2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

July 24th 1994 Toronto.....

Last time for 38 Years Old, until last night.......
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

We stood halfway back between the stage and the soundboard.. dead centre.

The sound at this show and the over all mix was just deadly... I mean maybe the best I've heard certainly at an outdor venue. Crisp, clear... louder than last night. This had a huge effect on how the show went for me.

The setlist...ummm well it speaks for itself. Not one song from the night before. How often have they done that? The order seemed perfect.... Gord didn't play alot of guitar... he covered the stage from one end to the other and then some... CRAZY ENERGY.... old school energy but new style?

I thought BLOW was the perfect ending for a set and.... it wasn't... Something On and The Wherewithal to finish out !!! Even songs like SUMMER and PUTT'IN rocked enough to keep the wagon wheel roll'in

Thumbs up to Oceans and the rocker Drop Off... they fit in nicely.

Hearing songs like DADDY, SHERPA, 38 YEARS, GREASY & WE'LL GO TOO done "clean" was astounding.... by clean I mean Gord didn't fool with them much... Daddy as an opener was lethal and Sherpa sounded like the CD !

Conclusion:

This was show 48 (i think) for me and given the 38 Years old factor coupled with the overall setlist and sound....
this show ranked in my Top 5 easily !!!

JEFFRO

:thumb:
Last edited by thecompletist on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

What an amazing night... I couldn't believe it when 38 Years Old began... I know everyone on here always says that they would love to hear it, but I don't think anyone really thought they would actually play it again after all these years. Sherpa was amazing too.

Between Fort York and Belleville... 45 different songs!

Nick
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

Just got back from the t-dot, what an amazing show and an unbelievable setlist, Im still in shock.

So glad to meet a bunch of hipbaser's finally, and Bean you are da man! You had me laughing all nite brother, chancellor too, great hanging out with you guys. Chris,Chris it was nice to meet you as well, thanks for the french fries! I still cant belive Bean ate your half bitten chicken sandwich.

what a day! :lol:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Just got back from an EPIC GO Train ride, replete with a mini domestic, a token drag queen and a half-hour delay. But I digress: WHAT A SHOW. And check this out: despite this being my twelfth Hip show, I heard *ten* songs I'd never heard before. Ten!!! That's half the show! So yeah, an amazing night. Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but there wasn't a single repeat from yesterday. So, two shows, forty total songs. Not bad for a weekend's work.

Oh, and they played 38 Years Old. Oh my...

Steve
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

So yeah...I posted a quick reply earlier but it for some reason didn't post. So now that I am back from eating so bad artery-clogging food as a midnight snack, I will have to post again!

THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

I know some people are going to get up in the morning (like I typically do) and check the base for last night's setlist. And they are going to friggin' cry that they missed that one. It was just too good!

When they started playing 38 as Chris mentioned earlier, we were all in a state of shock. The shivers that went up and down my spine was just amazing! Immediately your mind starts racing to try and remember the last time they played this live. Sounds like it was July 1994...that's almost 12 years ago! And the weird thing is, the crowd was almost subdued because it's such a rarity and no one was ready for it. I mean no one.

I asked MAv after the show whether he knew anything about this before the show and he said he had heard a rumour that it might get played but when didn't see it on the setlist last night, he didn't know what was going to happen. Thanks for keeping that secret MAv, that's one that we didn't need to know about!

And it's hard to dwell on 38 because the setlist was sooooo good! I enjoyed the show from start to finish. It was completely different for me then the previous night's show. And to think that I was hesitant to even go tonight because of the crowd from last night but boy am I ever happy I did.

I really really enjoyed Ocean, I would think that it is just catchy enough that it probably should be the first single. But of course, that is just my opinion of the four new ones that we have heard so far. I mean, I really am diggin' Rink but Ocean was really cool! Great sing-a-long tune!

And so where else do we go from here? Daddy was an awesome opener; IAGLIYDW sounded really great tonight; Chagrin was a great surprise; Nautical is still and always will be one of my fav's live; 38 well I don't need to gush about that anymore; Sherpa was spot on tonight; I really wanted to hear No Threat live because I hadn't yet and the boys didn't disappoint; Wherewithal was an amazing closer for the main set; Greasy and We'll Go Too were just icing on the cake.

There is so much more to say but I am beat so it's off to bed.

...and I know people say this a lot on here so I am going to only say it for me: Of the 20+ shows I have seen live and ALL the hundreds of live bootlegs and recordings I've seen and heard, Nothing will top that show for me. That was the best!

And I meant what I said to you MAv at the end of the show: Please tell the boys Thank you! Thank you for such a magical experience and a show I will NEVER forget!
screw_ball
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by screw_ball »

Holy Christ. This is the best setlist I have ever seen. Can't wait to hear the show once we're alowed to.
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Best show...ever.

What a night. I had to laugh at the few fans that were actually complaining on the way out. If they only had a clue...

Oceans and Drop Off = solid!!
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

Un-freaking-believable.

This was my first show of this tour and I have to say the boys are as tight as I've ever seen them. Can't get over the setlist, I was speechless all night. In the 10+ shows I've been to I had heard Poets, NOIS, and Grace every time, and not one of them tonight! Don't get me wrong they're all great live songs, but I would much rather have the rarities. 38 (obviously), Sherpa, Where, and an amazing (as always) rendition of Nautical (that Gord dedicated to "our boys in Afghanistan") were the highlights if I had to narrow it down. Ocean really impressed me, can't wait for the new album. And We'll Go was a perfect way to end it off.

The Weakerthans put on a terrific show, would've liked to hear more from Left & Leaving but that's just me being greedy. One of the best lines of the night came from the guy from the Sadies. When faced with chants of "HIP, HIP" he calmly went to the mic and shouted "HOORAY." And speaking of the Sadies, they can really play too. I had never heard much of their stuff before, but I'll definitely be picking up some of their music now. They join the list of bands I've become a fan of after seeing them open for The Hip, which already includes Sam Roberts and the aforementioned Weakerthans...

Overall one of the best nights of live music I've ever witnessed.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

LizardKing51 wrote:Just got back from the t-dot, what an amazing show and an unbelievable setlist, Im still in shock.

So glad to meet a bunch of hipbaser's finally, and Bean you are da man! You had me laughing all nite brother, chancellor too, great hanging out with you guys. Chris,Chris it was nice to meet you as well, thanks for the french fries! I still cant belive Bean ate your half bitten chicken sandwich.

what a day! :lol:
I thought it was a fish sandwich.
freddie_hg
New Maybe
New Maybe

Mixed review

Post by freddie_hg »

Hi everyone.
I feel bad about making this only my second post, but it is my opinion and I will try to justify it as best as I can.
First, the set list was amazing. I really liked hearing the songs that were played, and I am glad there were a few of the rarer ones. I will get to that more later.
Second, 38 years old. as soon as Gordon introduced it, I looked at the wife and smiled. we both knew what was coming up. The only thing about it is that I would have LOVED to hear it by The Hip, and sung by Gordon. I know everyone was excited, but this leads me in to my third point, the fact that any some what popular song was turned in to a giant Kareoke session. The only thing I heard during 38 years was some of the instruments, and thousands of people screaming the lyrics as loud as they could. 12 years since the last time it was played, only to NOT be able to hear it for the crowd. Gordon really appeard to be struggling to be heard over the people who want to be part of the band, and not just watch them. Don't get me wrong, some parts can be sung along with, but not the whole show. My wife commented that she could have got the same effect by listening to me singing in the shower along with The Hip. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was struggling to hear Gordon sing.
The crowd was good. The worst was Sarnia, not the last time but the one before that, 2002 I think. There were fights all over then, and people constantly getting thrown out. Today, the only incident I saw was when one person tried to jump the fences to the beer garden. Except for the pushing. I was about 30' from stage left, and it wasn't bad, but still more pushing than I prefer. Unfortunately for this, today will likely be my last Hip general admission show.
There was also the standard selection of idiots screaming during the songs. I wish the audio was a bit louder, so it would have drowned them out more. Also, what is the point of chanting "Hip, Hip, Hip" during a song by The Hip? What could be accomplished by this? In case someone forgets where they are, this will remind them?
The venue was very nice. The fort was a good place to play. It was the fastest time I have ever had to leave the show after it was over! security going in was a bit slow, but overall, very good.
Overall, the show was good. The band was great. The songs were great. The crowd was something to be desired, but all in all, the concert was good.
I hope I don't come off as a hater after this post, I still love The Hip, and I will go see other shows.

