2006-11-10 - Montreal, PQ - Metropolis

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-11-10 - Montreal, PQ - Metropolis

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!

It was absolutely unreal. The crowd was very hyperactive, and I was right in the thick of it for a while. I had a bit of a strange spot in terms of people around us (a guy kept clapping me on the shoulder and yelling "YEEAAAH!" in my ear), but being 30ft from the stage was awesome.

I ended up moving around, and ended up just at the side of the soundboard where Dreyfus was taping. My dad, who came along for his second ever Hip show (his first was Toronto night 4) has got some fabulous pics, which I'll pass along shortly.

Setlist was nothing super-surprising, I'm not gonna attempt it, because there's so many people who will have it exactly, but it was a very solid show from start to finish. We did get Scared and Courage, which was really cool. I was half-hoping for Montreal, but we didn't get that...

Overall, though, well worth the trek from Nova Scotia. It was also nice to meet a couple of you at the end, when I met Dreyfus and, I believe, Mark. Like I said there, thank you so much for taping the shows, I appreciate it a lot!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Setlist - in order
Family Band
Courage
Ocean
Boots
Drop Off
Bobcaygeon
Fly
Nautical
Pretend
Long Time Running
Last Night I Dreamed
Fully Completely
38 Years Old
Kids Don't Get It
Springtime In Vienna
Scared
In View
Blow At High Dough
Lonely End Of The Rink

Encore
My Music At Work
World Container
Little Bones
Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

thanks for the review... another amazing setlist. With so many great songs to choose from I don't know how they decide what gets played and what doesn't.
Nice to see Bobcaygeon in there too. :D
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Great show, it might have been the most energenic crowd I've been in all year, the only downfall was the beer shower that I and my camera enjoyed for the last half hour. Last night was my 20th Hip show this year, it's been a hell of a year. It was nice to meet hipbasers all along the way and I'll see next year!
tragically.pat
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by tragically.pat »

another awesome set list eh? for those who went to both shows... which one was better?
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

second show was much better... better setlist ... better crowd... only complaint was the predictable encore... 1st nights encore was much better ... loved hearing Boots, LTR, 38... there always a pleasure to see on a setlist ... lastnight was my 17th hip show and it was truly a memorable one, i was beside the stage for the second night in a row and i dont think ill ever get that close to the band again ... cant wait for the 07 tour, i think its going to be something like there tour in 2000 in terms of setlist length and choice .... very exiciting... ill be at 6 more shows maybe more , see u all there...
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

Wow!! Simply amazing so many great classics and an awsome crowd. Every song off the new album sounded great and the crowd really seemed to enjoy them. The Drop Off and Last Night I dreamed were highlights for me last night. They weren't my favorite songs of WC before the show, but seeing them live has changed everything. Good on you boys..great show!
Nike
New Maybe
New Maybe

Hey

Post by Nike »

Can anyone explain why they never play Small Town Bringdown?

Went to the first Van show, awesome!!!

Thanks,
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: Hey

Post by fingernailsonhull »

Nike wrote:Can anyone explain why they never play Small Town Bringdown?

Thanks,
They just don't play anything from the EP anymore. I think they're not huge fans of it.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

I have to agree with everyone that is talking about the energy last night. The place was rockin'! I can't remember a time where every single person in the club was dancing and jumping and swinging their fists like their feet were on fire. It was unbelievable.

You could really see it in the band too. I don't remember a time when I saw Gord D. smile so much. He looked genuinely happy from start to finish. Rob and Gord S. always look happy, so that was no surprise. Paul always looks like his dog died, but he did crack a few grins last night. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that they were enjoying themseleves immensly, and that energy seeped it's way into the crowd.

Highlights for me were:

-Family Band (great opener)
-The Kids Don't Get It (I liked it on the CD, but wow, geez, live it's really incredible...really incredible...probably the highlight of the whole concert for me)
-Drop Off (really upbeat, really rockin')
-Blow (I don't think there is any other band in the world that can create that kind of energy with 1 song)
-M@W (not so much for the song itself, but the whole damn place was going bonkers)

Nice to run into Fran & Bob. Nice to see they are still as passionate as ever....and Fran, I am going to send you that setlist which contained Trickle Down as soon as I find it.

Honestly, the band was so good last night, it was as if seeing them for the very first time all over again.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here's a clip from last nights show: http://hipfans.com/?p=273
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Montreal Shows

Post by bobnfran »

We were extremely happy to see both shows. We got a great mix of music, had a ton of fun and saw so many ppl we know (but didn't know) from hipbase. That was SO cool!! Also making new friends along the way.

For us, first night hands down. But, that was our energy and our song picks. It's different for everyone. It was all good!! Friday had some great music too.

Friday night highlight for us was waiting for the boys to come out (we missed Rob Baker since he was out quick to head elsewhere and we went for coffee and cake) My Wheat Kings shirt now has Johnny, Paul and Gord D signatures so I'll have to work on the others. Gord Sinclair skirted right by everyone and got right on the van...unusual!! I got right on Johnny when he came out as he is the one who usually does that. He was great and LOVED my Wheat Kings shirt! Gord D is a special person...making sure to interact with everyone on an individaul level and asking your name and always writing more then just his name. Ricky was also real nice...flashing me a great smile when I asked how he was doing.

MAv was also there with the boys. Great meeting you MAv!! Chris...it was a pleasure getting to know you and sitting with you Friday night. (hope my chatter didn't drive you insane!) Dave and Mark Slog it's always a pleasure!! And everyone else we met...it was great!

Can't wait till spring...

Peace...Fran

(Andre...Trickle Down...I'm green!!)
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I found the overall crowd energy to be much greater tonight, and the boys seemed to feed off the it a great deal. Highlights for me were Gord accidentally disconnected his mic during Courage, and then doing a 'sperm and egg' routine to attach it. Also, really weird/amazing backwards high kicks (?) during Little Bones. Rob seemed to be REALLY into it during World Container. His eyes were shut the entire time, and we was mouthing all the words.

My personal highlight though was after Gord handed out all his picks, and bowed to the audience and said thank you. He then made eye contact with me, mouthed thank you to me (after I was screaming 'Thank you so much!'); he then crouched down to give me a pick and then said to me 'Thanks for coming both nights.' If found that phenomenally cool haha. Great to see everyone that I saw. What an unique city. Awesome first impressions of Montreal.

Awesome setlist as well, but I guess these days that pretty much goes without saying. Its kind of frustrating knowing how long it will probably be before I get to my next hip concert, but oh well, there's no such thing as free money (unless I send some money to a Nigerian bank account).

And I'll leave you with a useless tidbit: No songs were played from In Between Evolution at any of the Montreal shows.
Last edited by sean.bonner on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

As usual great show...it would have been better if I would have been there for the first 5 songs...the 2 girls I was with needed more time than expected "getting ready"

Watching from the balcony it was a pretty cool sight seeing the entire main floor "going off" like they did for Little Bones, that was the first time I have seen that level of energy at any Hip show. Missing out on Family Band and Ocean made the rest of the setlist seem a little hohum for me but I have nobody to blame for that than myself...and the vanity of girls.

Nice to run into Chris again, also Bob and Fran twas nice to meet you too...I missed you guys after the show backstage, but hopefully we will have a chance to grab that drink at the next show.