2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Holy, I had goosebumps all through 38 years old! That was by far the best part of the whole show! I haven't had goosebumps like that for a Hip song since they broke into Wheat Kings at the Molson Amphitheatre in 2004.

This show ranks in my top three. They weren't promoting an album so there wasn't a ton of new stuff that no one knows. The Ocean and Drop Off were awesome though. Can't wait to hear them on an album. This show was one of those shows where the guys could just play, and we could celebrate their music and what it means to us.

The sound was incredible. I was at the back beside the soundboard and could clearly hear everything Gord was saying. Usually you're struggling to hear what he's going on about. And he had quite a few memorable lines: the one about the Gardiner, Prime Minister Bush, and a shout out to the nurses at Sick Kids Hospital and our troops in Afghanistan.

Way 'da go boys, way 'da go. Can't wait 'til my next show.
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said.

I made the mistake of getting there early and ending up front-centre. There are some real morons up there, and believe me, I've learned my lesson. A few people were chanting "Hip, Hip" in between weakerthans songs, and i had to tell them to "Relax" among other, harsher, statements...and then those idiots started jumping around aimlessly during the hip...I was glad to see Gord obviously take aim at them with some barbs, although the state of most of those people, they weren't understanding, believe me.

As for the setlist, this was my fifth show...and put it this way, 11 of of the 20 songs were first-timers for me. I know it's only five shows, but that's pretty impressive, I think.

I won't soon forget it, just wish I had the foresight to brush off to the left or right. Next time.

An incredible, and sometimes incredibly infuriating, evening.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

lilbones wrote:As for the setlist, this was my fifth show...and put it this way, 11 of of the 20 songs were first-timers for me. I know it's only five shows, but that's pretty impressive, I think.
Dude, last night was my twelfth show and ten of the twenty songs were first-timers for me. :mrgreen: That's unheard of; the twelfth time I saw Pearl Jam I heard eight (I think) first-timers, and thought that was pretty impressive...which it was, but it goes to show just how ridiculous last night was.

For the record: Don't Wake Daddy, Chagrin Falls, 38 Years Old, Sherpa, Something On, The Wherewithal, We'll Go Too and the three new songs. Unbelievable.

Steve :thumb:
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Cpt. Trips wrote:Hi, my name is John. I wasn't at the show last night.

To the dude complaining about the giant Kareoke session that was 38 years old.

I hate you with a firey passion.

that is all.
Well to Steve's defense, not everyone likes the crowd sing-a-long's. That's his opinion and I respect that. However, for me, I normally wear earplugs to a show because I was once a DJ and I understand the damage that the high frequencies can do to someone's ears. But last night, I had to take them out just so I could hear the crowd singing. I just had to. It was such a touching moment in a Hip fan's career (if you will call it that). I really don't think I stopped singing and dancing all night and I don't think I would have it any other way!

One thing I forgot to mention in my post last night was that as always, I so enjoyed meeting up with fellow Baser's. I got to meet and talk with some that I hadn't before (Craig, Dan, Kevin & Aaron specifically) and that was a great treat. I also got to hang for a while with some of the usual favourite members (you know who you are) and I don't think the show would have been the same. Thanks for that.

Finally, to Hugh, I am sorry we didn't find each other at the show. When 38 came on, I felt like I should be on a search to find you guys, just so I could share the moment with you too.

It was such an amazing night! So hard not to gush about it! :oops:
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: Mixed review

