2006-10-28 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Ponch
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Ponch »

WOW!!! My wife and I just got back from the show.

I can't believe they played FIDDLER's GREEN!!! I thought the same thing when Gord said this one is called... and I thought, ya right and they will go into something rockin...but NO. I just can't believe it. Verge was amazing in closing the show. It is the ultimate show closer as far as I'm concerned. I can add both Verge and We'll Go Too to my list of songs to hear live.

Anyway, the band was tight, and rockin out hard. Love the new stuff, it is simply rock n roll, and sounds great live.

This was my first show out in Alberta since we moved out here in the spring and I can't wait for #2 tomorrow, and #3 wednesday.
Who the hell knows what else they might pull out. She Didn't Know? Born in the Water? When the Weight Comes Down? Who knows?!?
But this tour, along with the full Canadian winter tour should be more than interesting. I can't wait to see the setlists from the upcoming shows.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

Ponch wrote: Who the hell knows what else they might pull out. She Didn't Know? Born in the Water? When the Weight Comes Down? Who knows?!?
But this tour, along with the full Canadian winter tour should be more than interesting. I can't wait to see the setlists from the upcoming shows.
The only other 2 I have on my list of songs that I want to see in my lifetime are, Get Back Again and Another Midnight. I still can't believe I got to scratch one off tonight.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

they played fiddler's what???... this one's called what green???
TragHip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by TragHip »

sgryzko wrote: Was that the first time they played NOIS since Katrina? I thought I heard in an interview that they decided not to play NOIS live anymore. But hey, Gord also said that he didn't plan on playing Fiddler's.
They've played it since then... but has it been with the changed chorus like tonight?

"New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna help"
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

15 years later they break out Fiddler's Green? Well all bets are off now!
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

*numerous expletives deleted*

I can't believe I'm stuck at bloody work, holed up in a frigging crappy cubicle in the middle of the night with nothing to do but read yesterday's paper... stuck here for an extra hour to boot account the damn time change... and I MISSED FIDDLER'S GREEN FOR THIS???

I didn't think this night could get any shittier. I was wrong.

On the bright side... all bets are off - anything is possible! I thought that seeing Montreal in Montreal a few years ago would be the highlight of my "rarities"... maybe not!

Holy cow - how am I supposed to sleep today?
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

But...we made so many jokes about it......

This band is fantastic.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

I'm glad everyone had a great night. It seems like it was a pretty special gig. :D

I wonder what made them play Fiddlers Green after all this time? Interesting.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

OK, I rarely pipe in to show review threads, unless I've been at the show in question, but them playing Fiddler's Green last night deserves a reply:

JUMPIN' CRIMINY!!!!!!!!!! I'm in shock!! Like the rest of you, I wrote this song off long long ago, along with Born in the Water and Emergency. Here they are, pulling out all of these golden oldies to warm up for the "Canadian" tour, and I'll miss them all being out here in Halifax.... yargh!

Rory
Halifax
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

NOIS has been played numerous times this year - without any significant/intentional lyrical modifications.
cferneyh wrote:
googolplex wrote:Holy......

I hope this is being recorded.
We were to the right of the soundboard (if you were facing the stage) and I saw two cameras.
This show, along with every other club show is being recorded by fans. There should be at least two audio and two video rigs at each of the Calgary and Vancouver shows.

The two tapers are great guys (both are Hipbasers - BigA & markslog), just don't go talk to them until the show is over - wouldn't want to ruin a recording by hearing nothing but you talking to them.

As with every show, you'll be able to find these on the tracker at some point.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Well i cant believe the day is here where they broke out fiddlers. I would like to hear MAv' point of view on this, and if its a possibiity to be a song of the day?

Im happy they are playing EVERYTHING but sad i cant go to them all.

Congrats to all that heard it for the first time in a billion years
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Congrats to all that heard it live! Sorry that there weren't more that got the significance. Would never have happened if they had played it night four in Toronto instead of 38 (and I can't believe that I just said that).

Matt (Sirmatticus) had a chance to talk to Gord D. after the third Toronto show. He mentioned to Gord D. that he was in awe of how the setlists were panning out. Gord D. said to him: "Frankly, I am too. You never know what's going to be next!" and he winked at him. So there you go!

I guess they really have gone back through and practiced their entire catalog so really anything is possible!
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote: I guess they really have gone back through and practiced their entire catalog so really anything is possible!
If they play "I'm a werewolf baby" im outta here
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

gratts99 wrote:
Man-Sized Eldorado wrote: I guess they really have gone back through and practiced their entire catalog so really anything is possible!
If they play "I'm a werewolf baby" im outta here
Why? Are you a ....werewolf? :lol: :lol: :lol:
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just like the rest of you, I'm in utter shock and disbelief that they played "Fiddler's Green". Perhaps tonight they'll bust out "Get Back Again".

Also, not to be the forum police or anything, but I just noticed that all of you posted in the wrong thread (last night's show was Oct. 28th). Must have been the Fiddler's Green high messin' with your heads, lol.

:D