2006-11-04 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

thanks for posting those vids Big A, you work quick!

I am glad to see Tiger out in rotation again. I love that track, it is so hard-hitting, blows me away every time I have the pleasure to witness it live.

How did they recreate the cello? Was it done on guitar, or did they generate it from the sound board like they often do for the beat going in to ABAC?

Thanks!
Last edited by LoftyPines on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

the sample at the beginning of Tiger and the beat for ABAC and Lake Feaver are generated from Mr. Fay's electric drum pad, there samples and he just hits a certain trigger to start/stop them.

Except on the evening with tour, it was Chris Brown
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

very cool. Although I remember at one of the Bayfest shows in Sarnia, the beat for ABAC started before anyone was on stage, going into the encore. Then Johnny came out and pounded the skins for a bit, then the rest of the band joined him.
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Looks like an amazing setlist. And Las tnight instead of Fly...good trade!
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

This band blows me away time after time..what a great show..no Opiated, but no complaints from me..Tiger was a definate highlight..nautical never dissapoints, and a great version of Locked.....38..what can u say..wow...finally got to here it live....never seen a crowd so "into" an accoustic number..a few dicks in the crowd near the front, so i moved to the back of the bar and enjoyed the rest of the nite...my niece got to see her first hip show and was blown away...great night!!!!!!
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

My 3rd Hip show and by far the best yet!!! I was near the front and got to see Gord at his very best. So much energy and the new songs sounded fantastic live. 'Family Band' was the perfect opener.
I got my wish for them to play 'Last night I dreamed' and I was not disappointed!! Everyone was so in to it and I thought 'Nautical' was going to take the roof off!!!! Wonderful, wonderful show.
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

VioletLite wrote:My 3rd Hip show and by far the best yet!!! I was near the front and got to see Gord at his very best. So much energy and the new songs sounded fantastic live. 'Family Band' was the perfect opener.
I got my wish for them to play 'Last night I dreamed' and I was not disappointed!! Everyone was so in to it and I thought 'Nautical' was going to take the roof off!!!! Wonderful, wonderful show.
were you the one who kept tuggin on my jeans??? if so...thanks!!
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

Oooooooooh was I?!!! Everyone was tugging everyone really weren't they (so to speak), it was so crazy....... HAHA!! :oops:
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

VioletLite wrote:Oooooooooh was I?!!! Everyone was tugging everyone really weren't they (so to speak), it was so crazy....... HAHA!! :oops:

lol...it was nuts...don't be embarrassed..i should have introduced myself..
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

HAHAHHA!! You should have said Hi!!! That is really funny!! It was nuts. The crowd up the front was permanently going like this :jump and I got slammed around a fair bit. Worth it though :)
Spycouple
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Spycouple »

Here's a clip from last night.. "Scared". Thanks to markslog for the audio as it was obviously loud right where i was standing, and my ears don't like me much today. Had earplugs but they were in a bag with my camera which I inadvertently left in New Orleans last Sunday (shaking head :( ). Borrowed a pretty sweet camera but it was very touchy. Some good shots regardless; this clip's not too bad.

Here y'are...

http://www.karmafia.com/thesis/travelogue/Scared.html

(There's a link to an mp4 on the page as well, should you have an iPod Video or similar device)
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Great stuff spycouple! Are we going to see a Hip show edited by you in the near future?

It would be great to have another editor!
Spycouple
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Spycouple »

chris wrote:Great stuff spycouple! Are we going to see a Hip show edited by you in the near future?

No, but you may see a book! :D

Here's another clip, thanks again to markslog's audio, as well as bigA's extra tickets.

http://www.karmafia.com/thesis/travelog ... odore.html

EDIT: here's a download link to the mp4. EDIT EDIT: Hmmm, looks like YouSendIt.com now requires signing up an account in order to download. Oh well.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... E157A31803

enjoy!

-jf
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

One major highlight for me was during Lake Fever (song #4.)

Well, I was right up at the front on the rail directly in front of Gord S, about maybe 10 feet to Gord D's left and during the brief pause after the "break the hearts of everyone" line, I yelled the Live bit he always does ("and thats a lot of hearts") and he heard me and just as he said the line himself, he quickly looked over, somewhat 'surprised' if that is the right word to describe the look. I am surprised he kept his place. :lol: Early on in the night, GD knew I was hardcore. Surely that helps get him jazzed.

Another highlight was one moment when Robbie hit a funny little note. Probably noone noticed. But, I was watching GD and heard the note and I turned my head and looked directly at RB's guitar because it sounded like it came right from it! Well, Robbie noticed that I noticed and we looked at each other with a mutual 'whoops what was that funny noise?' look. He had just a hint of embarrassment, but mostly it was 'whatever, shit happens.' I think he was a little surprised I picked it out. Felt like I bonded with him there. :)

It seemed like Johnny watched me for all of Boots or Hearts. I sooo had their groove there.

It seemed Paul watched me a lot too, particularly at the beginning. Not sure though. I had to behave myself for fear of him kicking my ass.
At the beginning of the night, some young lady next to me, that I met before the show was overcome with emotion and started to cry. I only noticed because I noticed GD GS and RB's body language and their facial expressions and them looking to my right. Might pick this up on the bigA's video when/if it is released. I told her before the show that she will never be the same and to prepare to have her world rocked. She hadnt seen them before and was front row in front of Robbie. Nice first experience.

Watching Gord Sinclair's bass work from so close is so incredible. He grooves better than anyone, and I got his setlist which was rather scuffed up and damp, presumably from his sweat. :lol: Two saturday's in a row I got his setlist, with the first one being when Fiddler's Green was 1st played.

I shot tonnes of pics and vids with my digital camera up at the front and I think they all noticed and Gord did lots of hamming-it-up. Gave me some amazing pics. I had my Oilers jersey on, just like the last few shows I have been to, so maybe that helps.

Also, at the end of On the Verge, it looked like Gord waved the last gracious goodbye directly to my digital camera. He even seemed to pause there for a sec in order to do it. Wishful thinking i know.

I doubt I will never top this concert. Only thing that woulda made it truly perfect woulda been meeting up with the band, but I sorta felt like I did meet the band.

Thanks so much guys.
Spycouple
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Spycouple »

Spycouple wrote:
chris wrote:Great stuff spycouple! Are we going to see a Hip show edited by you in the near future?
No, but you may see a book! :D
Apparently I spoke too soon... Download Trailer from HERE

-jf