Post by thecompletist »

freddie_hg wrote:Hi everyone.
The only thing about it is that I would have LOVED to hear it by The Hip, and sung by Gordon. I know everyone was excited, but this leads me in to my third point, the fact that any some what popular song was turned in to a giant Kareoke session. The only thing I heard during 38 years was some of the instruments, and thousands of people screaming the lyrics as loud as they could. 12 years since the last time it was played, only to NOT be able to hear it for the crowd. Gordon really appeard to be struggling to be heard over the people who want to be part of the band, and not just watch them. Don't get me wrong, some parts can be sung along with, but not the whole show. My wife commented that she could have got the same effect by listening to me singing in the shower along with The Hip. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was struggling to hear Gordon sing.
The crowd was good. The worst was Sarnia, not the last time but the one before that, 2002 I think. There were fights all over then, and people constantly getting thrown out. Today, the only incident I saw was when one person tried to jump the fences to the beer garden. Except for the pushing. I was about 30' from stage left, and it wasn't bad, but still more pushing than I prefer. Unfortunately for this, today will likely be my last Hip general admission show.
There was also the standard selection of idiots screaming during the songs. I wish the audio was a bit louder, so it would have drowned them out more. Also, what is the point of chanting "Hip, Hip, Hip" during a song by The Hip? What could be accomplished by this? In case someone forgets where they are, this will remind them?
The venue was very nice. The fort was a good place to play. It was the fastest time I have ever had to leave the show after it was over! security going in was a bit slow, but overall, very good.
Overall, the show was good. The band was great. The songs were great. The crowd was something to be desired, but all in all, the concert was good.
I hope I don't come off as a hater after this post, I still love The Hip, and I will go see other shows.
Steve
You musta really hated courage then when Gord said "You wanna sing?... go ahead" and pointed the mic at the crowd....
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Last night I went to Fort York to see the Hip.

A Hip cover band came out and rocked my socks off.
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

Okay, so here's the problem I had with the show last night... I've spent the last few days trying to explain to people how incredible the show in Belleville was. But then, out of now where, The Hip come along and put on a show with the best setlist since who knows when? What words can you use to describe the feeling when they started playing 38? Not to mention all the other gems... I can't write a review that would do this show justice; I was absolutely blown away last night.

Matt
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

All I can say is WOW what a way to end my stay out East.

As I travel back to Vancouver today, I will have a big smile on my face thinking back on the great hip fans I meet and some of the best shows I have seen.

Thank you for the hospitality.

See some of you in a few weeks in London!
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

New Section & HUGE Thank You to a Stranger

Post by Jack Straw »

Maybe we can have a "Crowd Reviews" section. This way people can bitch with like minds.

I was staring straight ahead all night. I love it when folks around me are having fun. It's a good atmosphere.

To get to the thanks...I was sitting in the park with my girl just past where you walk out of the venue behind the tree farm. We had tix to the 23rd but not the 24th so we decided to pack a picnic and lie under the stars and listen to the show. This guys walks up and asks if we're planning to stay there for the show. I though he wanted us to move but instead offered us two tix because his friends flaked. Miracled! Happened to me once at Phish when I lost one night's tix on tour. In the event that you're reading this THANKS VERY MUCH! And a shout out to the flakers. If you didn't show it would never have been possible.

Now I don't need to tell anybody here what the kicker was. Thirteen years between live 38's. My girl moves up here from San Fran and gets one in her second show. What are you going to do? I'm a huge fan of the FC album and getting a set closing Wherewithal along with We'll Go Too was just great. I've been waiting a long time for some unpredictability. It always sucks when you know 75% of the setlist ahead of time.

I hope you all had as much fun as I did. Obviously those obsessed with the crowd fell miserably short in this area, but I digress...

Cheers
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: New Section & HUGE Thank You to a Stranger

Post by chris »

Jack Straw wrote:Now I don't need to tell anybody here what the kicker was. Thirteen years between live 38's. My girl moves up here from San Fran and gets one in her second show. What are you going to do? I'm a huge fan of the FC album and getting a set closing Wherewithal along with We'll Go Too was just great. I've been waiting a long time for some unpredictability. It always sucks when you know 75% of the setlist ahead of time.

I hope you all had as much fun as I did. Obviously those obsessed with the crowd fell miserably short in this area, but I digress...

Cheers
This was my girlfriends first Hip show... and although she had a great time, and now "gets" why I'm so in to this band... the miracle of 38 Years Old is completely lost on her. She said that she could feel the goosebumps on my arm, and the sweat in my palm as soon as Gord started his introduction to the song! :thumb:
sabatooch
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sabatooch »

As everyone has mentioned, 38 years old was unbelievable. To follow it with "Puttin' down" was simply glorious.

