2006-11-07 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

prairieman wrote:This tour has been just what the band and the fans needed.......can't wait for January to roll around :D
Man...I couldn't agree more.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Great Show
However I do admit I was dissapointed no really rare gems where played during this show.

Highlights
Sherpa Unreal it was amazing tune and jam
Chargin Falls best intro i have ever seen , would have been awesome if they said f**k it and went into something crazy like thugs or something
100th was absolutely amazing gordie went nuts times 800, microphone stand rant and him being gord
Grace was amazing crowd sang most of it
World Contain-Her - name says it all

Gord looked a tired and beat,

It was still a good show but I wouldnt call it a great show

Sidenote:
I saw the hip are selling world container hats (painter jcrew gap hat that gord wears) I thought that was a little cheesy of them, makes you wonder if gord is wearing the cap to sell a few extra peices of merchandise
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

makes you wonder if gord is wearing the cap to sell a few extra peices of merchandise
if it was a justin timberlake concert I might wonder that ^, but it's The Hip, and I for one do not believe that they are driven in any way by the sales of merch, but that is just my opinion, and you, of course, are entitled to yours!
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

No I agree with you 100 percent !
But it just seems odd that all of a sudden have world container painter caps for (no idea what the cost is but I would say prob at least 25 bucks) !

If you dont believe that they are driven by sales of merchandise than why are they charging 35 bucks for a t shirt ?

Either way they are great to see live, but i dont think Gord and the boys are running a charity for starving hip fans

Although Kudos to the boys for keeping ticket prices some what reasonable!
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

I think the hats were going for 30 bucks, which, when i think of it, is a little steep for what you get. I don't know what type of material they are made of, so not sure if it is worth the 30 bucks.

You make a good point about the T-shirts, but I don't know how much control they have over that...if any.....
Although Kudos to the boys for keeping ticket prices some what reasonable!
I agree with that

[/code]
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

The hat thing is what kinda angered me

I just thought it was super cheesy the fact that all of a sudden you can buy gords hat for $30! It just seemed wierd that they would sell that!

I am no a big fan of concert t shirts, but i guess everyone has to make a buck
ceebuler
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ceebuler »

I don't think it's being marketed as "Gord's hat". It's just a newish style of hat that's becoming popular. Gord has his own, and they're selling them because they think that's becoming a popular style.

Or maybe you're right that it's a Gordie hat, but so what? How is that any different than buying a shirt that says the band's name in big letters? Gord wears a Tragically Hip toque sometimes, so why can't the fans wear a Gordie hat? Paul Langlois' leather jacket says "The Tragically Hip" on the sleeve.

It's available, but no one has to buy it.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Did you buy it?
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Paul Langlois' leather jacket says "The Tragically Hip" on the sleeve.
Now that IS something I would pay big bucks for since good leather jackets are $$ but worthit. Anyway, I think we're getting a bit off topic here, sorry about that.

I agree that the "all of a sudden gord hat" thing is a bit strange due to the fact that he is wearing one constantly as of late

Anyway, I am soo glad I got a chance to see them on this club tour, the band really seems to have a new energy that they are infusing into the show, most people I have spoken too that caught a Calgary show or a Van show said that Gord was more animated and happy than ever....so these are good signs for the upcoming Arena Tour, I am hoping that they can bring that to the masses.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

I couldnt agree more with you

Its nice to see the hip playing at a high energy level!

They look reborned on stage, it is also interesting how gord goes off with the mic and how comfortable he looks with his Guitar i remember when he first started playing it 95 tour dare devil he looked super akward

Now he even has his moves with it

Its great!
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Now he even has his moves with it
yea i noticed that too, about time he and the guitar became "one"

wonder what the score is between Gord and the Mic Stand, I think Gord is winning the battle, but will he win the war?

so what was the capacity at the commodore? I think it was about 1500-2000 at Mac Hall, but I'm not sure..I didn't look behind me
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

I think its 2k but it felt like nothing

you could walk right up to the stage if you wanted

what was the deal with the bar tenders there

I was in a rush to get back to the show so i ran up and asked for a water and made me apoligize to some lady behind me for budding !

I thouhgt that was a little odd

ohhhhhhh the commodore !
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

blah, blah, blah...more talk about the show and the songs and the energy...less talk about what you guys think about the Hip's marketing strategies.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

did you find the energy lacking during the first few songs?
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

eatmecompletely wrote:The hat thing is what kinda angered me

I just thought it was super cheesy the fact that all of a sudden you can buy gords hat for $30! It just seemed wierd that they would sell that!

I am no a big fan of concert t shirts, but i guess everyone has to make a buck
You shouldn't let it bother you. They were selling those hats a few shows before Gord even started wearing a similar one on stage. There is 0% chance he is wearing it to make some extra $. It is just not the way they do business. They are there to entertain and do what they do best...create and play fantastic "honest" Rock-N-Roll!

Also, the hats are completely different. Personally I wouldn't spend $30 on it anyways...I went for the track jacket.