2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

troublewithnames
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by troublewithnames »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:
troublewithnames wrote:This was the first time I've ever seen The Hip at a venue that wasn't relatively small
I sure hope they make it back to The Newport in C-bus, or play the Agora in Cleveland again, or perhaps even the Taft in Cincy just once....?

Dare to dream, I always say....

Good times, great venues.....

I'd take any small venue (and on a day I'm not in school.) However, the dream for me would be to get to see them in New Orleans again (my first show was there at the HOB, when I lived down there.) The NOLA tourist industry could use the support too, I'm sure...
hashman
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by hashman »

anyone gunna post pics from this show?....
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

hashman wrote:anyone gunna post pics from this show?....
Didn't take any...
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

hashman wrote:anyone gunna post pics from this show?....
I'm working on it. Finally got my Pittsburgh ones up yesterday so now I can look at the Fort York photos.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote: How is the "Agora" compared to the Odeon in Cleveland? Loved the atmosphere and the size when I had the chance to see them in '04 at the Odeon (you know, the one were they played Fighter Fighter for the first time EVER!! 8) )
I was there at that Odeon show. I've been to every Odeon show, for that matter... :P

Odeon = Very small, dark, loud, steamy bar / club type (as you know)
Agora = Significantly larger, old theatre-type, better acoustics, aesthetics & sightlines...

The atmosphere @ the Agora is not as intimate and "bumpin'", so to speak, but it has greater visual allure and it sounds twice as good (which is apparently much more important to me than it is to others....)
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

Nice pics, gentoo....

And ooh! That's one sweet Image upgrade, Gord!
troublewithnames
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by troublewithnames »

Thanks for sharing the pictures gentoo.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Hey all,
Just got back to Vancouver on Monday and didn't have a chance to post when I was in Ontario. However I am here now and after having read all the previous 10 pages I can assure you I won't be covering the same ground.

That being said, it was great to meet everyone at the show and beforehand at the Wheatsheaf!! Chris and Man-sized (plus respective companions), Mark and Dave, Silentbob and Adrian, plus countless others from the 'sheaf (we left before most introductions as to get all the equipment into the show) it was great to see everyone and put some faces to screen names and to shake the hands of those folks who work so hard to put shows on the tracker and available to rest of us. For the rest of us (those who don't tape) it was great to meet so many people who support this great band and I have to say, Hip fans may live across this country but it's like old home week when you're at a show with other Hipbasers.

Enough of that.

I have to say this was easily top 3 shows for me. Being originally from Ontario and seeing the boys so many times in and around TO I didn't realize how spoiled I was until I moved away. Living in BC has definately taught me to cherish the frequency of shows that Ontarinans get to see. But this show was great cause it was my first show in TO in 4 years, it was outdoors, in the summer, it was hot, there was beer and the TO skyline made for a great backdrop....when the boys came on, goosebumps people, it was a fantastic culmination of circumstances that almost made it a perfect show!

One last story that I will reagle you with before I slip back into the ether of lurking.

I went to the Commodore show out here in Van City back in May and I had anticipated my girlfriend going with me (as she supports my habit and seems to more than enjoy the Hip herself I can't complain) but there were some previous engagements that she couldn't get out of so I ended up with an extra ticket for the show.

I had a long list of friends in BC who would have loved to go (most of them grew up in Ontario and love the Hip as well) but the first person I called took the ticket so the rest of the list went out the window. My buddy Jonathon said he'd go and I assured him that he wouldn't be disappointed as the boys would put on a great show. I knew he'd appreciate me asking him and I wanted to go with someone who hadn't been to a small club show and someone who would at least appreciate the intimacy of such a show.

Needless to say we went and had a great time and the whole show, SRB and the Hip were on! As the band walks off the stage and the roadies set up for the encore Jono leans over and expresses his graditude about getting into the show and speculates that they might play 38 Years Old in the encore, I roll my eyes and tell him point blank that won't happen cause "Gord doesn't like the fact that people thought it was about him and his family and they haven't played it in like 10 years" which is my quote exactly. I intentionally mock him for not knowing such basic facts about the band and revel in the knowledge that I am more of a fan than he is (this is tongue in cheek by the way, for those who find it had to decode sarcasm through writing).

End of the story is that at the TO show I, of course, eat my words completely and am proven to know not as much about the band as I had thought. They keep changing things up and surprising even the most seasoned of us fans. I thank them for that and hope they keep it up.

