2006-11-07 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

eatmecompletely wrote:did you find the energy lacking during the first few songs?
The crowd or the band?

I would say no on both accounts..in TO anyways.
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

Drez7 wrote:There is 0% chance he is wearing it to make some extra $. It is just not the way they do business. They are there to entertain and do what they do best...create and play fantastic "honest" Rock-N-Roll!
Hey now ... didn't Johnny say that for $10,000 he'd put on a gorilla suit (or something similar) in the Macroscopic documentary. They can be bought and sold like the rest of us. I'm currently wearing a french maid's outfit that's netting me $8.75. You don't even wanna know.

ct
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Drez7 wrote:
eatmecompletely wrote:did you find the energy lacking during the first few songs?
The crowd or the band?

I would say no on both accounts..in TO anyways.
I would say both for sure

They were super chilled for the first half of the show looked like they were baked !
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

But they did pick it up by the end

100th was insane cant stress that enough

and gords dance with the broken mic was awesome

but they did look a little super chilled
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

I didn't see it mentioned but Gord was wearing the hat at the beginning of the summer, long before you could buy similar hats.

Gords hat at least the one I have countless pictures of from this summer) doesn't say anything on it, the one you can buy does.

As someone else mention, it is the trendy style of hat these days
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Yeh that is why it seems like they are trying to use his hat to make a quick buck

I am not putting them down by anymeans, everyone has to make a living somehow!
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

Gord's hat is also fullback, the ones you can purchase from the Hip are adjustable .
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

um, it's a friggin hat....didn't hear any complaints about them selling 50 mission caps back in the day....they are a band, they schill stuff, either you buy it or don't.....at least they are offering something different....what bothered me more was that at the 3 shows i attended in the summer, they were still trying to unload t shirts from magnetic hill and salmon fest....
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

Do you actually think its them that is coming up with this merchandise?
I'm sure they have some sort of marketing department.
Yes, I'm sure they have to approve the hat but it was probably someone else's idea.

My friend puts on big events and he told me once what it costs to hire them for a show- somethings like $500,000 but I could be way off.
Probably more like $100,000.

BUT - its not like you can hand pick a set-list, now that would be cool.
travellin' man
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by travellin' man »

so what was the capacity at the commodore? I think it was about 1500-2000 at Mac Hall, but I'm not sure..I didn't look behind me
The Commodore holds right around 1000 people, that's it. 1200 tops.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

The 50 mission caps where sweet!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

eatmecompletely wrote:The 50 mission caps where sweet!
Are you guys talking about these hats? Or were there other 50 mission hats The Hip were selling.
The hat shown here was never sold by The Hip.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Woodrov
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Woodrov »

travellin' man wrote:
so what was the capacity at the commodore? I think it was about 1500-2000 at Mac Hall, but I'm not sure..I didn't look behind me
The Commodore holds right around 1000 people, that's it. 1200 tops.
The capacity is 990. I think the only time they can go above that is for very special events and probably with special permission from the city (ie. Greg Moore Memorial a few years ago). I could be wrong.
webside
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by webside »

What a great show. I wished a few more of the rarities like fiddlers, on the verge, 38 and three pistols were played.

Thanks again to BigA for hooking me up. It was great to meet a few Henhousers.

Thanks,
Webside
bobthecritic
New Maybe
New Maybe

Dude!!!

Post by bobthecritic »

First of all...a big THANK YOU to Sarah for taking me to my first Hip show...EVER!!! And then she took me to my SECOND!!! That's right...I was de-virginized over two nights, and I loved it. Thanks Sarah...love you. Ok, enough mushy talk...back to the Hip. Anyhoo, I have to say that the boys are frickin' great live. You know how some songs just sound better live? Well, I discovered a few songs that I had already heard but didn't notice I liked them until I heard them performed in the flesh. The two songs that stick out are Dire Wolf and The Drop Off. I had heard both songs and kind of wrote them off at first but when I heard them performed live, I was blown away. The energy was incredible...100th Meridian...JESUS FLIPPIN' CHRIST!!! Do I really need to describe how I felt? Ok, I'll share...when I heard the intro to 100th Meridian my eyes got big and a huge smile was slapped onto my face. Initially, I had been hoping for Fiddler's but it had been played on Friday, I thought Wheat Kings would be nice to hear but that too had already been played. So I was down to three songs that I really, really wanted to hear live...Longtime Running, Bobcaygeon, and 100th Meridian. Well, on Tuesday we got Longtime and 100th Meridian. Sarah went nuts pretty much the whole time but I knew Longtime was one she was totally hoping for. I'm a believer of the saying, "GO BIG OR GO HOME". Well, Tuesday night the boys went BIG. Gord, microphone stand, the build up to the big finish of 100th...fork, stick me, done. I know the Hip have so many other songs and I like those too, but hearing 100th Meridian was the frosting on the cake for me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more Hip when they come out to States, but I wouldn't mind at all paying another visit to Canada to catch the boys out there. Thanks again Sarah for my introduction to The Tragically Hip. One day I hope to be a fanatic too...not just a fan. :thumb: