2006-07-11 - Amsterdam, NL - Paradiso

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-07-11 - Amsterdam, NL - Paradiso

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

First of all, I'm very tired, 2nd of all it was a great show tonight, this venue is spectacular, great vibe, lots of history, etc, etc, etc

Opened with Springtime, ended with Blow. The rest isn't in order and probably not all of them but here you go. NOIS, Rink, Gift Shop, Poets, Gus, Little Bones, Gems, Grace, Fire, 100th, Pretend, Heaven, Ocean, Lionized, I'm sure there are more, but as I said I'm tired.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

dreyfuss wrote:First of all, I'm very tired, 2nd of all it was a great show tonight, this venue is spectacular, great vibe, lots of history, etc, etc, etc

Opened with Springtime, ended with Blow. The rest isn't in order and probably not all of them but here you go. NOIS, Rink, Gift Shop, Poets, Gus, Little Bones, Gems, Grace, Fire, 100th, Pretend, Heaven, Ocean, Lionized, I'm sure there are more, but as I said I'm tired.

Opening with Springtime? Wow! They haven't done that since the Henhouse tour.
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Man, I really wish I was at this one!!!
Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Well it's the morning after, and I'm still convinced last night didn't happen...it was just that magical of a night... we (Once again) were the first ones through the doors, and found ourselves captivated by this haunting ol' joint...I mean, where have you ever seen a show with stained-glass windows lurking behind the stage? And walking into the venue hearing CCR blaring from the spakers didn't hurt much either...

Anyway Taxi To The Ocean gave it their all, good set, My Morning Jacket-ish, but I hear that compariosn gettin' thrown around a lot lately...

The boys were punctual as usual and treated us with another opener from Trouble At The Henhouse...I'd never heard Springtime as an opening tune, but it worked, it had a groove, it worked...

Setlist, in order-

Springtime
New Orleans (I loved it...they looked a little tense up there playin' this one, but they'd hit their stride through the jam...)
The Lonely End Of The Rink
Gus
Ahead By A Century
Gift Shop
Lionized (Even more powerful than London...there was a dedication in there, yah?)
Summer's Killin' Us
Bobcaygeon
Little Bones (An early surprise)
You're Not The Ocean
At The Hundredth Meridian
The Last Of The Unplucked Gems (Tooooo good...a three minute opening jam, complete with Gord taking a nap onstage t'let the rest of the gang show off their talent...)
Poets
Grace, Too (Finally)
Fire In The Hole (Another smokin' opening jam)

Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Pretend
Blow At High Dough

So they had it tonight, they certainely did...as I said, some sorta spell fell over the crowd...although, during Blow At High Dough, we saw a mild mosh pit ensue, avec one big dude getting tossed up into the crowd...he took a tumble over this Dutch girl in the first row, which clearly aggrivated Gord...he took a bit of a segueway during the tune to hand the girl a few bottles of water, make sure she was alright...

Anyway, a truly special night...they hit their stride early on and refused t'let go of that groove...tonight's the finale in Utrecht, I think we're all pining for another big one...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
KingLear
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by KingLear »

And finaly; Yes there was the band where we have to wait for so long. It was a great show, with spectacular jams. Gordon was at his best and the other boys did great as well. It is a pity that they don't come to Europe so often. So the show is always to short. I should like that play for hours and hours. Paradiso is a beautifull venue with a great history.
I hope that the concert will be available at the http://www.fabchannel.com/
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

For those who'd like to have an idea what the Paradiso is like, I posted this in the Shepherds Bush review thread.
MattyM wrote:Heather Nova at Paradiso

Tha Paradiso on a typically murky day!

an interior view

You guys should have a great time at this one!
nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

wow, what a gorgeous venue. the outside reminds me alot of massey hall, but the inside just looks bad ass!
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

I'm gonna try and get a look in to the venue next week...
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Some damn fine pics from Amsterdam:

This one is just one picture:
http://www.availablelight.nl/index.php

This collection is flash - so you have to hit "next screen" until you get to The Hip's page:
http://www.availablelight.nl/gallery.php
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Wot Gorilla
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Wot Gorilla »

[quote="Tthip"]Some damn fine pics from Amsterdam:

Hey Dana, a name [and ex-a.m.t-h signature] I actually recognise. :thumb:
As you say, damn fine pics. Thanks for the link. [Quite a few other damn fine pics there, too.]

My first ever post to the Hipbase.
Gortron
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Gortron »

damn fine indeed.

very nice pics.
girthy69
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by girthy69 »

Those pics are great. Good job to whoever took them.
Wot Gorilla
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Wot Gorilla »

The Heron Outside wrote:Well it's the morning after, and I'm still convinced last night didn't happen...it was just that magical of a night...some sorta spell fell over the crowd...a truly special night...they hit their stride early on and refused t'let go of that groove...
And that's what makes The Hip truly special. You can clearly go to many shows on a tour and get to take away a different feeling from each one.

The funny thing is, having been at London SBE, I see the omission of Gift Shop, Nautical Disaster, Courage, Good Life and Music @ Work [arguably all my night's highlights :shock: ] and can't imagine how this show could've possibly been so comparably memorable. But, unlike so many other bands, there's so much more to a Hip gig than the set list. :D
George
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by George »

girthy69 wrote:Those pics are great. Good job to whoever took them.
I took those photos, and you're welcome :D I had a great time, yesterday!