To make up for my berating of my friend Jono I have promised him a boot of both shows when they become available in the fall.

All in all a great show. Glad I was there and didn't have to give any body parts to the cause. To the boys in the band: keep it up!

That's about it for me.
lates,
aaron
Last edited by anesthesiologist on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

anesthesiologist wrote:Hey all,
Just got back to Vancouver on Monday and didn't have a chance to post when I was in Ontario. However I am here now and after having read all the previous 10 pages I can assure you I won't be covering the same ground.

That being said, it was great to meet everyone at the show and beforehand at the Wheatsheaf!! Chris and Man-sized (plus respective companions), Mark and Dave, Silentbob and Adrian, plus countless others from the 'sheaf (we left before most introductions as to get all the equipment into the show) it was great to see everyone and put some faces to screen names and to shake the hands of those folks who work so hard to put shows on the tracker and available to rest of us. For the rest of us (those who don't tape) it was great to meet so many people who support this great band and I have to say, Hip fans may live across this country but it's like old home week when you're at a show with other Hipbasers.

Enough of that.

I have to say this was easily top 3 shows for me. Being origianlly from Ontario and seeing the boys so many times in and around TO I didn't realize how spoiled I was until I moved away. Living in BC has definately taught me to cherish the frequency of shows that Ontarinans get to see. But this show was great cause it was my first show in TO in 4 years, it was outdoors, in the summer, it was hot, there was beer and the TO skyline made for a great backdrop....when the boys came on, goosebumps people, it was a fantastic culmination of circumstances that almost made it a perfect show!

One last story that I will reagle you with before I slip back into the ether of lurking.

I went to the Commodore show out here in Van City back in May and I had anticipated my girlfriend going with me (as she supports my habit and seems to more than enjoy the Hip herself I can't complain) but there were some previous engagements that she couldn't get out of so I ended up with an extra ticket for the show.

I had a long list of friends in BC who would have loved to go (most of them grew up in Ontario and love the Hip as well) but the first person I called took the ticket so the rest of the list went out the window. My buddy Jonathon said he'd go and I assured him that he wouldn't be disappointed as the boys would put on a great show. I knew he'd appreciate me asking him and I wanted to go with someone who hadn't been to a small club show and someone who would at least appreciate the intimacy of such a show.

Needless to say we went and had a great time and the whole show, SRB and the Hip were on! As the band walks off the stage and the roadies set up for the encore Jono leans over and expresses his graditude about getting into the show and speculates that they might play 38 Years Old in the encore, I roll my eyes and tell him point blank that won't happen cause "Gord doesn't like the fact that people thought it was about him and his family and they haven't played it in like 10 years" which is my quote exactly. I intentionally mock him for not knowing such basic facts about the band and revel in the knowledge that I am more of a fan than he is (this is tongue in cheek by the way, for those who find it had to decode sarcasm through writing).

End of the story is that at the TO show I, of course, eat my words completely and am proven to know not as much about the band as I had thought. They keep changing things up and surprising even the most seasoned of us fans. I thank them for that and hope they keep it up.

To make up for my berating of my friend Jono I have promised him a boot of both shows when they become available in the fall.

All in all a great show. Glad I was there and didn't have to give any body parts to the cause. To the boys in the band: keep it up!

That's about it for me.
lates,
aaron
Thanks Aaron for review!
It was great meeting you before the show and I am certainly glad we had a chance to chat!

Don't beat yourself up about 38...we were part of something truly special that night and I don't think any fan, new or old, could have predicted it would happen!

Cheers!
Horseshoe_Rocked
New Maybe
New Maybe

Video of 38 years old

Post by Horseshoe_Rocked »

I fortunately grabbed a pretty good video of 38 years old. You can hear everybody singing around me but still pretty cool. Also the rant in 100th meridian and the ending. Very cool. As soon as I get them compressed I'll get them on here. Don't know how, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Upload them to youtube for viewing; create a torrent for sharing if the quality is there.

http://bt.hipfans.com is our tracker.
Pipeline guy
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Post by Pipeline guy »

The concerts they did on the 23rd and the 24th have to be some of the best I've seen! Both nights are must sees imo.
Thank you SRB for keeping it alive on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-ErNu ... I3SXLmDwwA
"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."
~Thomas Merton