2006-10-28 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Absolutely Fantastic! That might be one of the best live vocal performances From Downie in years! What HEART! Thanks for posting the link!!!
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

As I wait for the video to load I am filled with a sense of awestruck fascination, this is too cool for words. Thanks for posting it so fast. I wonder if this is a one time deal, or FG will become a set list staple?
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

FG sounded like a bit of a work in progress (I mean that in a good way)... not that it was bad (only one little chord misque at the start) but I think it could evolve into a terrific live "staple" or a least be brought out several times a tour. I like the way the entire band starts building towards the climactic final jam at the end....kind of reminds me of how the band now plays Wheat Kings live!
jvjones
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jvjones »

I can not beleive that I did not make the Regina-Calgary trip...even more than that, I can't believe I did not see the message on Friday about the extra tickets being made available...I would have been there...Saturday, Sunday, maybe Monday............and beyond all that I can't believe they played Fiddler's Green!!! I too had goosebumps just watching it on Youtube.

Anyways, Billy, Bauer, and all the rest in attendance, suffice it to say I am very, very jealous....

Jay
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

sgryzko wrote:Was that the first time they played NOIS since Katrina? I thought I heard in an interview that they decided not to play NOIS live anymore.
I think its the first time they've played NOIS since last week in Toronto. (the Monday night show at the Phoenix?).

NOIS was briefly dropped from sets around Katrina-time (not that they were playing a whole lot of shows around Katrina time anyway), but is now back in the semi-regular rotation of all their classics, although no longer a lock for every setlist.

Be happy with Fiddler's Green -- no need to go inventing rarities.

ct
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

Unbelievable.

I just watched it (thanks for getting it up so quick!), and I still don't believe it.

Best. Band. Ever.
MikeS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by MikeS »

:shock:

'nuf sed.
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

that was pretty cool
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Damn, and I thought I'd be the first to post a video! Oh well, his is better anyway. I do have a shit-ton of photos that I'll put up later, though. Best Hip show I've ever seen, by far (it was #10, I think). Perfect spot, near-perfect setlist, fantastic performance from the band, and the biggest surprise possible. I may rant and rave later, but for now, some interesting information - songs soundchecked but not played:

It's a Good Life (for like 20 minutes)
Are We Family?
Another Midnight
Emperor Penguin

I was pretty sad when neither of the latter two was played. I actually thought I heard bits of Fiddler's Green very early in the soundcheck (before anyone was lined up), but completely discounted it, because, well - you know. Also, Rob played the Emergency riff right before they went into Family Band. I'm not sure if someone yelled it at him, or what.
Last edited by daylight on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

They sound checked "Another Midnight" Wow? That is one of my favorite songs ever and I don't think it's been included in any setlists since my first show in 95. It's interesting to see how much it actually pops up on this site, it seems like alot of people are interested in that one! This looks like they're going to put on one hell of an arena tour, this could get more expensive than I had planned!
headstoner
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by headstoner »

what can i say that hasnt been said. amazing show had a really great time got to hear the hip play a song theyve never played live. ya good times.

j
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

hip wrote:They sound checked "Another Midnight" Wow? That is one of my favorite songs ever and I don't think it's been included in any setlists since my first show in 95. It's interesting to see how much it actually pops up on this site, it seems like alot of people are interested in that one! This looks like they're going to put on one hell of an arena tour, this could get more expensive than I had planned!
Wow is right. It's also one of my favorite Hip songs ever. I don't know what I'd do if I heard ever heard it live. Probably keel over from a heart attack right then and there.

OK, I seriously need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and follow the Hip on the road full time. :)
Bosman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Bosman »

Wow... I hadn't visited here since Saturday morning, so I just read this now and watched the video.

Putting aside all the mystery and lore surrounding the song, it is really one of my favourites. One that I've always wanted to hear live, but like so many others, had come to grips with the fact it was unlikely to happen.

It sucks that I didn't experience it firsthand, but even watching the video, I really don't know what to say about it. I got the shivers too.

It didn't seems as though Gord was very comfortable with it. The long intro, shaky beginning. It may have had something to due with never performing it, but it also looked like it took a lot of the guy to actually sing it. It made for a very personal and vulnerable situation.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Bosman wrote:It didn't seems as though Gord was very comfortable with it. The long intro, shaky beginning. It may have had something to due with never performing it, but it also looked like it took a lot of the guy to actually sing it. It made for a very personal and vulnerable situation.
Yeah, I don't know if it's shown in the video, but he turned around for a good 30 seconds to a minute and didn't face the crowd until he started singing. It was obviously a pretty emotional situation for him, and I'm impressed that he carried himself as well as he did. Hell, I was almost crying for a minute there.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I just don't understand why now was the time to play it. I'm sure its come up in conversation before. And why would Gord agree to it finally? I hope someone gets to ask him in the near future!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston