2006-12-31 - Chicago, IL - HOB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-12-31 - Chicago, IL - HOB

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Chris4613
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chris4613 »

You want to know what sucks about having to drive on New Years Eve? Not being hungover and up at 930 waiting to see a setlist. Hope it was a great show and Happy New Year to all :)
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

Being up at 9:30 also occurs if you have a 4-month old. C'mon setlist!

ct
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here's a rundown from a couple of the dicks who attended:

Soundcheck
Ahead by a century
Yer not the ocean
Jam with the tentative title of "dicks by association"

No fan taping: Denied due to cbs ... CBS are now affliliated dicks. By association.

Setlist
Lonely
No is sinking
Gus
Fully
Bobcaygeon
Meridian ----- 2007 cheer ---- back into meridian
Poets
Abac
In view
Courage
Springtime
Good life
Kids
Grace
Ocean
Nautical
Wheat
Blow
Family band
------
Pretend
Fireworks
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

No review yet? C'mon folks, give us something.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Well I'll try my best, I arrived at Marks place Saturday night so we could leave at 7am from Geulph. Up at 6:30am and on the road by 7am. We arrive in Chicago around 2pm and since we have some time to kill we walk all around the downtown core of the windy city. Around 5pm we decide to go pick up our tickets. As we enter the HOB we can here the band soundchecking Ocean, after which they did a little jam/extended intro to ABAC. After that Robby, Paul and Johnny leave through the exit near us. Some fans come to get autographs and Gord sneeks out the front door, but not before looking over at Mark and myself and giving me the nod. As he walks out one door Hugh (of "Hugh's Reviews" fame) and his wife walk in the other door, completely missing Gord. We never saw Gord S. leave. We chat for a while with Hugh and then decided to go sit down for a while before the show. The 1st band, called "Changes" I think, didn't really impress Mark or myself or anyone? Up next was Matisyahu of whom we had no idea of what to expect. Having heard that he was a jewish rapper we were a bit skeptical. As it turned out he was more like a jewish Bob Marley, his band was phenominal and the enitre act totally blew our minds, They made a lot of new fans last night. Finally it was time for the Hip, you've seen the setlist already so you know what was played. Nautical and Ocean were originally to follow Bobcaygeon but due to the time they went straight to 100th, then added Nautical and Ocean to the end of the main set. On the Verge was to end the setlist but not played. Grace was a fantastic rendition. Kid's was great too. My favorite part of the night was when Gord cleaned the screen of the TV, facing the stage (showing the broadcast). It was a classic Gord move. Don't know what else to say besides that this show was the longest running show of this year, just under 2hrs, there was a break for New Year's though so that could be were the extra minutes came from. It was too bad that we couldn't record the show but we got to be right up front with some other basers - Hugh, Joncage, Jennabird and Eshtete were with us up front as well. All in all it was a great show with loads of energy. After the show Mark and I went back to the car and drove back to Guelph, and then I drove back to Alliston, now it's time to sleep. Looking forward Jan 25th when it all starts for me again.
Last edited by dreyfuss on Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I think that dreyfuss' post confirms my suspicions that him and markslog are clinically insane.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

There has been no "official" diagnosis for either of us to be clinically insane,
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

It sounds like a great new year to me! :D
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

i was really hoping pretend would be dropped from the setlists..i'd much rather hear Last Night I dreamed, or World Container or Luv instead
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

How on god's earth Steve did you drive to Chicago for a concert that was 7 hours away and then drive back all night. That is totally awesome!!!
smellmysocks73
New Maybe
New Maybe

NYE with the HIP

Post by smellmysocks73 »

Great show last night at the Chicago HOB...

(Matisyahu was pretty good, too). The boys tore it up and played one of the longest sets of the year. Seeing the balloons drop and watching Gord bust into his own rendition of Auld Lang Syne was an experience.

Anybody get to record any of the show? They were being pretty strict about photos, etc. at the venue.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

dreyfuss is a super rock star! Sounds like an awesome show. Kids Grace Ocean Nautical is a great combo.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

thehip11 wrote:How on god's earth Steve did you drive to Chicago for a concert that was 7 hours away and then drive back all night. That is totally awesome!!!
Easy, markslogg drove, I just did my best to stay awake and in turn keep him awake. :mrgreen:
Dentrev
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Dentrev »

In Chicago here. I saw it on TV. Great show. My 5 year old girl thinks GD is hot. :scratch: I guess. Speaking as a man.