2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

jonprice34
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jonprice34 »

Last night was show number 40 or something for me and as stated by almost everyone else it was incredible. Some highlights were Meridian with Gord talking about how lame fighting is at a rock show (classic Gord). I don't know how bad it was yesterday( since I moved back farther then I was on friday) but there semed to be a lot on Friday night. Honourable mention to Nautical( still my favourite song) which sounded amazing and of course 38 Years Old. As most people are saying, thanks again TTH you guys have made my summer (and it hasn't even really started yet).

Special thanks to Derek who sold me his tickets last minute and gave me a ride downtown, I hope NIN were great too because you missed a great TTH show.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

lilbones wrote:you nailed the weakerthans setlist, except insert Prescience of Dawn instead of Pamphleteer...as well, I thought I heard "Civil Twilight" sted "Simple Twilight", but i could be wrong.
Thanks. I guess I'm just used to them playing Plamphleteer that late in the game. I think it was announced as Simple Twilight in Belleville, but I could have heard wrong. Civil Twilight would work out just as well.

Cheers,

Pat
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Nothing really new to add, just wanted to echo all the same sentiments!

This must have been show #54 for me, and it just knocked by socks off. I had been a little disappointed with Guelph last week (although that might've just been sunstroke), but this show reaffirmed everything for me. 38 Years Old just STUNNED me. And followed with an awesome version of Puttin' Down, which I love.

100th had a great jam... I was already to leave during the encore, but then Drop-Off, Jungle & We'll Go Too had me FIRMLY in place for the duration. I've seen Wherewithall a few times and been unimpressed, but this version was absolutely fantastic.

We were in a couple of different spots throughout the show, about midway back, and found the crowd to be fantastic. For my money, one of the best crowds I've ever experienced at a show. To they guy who complained he couldn't hear the Hip during 38 Years Old... quite frankly, I was surprised that I couldn't hear anyone else singing along... mind you, I was singing pretty loudly... :)

Loved "Not the Ocean"... definitely single-worthy... I caught something about a dam talking to a river, and saying "you're not the ocean"... or something like that. fantastic.

Had my hipbase shirt on, and had a couple people come up & say Hi... Always nice to meet fellow fans!

Awesome...
767F/O
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by 767F/O »

First time posting!
What a great place for Hip fans to share their thoughts!

Wow Boot - show #54!!!!...Last night was only my second Hip show but I have been following their music since 1994.

What an awesome time last night my wife and I had . Great show. Great venue. Great set list! No other band has ever had the influence on me as The Hip has. My only hope is that they keep on playing for many more years so that I can have the chance to see them as much as many of you already have!!

Thanks for the reviews Hip fans - it was great to share the evening with you all!
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

thehip11 wrote:
Setlist in order:

Don't Wake Daddy
Courage
Oceans (New Song)
Summer's Killing Us
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Chagrin Falls
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
38 Years Old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Puttin Down
100th Meridian
Sherpa
Springtime in Vienna
No Threat
Blow at High Dough
Something On
The Wherewithal

Encore
The Drop Off
Greasy Jungle
We'll Go Too
Thank you Hip! Thank you :thumb:
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

767F/O wrote:First time posting!
What a great place for Hip fans to share their thoughts!

Wow Boot - show #54!!!!...Last night was only my second Hip show but I have been following their music since 1994.

What an awesome time last night my wife and I had . Great show. Great venue. Great set list! No other band has ever had the influence on me as The Hip has. My only hope is that they keep on playing for many more years so that I can have the chance to see them as much as many of you already have!!

Thanks for the reviews Hip fans - it was great to share the evening with you all!
Welcome aboard! This is a great place to share your thoughts about the greatest band on the earth!

Glad you found us and enjoy your stay!

Cheers!
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Sorry, I don't have a review, because I wasn't there. :cry:

Chris, I hope your friend Josh enjoyed MY tickets! I still have his $220 in my wallet. I'm thinking of burning it. I don't think that anything good can come from that money! Maybe I'll donate it to the nursing staff at Sick Kids, or buy a couple of months worth of electricity from Bullfrog. I can't believe I missed it...

On a more positive note, we had a great time with family and friends back in Sudbury, celebrating my youngest son's Baptism. I didn't even think about the concert once last night, and now I wish I hadn't even read about it.

Congratulations to those who were there though, it sounds like you're all now part of the History of Old Fort York.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I will wait patiently until October for the entire boot.

A teaser featuring one song that starts with "38" and ends in "Old" would be incredible though. Hint.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

Now that Im feeling better and coherent, I just want to add, Ill never forget the look on Beanmedic's face when 38 started, I thought he was going to faint on the lawn..lol. Also Something On, Greasy Jungle, No Threat and We'll Go Too sounded awesome, they all sounded great but those ones really stuck out. I really think they should play Something On more, and No Threat is such an awesome song live I hope they keep playing it for awhile. Now that I can remember better, just want to say I had fun meeting all you basers..

BigA
Hugh23
Bean
Chancellor
Gentoo
Chris,Chris
Wheat Queen
Bluesmantiny
BRoach
Man-Sized Eldorado
TheHip11
Farmerdan ( i think)
Smadabeer (you finish that rickard's yet?)

