2006-07-03 - Chicago, IL - House Of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

clutchcdn wrote:Decent show.
Too short.

Great meal at the HOB. Friendly staff, including overwhelmed bartenders.

Was it me....or was that one of the worse renditions of Fire in the Hole?

I would give this show.....a 7.5/10
Fire in the Hole is one of my favorite tunes and I was praying it was going to be played in the encore. The intro was great, drawn out and extended, and I was prepared for the roof to cave in when they dropped in. However, I must agree, they totally missed the boat on the first verse, it sounded disjointed and looked like the entire band was on a different page. However, the final two verses and the last minute were very tight and kicked my ass. Not the best version I have ever seen, but not the worst either.

I saw all four shows at the Chicago HOB back in 2002. They were great, but this show topped them all with ease. Even though it was a 1000 degrees in there and it appeared to be "oversold" considering there wasn't an inch of elbowroom on the floor or in the bar, I have never heard the entire crowd sing Don't Wake Daddy word for word. I really like the song, but its a pretty random opener to play 10 years after its release, yet the entire place was going nuts. BTW....I usually hate it when the crowd sings over Gord, but this night was different.

Oh yeah...The Drop Off was sick...
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Soundcheck (at least the three we heard):

Chagrin Falls
Are You Ready
Bobcaygeon
BroKen
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BroKen »

Finally home after a much needed break from work. A night of three's for me. Third Hip show, third time in Chicago. July third. I got engaged in Chicago exactly three years ago on July 3rd, 2003. Three nights in Chicago this trip. Hmmm...

"That number scheme comes back to me"

Best Hip show I've seen, though since it's only the third I don't know that I have a lot to go on. Gord seemed a bit more laid back and didn't seem to rant as much. Rink is fantastic and I'm looking forward to the album even more. There seemed to be a fair amount of technical problems, as mentioned before and also Gord S. seemed to have come unplugged, which Gord D. had to comment on. Back near the soundboard where I was standing, I saw someone recording.

My only complaint, OK 2, was that it took way too long between bands and it was terribly hot. Well, 3 then. It was really crowded on the floor.

The opener was good. They did a song that reminded me of Hanoi Rocks a bit.

My todo list for 2006 had "travel to see the Hip" so that's scratched off, but now I need to "see the Hip in Canada" which I've never done. The HOB show was the largest crowd I've seen them with.

That's it.
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

BroKen wrote:Finally home after a much needed break from work. A night of three's for me. Third Hip show, third time in Chicago. July third. I got engaged in Chicago exactly three years ago on July 3rd, 2003. Three nights in Chicago this trip. Hmmm...

"That number scheme comes back to me"

Best Hip show I've seen, though since it's only the third I don't know that I have a lot to go on. Gord seemed a bit more laid back and didn't seem to rant as much. Rink is fantastic and I'm looking forward to the album even more. There seemed to be a fair amount of technical problems, as mentioned before and also Gord S. seemed to have come unplugged, which Gord D. had to comment on. Back near the soundboard where I was standing, I saw someone recording.

My only complaint, OK 2, was that it took way too long between bands and it was terribly hot. Well, 3 then. It was really crowded on the floor.

The opener was good. They did a song that reminded me of Hanoi Rocks a bit.

My todo list for 2006 had "travel to see the Hip" so that's scratched off, but now I need to "see the Hip in Canada" which I've never done. The HOB show was the largest crowd I've seen them with.

That's it.
The boys return from Europe and play a show in Quebec. Then in September the Ovation Music Festival at Stratford. Should be good!
Captain Canada
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Captain Canada »

They never played Chagrin Falls on this show.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Sounds like a great night! :D I'd love to go to Chicago.
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Zenith wrote:Sounds like a great night! :D I'd love to go to Chicago.
I might be going out next year, my friend is marrying a Chicago girl...
Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Captain Canada wrote:They never played Chagrin Falls on this show.
Soundcheck. Check. 1. Check. 2. 2. Check.

If you were at HoB around 5.15p you'd have heard it.
Captain Canada
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Captain Canada »

Well in that case then they also played Wheat Kings too. I was in the lobby around 5:15 but I wasnt really paying attention to their sound check that well.

Still though I was tickled to hear Escape at hand, what an awesome song.