2006-07-07 - London, UK - Shepherds Bush

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Hey, this is my first post and last night was my first 'Hip gig.

I had a fantastic night and really enjoyed myself. One thing that really impressed me was that a the vast majority of the people there to see the show were amazingly friendly and helpful.

I was up on the second level and sat next to a guy who took some great photos (if you're on here I'd love to see them) and there were a bunch of guys from on here who were travelling ina group with matching t-shirts videoing the tour. I'd never come across a group that would allow that before, it's so cool. I'd love to see footage of the gig if anyone has it available, I'm willing to pay to get a DVD sent over if needs be.

To be honest I've only really known of the band for about 5 months, through my girlfriend who discovered them by accident and has become a huge fan.

Highlight oif the night for me was Bobcaygeon, a fantastic song really well put across.

and for reference, I thought the intro quote for Ocean was I'll tell you one thing; youre not... you're not the Ocean!

Apparantly Kelly Jones from Stereophonics and Midge Ure of Ultravox were there too...

The support band were Kharma 45

Cheers,
Matt
Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

MattyM wrote:Hey, this is my first post and last night was my first 'Hip gig.

I had a fantastic night and really enjoyed myself. One thing that really impressed me was that a the vast majority of the people there to see the show were amazingly friendly and helpful.

I was up on the second level and sat next to a guy who took some great photos (if you're on here I'd love to see them) and there were a bunch of guys from on here who were travelling ina group with matching t-shirts videoing the tour. I'd never come across a group that would allow that before, it's so cool. I'd love to see footage of the gig if anyone has it available, I'm willing to pay to get a DVD sent over if needs be.

To be honest I've only really known of the band for about 5 months, through my girlfriend who discovered them by accident and has become a huge fan.

Highlight oif the night for me was Bobcaygeon, a fantastic song really well put across.

and for reference, I thought the intro quote for Ocean was I'll tell you one thing; youre not... you're not the Ocean!

Apparantly Kelly Jones from Stereophonics and Midge Ure of Ultravox were there too...

The support band were Kharma 45

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks Matt! Nice to see you found the board!
Stick around and I promise you will never have to pay for a DVD! You might have to wait until October (at which point the album is supposed to release) but you will be able to get it for free.

Cheers!
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Were you one of the 8 then (I was trying to think up a witty name for that little group, but it's early and I haven't had Coffee yet)??

Man I had such a good time at that show, I really hope they come over here again!
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

good show in london, but everything's been covered already.

thanks london!
vremster
New Maybe
New Maybe

London

Post by vremster »

Hi all,

My first ever post here.

My third Hip show, the last two being also at Shepherds Bush Empire on the two previous Euro tours. As always The Hip were in top form, not much to add to what's been said already. I didn't spot Kelly Jones or Midge Ure but I did see Stuart Cable on the 1st level after the show. Saw him last in a hotel after Rush had played Wembley - it must be a Welsh/Canadian thing!

Very impressed with the support band Karma 45 who sounded a bit like Big Country meets Placebo. Great vocalist and some nice pre-recorded keyboard textures going on behind that guitar work - worth checking them out.

Still on a bit of a high but the reality then hits home that it's probably another 2 years before we Europeans get to see a Hip show again :(

Looking forward to seeing the vids, there was a guy in the first row on the level 1 balcony who seemed to be doing a very good job.

Now I've found this forum. I'll be back.
Take care all.
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

I thought I saw Stuart there with Kelly Jones. I now the 'Phonics have covered a Hip song live in the past, so they must all be fans I guess.

I agree with what you said about Kharma 45 too... ad you can download a few of their tracks for free on myspace.
vremster
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by vremster »

MattyM wrote:I thought I saw Stuart there with Kelly Jones. I now the 'Phonics have covered a Hip song live in the past, so they must all be fans I guess.

I agree with what you said about Kharma 45 too... ad you can download a few of their tracks for free on myspace.
When I came out Stuart Cable was talking to someone and I said hello and he shook my hand. I didn't take much notice of the other guy but I didn't think it was Kelly Jones. I had a bit of a chat with Stuart after the Rush show in Sept 2004 and I was certainly under the impression that they were not the best of friends after he was booted out of the Stereophonics but time does heal I guess and they have known each other a long time.

The Stereophonics covered Fiddlers Green (on Performance & cocktails I think?) and were once called Tragic Love Company (or similar) named after their 3 of their fave bands of the time who were The Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company.
tdickin
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tdickin »

Detrious wrote:You're not the ocean was in there too...

I think the quote was 'One thing I realise about you all is that you're not the ocean'
Yeah, it's there in my list: see "Ocean".
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

It looked like Jones left during the second encore (to go backstage??). Midge Ure (I was told it was him, I don't even know what he looks like...) seemed to disappear before the Hip even got onstage.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

MattyM wrote:It looked like Jones left during the second encore (to go backstage??). Midge Ure (I was told it was him, I don't even know what he looks like...) seemed to disappear before the Hip even got onstage.
There were 2 encores???

Does anyone have the setlist in order?

Nick
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

I might have been wrong on that... I was knackered and to be honest the encore time is a bit blurred for me, but I seem to remember them playing two numbers (not two encores, but one encore of two songs).
vremster
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by vremster »

MattyM wrote:I might have been wrong on that... I was knackered and to be honest the encore time is a bit blurred for me, but I seem to remember them playing two numbers (not two encores, but one encore of two songs).
I think they played 3 songs for the encore as follows 'Poets', a new song called 'Pretend' (I think) and 'Little Bones'.
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

They could well have actually, as I seem to remember the last song sounding strange and disjointed (as it would, it was two songs!). He left partway through that I think... I just remember he wasn't there when I looked down over the balcony as the Hip left the stage for the second time.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

MattyM wrote:Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Were you one of the 8 then (I was trying to think up a witty name for that little group, but it's early and I haven't had Coffee yet)??

Man I had such a good time at that show, I really hope they come over here again!
No unfortunately, I couldn't make the trip. Some of my buddies you would have seen though (names from hipbase): Chris, BigA, Dreyfuss, CraigD, MarkSlog and others. Their great guys so if you are hitting any other shows, make sure to say hello!

Cheers!
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Yeah, one of them (Chris, I think, though I'm guessing) caught me and my girlfriend on camera when we were queuing. They were really lovely guys and I chatted briefly to a few of them, very friendly people!