Where I was standing, I did hear alot of complaints about the songs being played. During "We'll Go Too," a girl behind me yelled, "play some good songs." Needless to say I was extremely upset at this comment and wanted to knock her down a peg or two. But in the end, I realized that this was a setlist for us, for the hardcore fans ready to give their liver for a taste of 38 Years Old, Greasy Jungle, We'll Go Too, Sherpa, etc.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

I still can't frigg"in believe it... friday was a great show... and last night wellll.. Fu$%^&# me.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

sabatooch wrote:But in the end, I realized that this was a setlist for us, for the hardcore fans ready to give their liver for a taste of 38 Years Old, Greasy Jungle, We'll Go Too, Sherpa, etc.
Great comment!
I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Last night was for us and I sure hope MAv passes on our message of thanks and sheer awe that we all felt last night.

It was only my fiance's second show last night. And this morning she commented that she now truly understands why I am so dedicated to the band, to hipbase and to hipfans.com. It was like all the hard work that so many put in to these communities was rewarded last night. It really was magical!
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Sadly, the conversion of my girlfriend has failed. As I realized that we were getting Thiry-Eight Years Old, and gave a "holy shit", the girl goes back and says "what the hell is so special about this one?" Alas, this was probably her last Hip show, but such is life: it certainly won't be mine. That said, if they had played Fireworks tonight, it might have been a different story (as she also doesn't give a f**k about hockey).

Missed the Sadies, but caught all of the Weakerthans tonight. I think they had the quickest set change ever. Here's their set:

Our Retired Explorer, Watermark, Reconstruction Site, Benediction, Aside, Simple Twilight, Utilities, Plea for a Cat, Reasons, Sun in an Empty Room, Plampleteer (I think, it dons on me I wasn't really paying attention at this point), Manifest.

Show numero 18 and four songs I hadn't heard before, three of them of course being new tunes. I liked the Ocean, probably more than the Drop Off, and No Threat came off as well live as I thought it would. But lost in the 38 shuffle is two things. First, an incredibly diverse setlist that follows really only the trends of the past couple of shows and nothing else. Second, that setlist featured no repeats from show to show. This is something that I've waited six years of back-to-back nights for.

It's the kind of night that reaffirms a lot of things. My fascination with the band is not going away (if it was ever in doubt), and that I do truly value my girl's happiness over mine (hense why I took the chance of missing a second encore and left during We'll Go Too). Through it all, there's a smile on my face this morning. 45 different songs out of a potential sixty for a lot of us, three killer sets in four long nights.

I think it's time to rest for a couple of days. I have a lot of free Sam Roberts shows to gear up for.

Good to see the faces again. You know, I may not say much at these shows, but it's nice to know there are people who care as much about the band and do the same little things every show that I do.

Enjoy Europe; see you in the fall.

Cheers,

Pat
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

you nailed the weakerthans setlist, except insert Prescience of Dawn instead of Pamphleteer...as well, I thought I heard "Civil Twilight" sted "Simple Twilight", but i could be wrong.

I should have added in my post (don't construe it as negative...it was as good as a setlist as I'll ever see, I'm just sort of kicking myself for not heeding some of the advice from the friday reviews) that seeing sherpa was a pleasure for me. Going into every show, I always say, jokingly, that maybe theyll play sherpa tonight, as its the song that resonates most with me, lyrically. It's always seemed like a pipe dream until I saw it pop up in Pittsburgh, and realized it wasn't dead after all.

After hearing them break out that distinctive twang, I nearly shat myself. And I've found myself singing "You said 'we must be friends or die'/ And we've died a thousand times since then" all morning (if you can call what's left of my voice singing.)

By the way, the weakerthans have a free show at the harbourfront on July 29. I'm sure I'll see some of you there.
Last edited by lilbones on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.