Sorry if I missed someone

And lastly MAv Im sorry we didn't cross paths, I take it you were the guy running around with the big camera in his hand all nite? Bean shouted at you once and pointed you out to me, I assume that was you?

Still in awe of last nite..
Last edited by Lizard King on Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

Glad eveyone enjoyed their HIP weekend, as I sure did. Friday February 10th 1995, was my 1st show and I think I must be around 45 now, and I would have to say that was my favorite so far, I don't know how it couldn't be. 38 was an absolute shocker and sounded amazing from what I remember, I will never forget that they played that song. I wonder if it's back in the vault already, or if they're firing it up again for the album tour. I absolutely love No Threat since it was released and to hear for the first time live was unreal. They have that song pegged down already, words cannot describe it. I was in awe for most of this concert and more so as it continued.

Sherpa was great, and I felt like I was the only one there as it was played, I was mesmorized for this song, it was very "tight". Nashville, Greasy, Chagrin, Where, & of course We'll Go Too were standouts also. Other staples that they shined on were of course Blow, Nautical, springtime, & 100th!

This was the perfect 6 pint + 3 beer (tent) show I could have dreamed of, very impressive show lads, keep up the good work! It was good to meet a couple of you before the show started, Hugh & Carolyn, smada's g/f, and the young Broach briefly on his way out the door! I guess the drive was worth it from ol MI!

I look forward to hopefully being lucky enough to get a video of this show in the future from all you kind fans that put your time and effort into capturing the magic that they conjur on stage. "Chris", if you are looking to create your masterpiece DVD, this is your golden chance my friend, it really doesn't get better than last night! I cannot wait to relive that experience with a sober view, many times over.

Everyone enjoy their summer, and to the fans who are trekking Europe, I hope you get the same kind of shows over there, I just don't know how last night can be topped though? It's a grand day to be a "HIP" fan!

Mike
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Well.........um.......WOW!!

Again, an absolutely amazing setlist, and like someone stated, definately for the more hardcore fans. I never in a million years expected to hear all the songs I heard at Guelph and last night at FY. Just two concerts later I have only three or four left on my mental 'Hope to hear' list.....and that list was at maybe 15 before then!

I'm so happy that the boys played so many songs I could only dream about hearing live (some at Guelph) like Daddy, Gems, Something On, 38 YO, and Greasy Jungle!!!! That is my buddy's favourite and we never expected that at all! What a shock!

I love Daddy as an opener, and 38 years old, well what else can be said? I just grabbed my buddy and screamed HOLY SHIT!

Sherpa was beautiful, I love Ocean for a first time listen, and No Threat again was one of the top 5 for me.

On the crowd, I understand at concerts this kinda stuff happens, but it doesnt mean I have to like it. Myself, my gf and two friends were about 5 rows infront of Robby and nearly got trampled during Chagrin Falls. I was managing to deal with the idiot drunks around us all night who were pushing and shoving and slamming me on the head with rolled up posters, but when about 25 people pushed towards the stage and almost crushed all of us, including 5 girls behind me who were about 5'3", 110 lbs then it was time to move to the soundboard. So for anyone who thought the crowd wasn't too bad, that's what you didnt see. It was pretty scary to be honest cause my gf almost got lost in the mess. Unfortunately because of this craziness we missed most of Good Life through to Nashville, just trying to get out of the mob.

Not that it ruined the show, that may be the best set I'll ever see in my lifetime! Still a sweet memory. Too bad I couldn't fully convert my girlfriend, though she loved Gord. She tried, but just can't get into it. Ah well.

Still AMAZING for me!
nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

well, a couple points, enough people have touched on 38, so i will leave it. here we go, 8 bucks for a cheeseburger (had to, sorry). good to be out at a hip show again, been a while. i have to say that i can't agree with some of the people who are down on crowd singing. i was bellowing all evening, with my sweet liquid glow. also, really thought it was cool of gord to send courage out to the nurses at sick kids. anyways, back to bed, to try and shake this headache!!!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

nois wrote:8 bucks for a cheeseburger
EIGHT BUCKS for a cheeseburger? Wow. That's a little steep. On the other hand you should talk to Beanmedic. It's been 22 hours now and I am pretty sure he is still waiting for his hot-dog! 8)
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
nois wrote:8 bucks for a cheeseburger
EIGHT BUCKS for a cheeseburger? Wow. That's a little steep. On the other hand you should talk to Beanmedic. It's been 22 hours now and I am pretty sure he is still waiting for his hot-dog! 8)
But he ate the remainder of my half eaten CHICKEN sandwich, and I think that sated his appetite for the short term.

And in reviewing my recording of last nights show, it's pretty good until the 2:26 minute of 38 Years Old. At that point, beanmedic came running over and clipped the camera stand while attempting to high five Trevor. The camera movement coupled with his "oh ho hooo!!!" really, um, what's the word???
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

I wasn't there but I have to comment on the setlists. What's will all the surprises? The setlists have been mind boggling. I loved the 2004 shows I attended but the setlists weren't too diverse. These setlists have been amazing. Sherpa, Chagrin Falls, We'll Go Too, Greasy Jungle, Fire in the Hole, Flamenco, 38 Years Old, The Wherewithal, THE RULES!!!!!!! Can't wait for Friday night. :thumb: