2006-11-04 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-11-04 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me hear opiated on this night, one of which will go down in legendary status for Vancouver shows..that i'm sure
Woodrov
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Woodrov »

opiated wrote:PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me hear opiated on this night
Opiated + Grace, too = happy me.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

8 words....

Daredevil
Fiddler's Green
Pigeon Camera
Lionized
Wheat Kings

very, very, good. I can't write anything more than that right now. I'm mostly in shock.

What a way to kick off the 4 night stand here in Vancouver. It was an amazing night and I'm sure I'll write more about it later but the above are the highlights for sure.

lates,
aaron
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

as jealous as i am that you heard fiddlers green, you've posted in the wrong thread.....
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

The Hip are so great that they can play Daredevil, FG, PC, Lionized, and WK before they've even played them. Awesome!
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

yes, i now realize that. i was quite excited when i got home after the show and in my exuberance i guess i just clicked on the wrong thread.

Lance, can you either delete or move these posts? Or can anyone tell me how to delete old posts? Thanks.

lates,
aaron
DSI
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by DSI »

A big cngrats to mark tonight for his 200th show :) :D :D :D
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Yeah, what Dustin said...Congrats Mark...If I may share one of my few Mark memories...

Having met up with all the 'basers who made the trip over t'Europe in London last summer, we shared some beers the night before the London show, and for most of us, it was our first time meeting each other...All the dudes struck me as genuine, honest yet mild-mannered music lovers...The quietest of all being Mark, who although was on the verge of 200 shows, still didn't resemble any of the stereotypes you'll find at a Hip show...Anyway, as the sun began to set and some beers turned into many, our craving for Das Hips began t'grow...We gathered up the courage t'ask the Australan bartender to throw on Live Between Us...minutes later (After starting the disc one song in) we were whisked back to Cobo Hall and into Fully, Completely...clearly we all sang along with ease, but once the driving, raging finale hit, I look up across from me t'see the once mild-mannered Mark, who could barely contain himself...He was nearly jumping out of his seat, banging the arm rests as hard as Johnny would, singing louder than anyone in the bar...I smiled thinking how much fun it must have been t'do that at close t'200 shows...

Anyway, hope it was a beauty for ya tonight Mark...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

The Heron Outside wrote:Yeah, what Dustin said...Congrats Mark...If I may share one of my few Mark memories...

Anyway, hope it was a beauty for ya tonight Mark...
It is amazing what 100 pints will do!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

family band
courage
in view
lake fever
drop off
bob c
last night
fully
pretend
boots
luv
music
kids
nautical
scared
ocean
locked rink
tiger
world
verge
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

It was a beauty of a show. The band was tight and they were on fire! It still amazes me how much Gord sweats! After two songs the man was drenched, head to toe, along with his bandana. It's some talent he has.

Anyways the setlist and the crowd rocked. Was right up front and Gord was Gord in all his glory, rockin' out and kickin' ass. I think he managed to destroy 4 mic stands tonight alone! At one point he actually handed out the broken pieces of one stand into the crowd (I got his setlist instead). This was a dangerous move as these pieces could probably have been weilded as weapons (stand part and the weighted base part) but thankfully the fans who received them kept them to themselves!

I have to say top to bottom the setlist was fantastic! Courage, Boots or Hearts, Fully Completely, 38 Years Old, Locked in Trunk of a Car, Nautical Disaster, Scared, On the Verge...it was just chock full of Hip goodness. Also all the new songs sounded great and they all had this energy and urgency driving them, it was great!

That's about it for Vancouver #2. Goodnight and we'll see you Monday!

lates,
aaron
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

anesthesiologist wrote: I think he managed to destroy 4 mic stands tonight alone! At one point he actually handed out the broken pieces of one stand into the crowd (I got his setlist instead). This was a dangerous move as these pieces could probably have been weilded as weapons (stand part and the weighted base part) but thankfully the fans who received them kept them to themselves!

aaron
I was right next to the guy that got the mic stand base and I videod the whole song on my digital camera including Gord destroying the stand and handing out the base. (Gord actually gave it to the guys girlfriend but they both grabbed it. Gord then told him to let go.)
The sound sorta sucks and the vid is dark for the first 1:30 or so of that song (Nautical Disaster.)
The only relevant part is the last 30seconds or so where gord destroys the mic stand and brings it over and gives it to the people next to me.
I can YouTube a couple vids if anyone wants. The sound is crummy but maybe if you turn low, but this is some front row footage of Gord at his finest.
I got a few amazing pics too...
Also, for the second Saturday in a row, I got Gord Sinclair's setlist! He danced on it all night long I think and it is rather trodden on.
Last edited by kelman66 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.