2006-11-01 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-11-01 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Just back from the show. Was another good one as usual. There were a few repeats from the other 3 shows but all in all it was good.

Some highlights:

Dire Wolf
Greasy Jungle
38 Years Old
Fireworks
Gift Shop
Are we Family

Other older ones they played were Twist my Arm, ABAC, M@W, NOIS, Summer Is Killing Us, Blow...

I was a little let down with the encore of SIKU, WC and Blow but can't really complain as the energy was fantastic. Family Band is flying out in front for my favorite new live song. Great stuff.

I'm off to bed.
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Summer really almost killed it for me, luckily Blow saved it
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

aaronck wrote:Summer really almost killed it for me
I'm not a big fan of that song on the album, but I think it kicks ass live. I love when Robby rips into his solo on the "That Night in Toronto" DVD. Gives me chills every time.
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

I'm damn near too drunk to type, but for all of you who are wondering... here's the setlist:

1. Lonely End Of The Rink
2. Twist My Arm
3. In View
4. ABAC
5. Drop Off
6. Dire Wolf (!)
7. Gift Shop
8. Fly
9. Fireworks
10. Pretend
11. 38 Years Old (!!!!)
12. Music At Work
13. Luv(sic)
14. Are We Family
15. Kids
16. Greasy Jungle (holy shit batman... this rocked!)
17. Ocean
18. New Orleans Is Sinking
19. Family Band
---
20. Summer
21. World Container
22. Blow At High Dough

So I know I've said this before, but everyone I talked with tonight agrees that Pretend and WC are momentum-killers. I don't want to say that they're bad.... but the Flames look down on them. That's bad.

Kudos to the crowd tonight - hands down, they made the difference. Tonight was, as Gord describes it - "honest rock and roll". Hope you were there.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

The show was great, but I wasn't as happy with the non-WC song selection as I was on Saturday night. There wasn't really a jaw-dropping moment, but Greasy Jungle was AMAZING. Best live version I've ever heard.

I agree that Pretend is a momentum killer - but I don't like the song so I'm pretty biased in that regard. To me it was a chance to run out back and grab a beer.

Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow night in Vancouver!
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

The setlist was the weakest of the 4 nights for sure, and I was dissapointed that of all the songs they could've repeated, it was Music at Work. 38 years old was great, Twist my arm really got me going, Dire Wolf was fantastic, and Family was pretty good as well, but Summer was pretty bad all around. I wish I had gone Monday....
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

aaronck wrote:The setlist was the weakest of the 4 nights for sure, and I was dissapointed that of all the songs they could've repeated, it was Music at Work. 38 years old was great, Twist my arm really got me going, Dire Wolf was fantastic, and Family was pretty good as well, but Summer was pretty bad all around. I wish I had gone Monday....
Disagree, I think/thought Night #2 was only "amazing", where the other three have ranked has "phenomenal".
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

gambler wrote: So I know I've said this before, but everyone I talked with tonight agrees that Pretend and WC are momentum-killers.
I couldn't disagree more. After the Sunday show my friends and I all agreed that those two songs were definite highlights. WC has such a great melody, and Gord's vocals really shine on that tune. Not to mention it sounds so much cooler than the album version.
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

They were highlights compared to Summer, I'll give you that...I think that maybe 3 or four songs will survive to future tours, Dropoff, Rink, Family Band, others maybe in the running are World container and maybe Ocean. Love will be a lesser heard gem, this is my prediction.

I just want to know why Calgary got repeats? Did they allow the CJAY guys do the setlist? they LOVE repeats
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

Thanx a million BigA for getting all these clips to us, and so fast!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Corby wrote:Thanx a million BigA for getting all these clips to us, and so fast!
Agreed. That solo of Robbie's at the end of Greasy was just killer! Great anticipation to know to pan to Robbie during that part Adrian!

Great work!
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

aaronck wrote:The setlist was the weakest of the 4 nights for sure, and I was dissapointed that of all the songs they could've repeated, it was Music at Work.
They also repeated NOIS, ABAC, and Blow. All seemed to be crowd pleasers though so I guess I can see why. I'd still have liked to see some different tunes in there though. Oh well, still a great show.

Thanks for getting those videos up so quick Big A. Great work. :thumb:
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
Corby wrote:Thanx a million BigA for getting all these clips to us, and so fast!
Agreed. That solo of Robbie's at the end of Greasy was just killer! Great anticipation to know to pan to Robbie during that part Adrian!

Great work!
Your welcome, did them quickly as I was waiting for my plane this morning.
Now I am home I can start to get back to my editing.
I am not putting any time lines on these shows, but they will all be released.
I have 3 angles to work with.