2006-10-28 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-10-28 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
Last edited by mrlayance on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just received an email from a fan at the show that read "fiddlers green. they just played it."

Unbelievable!
Naga
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Naga »

chris wrote:I just received an email from a fan at the show that read "fiddlers green. they just played it."

Unbelievable!

No fucking way.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

chris wrote:I just received an email from a fan at the show that read "fiddlers green. they just played it."

Unbelievable!
what!!!! I can't believe I'm stuck in Saskatoon on business until Monday.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Unbelievable!
Is this for real? Can't believe it. Why do I have to be sitting in a hotel in Saskatoon? Monday can't get here soon enough.
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

Holy......

I hope this is being recorded.
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

Just got back - consider it confirmed. They did play it. I was at the show with my wife and another couple who didn't quite get the significance......

All of WC was played, with the exception of Last Night.

Here's what I recall of the older material (in no particular order, except NOIS was the 2nd song of the night and On The Verge was the last):

On The Verge
Wheat Kings
Fiddler's Green
My Music at Work
NOIS
We'll Go Too
Nautical Disaster
50 MC
Use It Up
Springtime In Vienna
((EDIT add:)) Boots or Hearts
Last edited by cferneyh on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

googolplex wrote:Holy......

I hope this is being recorded.
We were to the right of the soundboard (if you were facing the stage) and I saw two cameras.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

They played it!! Nobody around me quite got the significance of it either. I've taken that song off my "List of songs" because, well...come on, you've taken it off your list too. I thought Gord was fucking around when he announced, "Fiddlers Green"...jesus, man...they played it!!! Holy f**k is all I can say!

I'm gonna take a shot at the setlist...actually, I can't quite remember the order, at all. Here's a go.

Rink
NOIS
In View
Use It Up
ABAC
The Drop Off
M@W
LuvSic
Springtime
Nautical
Kids
Fiddlers
World Container
Boots Or Hearts
Fly
Wheat Kings
50 Mission
Family Band
Ocean

Encore:
Pretend
We'll Go Too
Verge

I think that has it, but I know the order is wrong. They were tight as hell, and as has been mentioned, Gord's singing is on. The new songs sounded fantastic...standouts for me were:

Kids - the crowd was really getting into this song
Rink - same as above
Family Band - what can I say...I knew this song was going to kill live, and it most certainly does.
In View - another crowd favorite that comes off very good live.
Ocean - I thought it sounded real good.
Drop Off - what a doozie live!

Fly - It sounded to me like they out of tune for half of the song. I was so looking forward to hearing this live, and it really let me down.
Pretend - This one's a mood killer...not the best choise (IMHO) for an encore opener.

Then of course there is everything else which sounded terrific. It's been almost 2 years since my last show, and boy did it feel nice to be back. I always love ABAC, so of course that was a treat.

I'm tired...they all sounded great, and did I mention, they played Fiddlers!!
Last edited by Billy on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
TragHip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by TragHip »

cferneyh wrote:Just got back - consider it confirmed. They did play it. I was at the show with my wife and another couple who didn't quite get the significance......

All of WC was played, with the exception of Last Night.

Here's what I recall of the older material (in no particular order, except NOIS was the 2nd song of the night and On The Verge was the last):

On The Verge
Wheat Kings
Fiddler's Green
My Music at Work
NOIS
We'll Go Too
Nautical Disaster
50 MC
Use It Up
Springtime In Vienna
Add Boots or Hearts to the list.

Wicked set, Fiddler's Green was sweet.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

You know, I hate people calling bullshit... I've seen it on too many other boards. If there's anyone here I trust, it's Chris, even if he is a 4 and 1/2 hour flight away.

But still... excuse the language, but holy fucking shit.

There, that's all I can say.

Cheers,

Pat
sgryzko
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by sgryzko »

WOW. I seriously couldn't believe my ears when he said "This one's called Fiddler's Green"

I was so in awe when they played it, and I had to explain how huge it was to my two friends and girlfriend.
sgryzko
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by sgryzko »

The best Hip show I have ever seen!!!!*

*Only my second show

But seriously, I couldn't have asked for more. They played all of WC except LNIDYDLM, which is my least favorite new song.

We were probably about 5 layers of people from the front, and right in the middle. Love the small venue.

Was that the first time they played NOIS since Katrina? I thought I heard in an interview that they decided not to play NOIS live anymore. But hey, Gord also said that he didn't plan on playing Fiddler's.
Last edited by sgryzko on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

hotmetal401 wrote:You know, I hate people calling bullshit... I've seen it on too many other boards. If there's anyone here I trust, it's Chris, even if he is a 4 and 1/2 hour flight away.

But still... excuse the language, but holy fucking shit.

There, that's all I can say.

Cheers,

Pat
Believe you me, they played it. I am still in shock, but they most certainly pulled it out. There were a few parts where they were off key, but I should only expect as much. Am I correct in thinking that is the first time it's ever been played? Holy shit!!
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

sgryzko wrote:The best Hip show I have ever seen!!!!*

*Only my second show

But seriously, I couldn't have asked for more. They played all of WC except LNIDIDLY, which is my least favorite new song.

We were probably about 5 layers of people from the front, and right in the middle. Love the small venue.

Was that the first time they played NOIS since Katrina? I thought I heard in an interview that they decided not to play NOIS live anymore. But hey, Gord also said that he didn't plan on playing Fiddler's.
I don't think so, but I'm too lazy to confirm when exactly it was played since.