Steve
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mats »

Fourty six Hip shows later...tonight?...top three.
Done.
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: Mixed review

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

freddie_hg wrote:Hi everyone.
I feel bad about making this only my second post, but it is my opinion and I will try to justify it as best as I can.
First, the set list was amazing. I really liked hearing the songs that were played, and I am glad there were a few of the rarer ones. I will get to that more later.
Second, 38 years old. as soon as Gordon introduced it, I looked at the wife and smiled. we both knew what was coming up. The only thing about it is that I would have LOVED to hear it by The Hip, and sung by Gordon. I know everyone was excited, but this leads me in to my third point, the fact that any some what popular song was turned in to a giant Kareoke session. The only thing I heard during 38 years was some of the instruments, and thousands of people screaming the lyrics as loud as they could. 12 years since the last time it was played, only to NOT be able to hear it for the crowd. Gordon really appeard to be struggling to be heard over the people who want to be part of the band, and not just watch them. Don't get me wrong, some parts can be sung along with, but not the whole show. My wife commented that she could have got the same effect by listening to me singing in the shower along with The Hip. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was struggling to hear Gordon sing.
The crowd was good. The worst was Sarnia, not the last time but the one before that, 2002 I think. There were fights all over then, and people constantly getting thrown out. Today, the only incident I saw was when one person tried to jump the fences to the beer garden. Except for the pushing. I was about 30' from stage left, and it wasn't bad, but still more pushing than I prefer. Unfortunately for this, today will likely be my last Hip general admission show.
There was also the standard selection of idiots screaming during the songs. I wish the audio was a bit louder, so it would have drowned them out more. Also, what is the point of chanting "Hip, Hip, Hip" during a song by The Hip? What could be accomplished by this? In case someone forgets where they are, this will remind them?
The venue was very nice. The fort was a good place to play. It was the fastest time I have ever had to leave the show after it was over! security going in was a bit slow, but overall, very good.
Overall, the show was good. The band was great. The songs were great. The crowd was something to be desired, but all in all, the concert was good.
I hope I don't come off as a hater after this post, I still love The Hip, and I will go see other shows.

Steve
i dont know where you were standing, but where i was the sound was amazing...could barely hear the croud over the band...

glad i made this show...like others said, this was my 11th hip show and by far my fav yet. loved wherewithal closing the first set, and daddy opening the show...and hearing 38 years, after all these years...was incredible. Gords animation on stage was another highligt for me. the mic stand bits never get old!!

keep it up boys, cant wait until you come back!!
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

All I can say is wow. That is definately the best show I've ever seen. The setlist was absolutely phenominal. When they ripped into 38 years old I got so excited I started to shake a little bit. I still get goosebumps when I think about Pual busting into the first notes of it. You're not the Ocean sounded great, I cant wait for the new album to drop judging by the new songs thus far. Greasy Jungle, Sherpa and Chagrin Falls were just phenominal, before tonight they were probably the 2 songs that I wanted to see live the most and I'm loving how they're opening with Don't Wake Daddy now.

Gord's intro to Courage was awesome "A nurse can do more than a priest, a nurse can do more than a lawyer with a conscience, a nurse can do almost as much as a rock critic, this is for the nurses at sick kids." and it was awesome when he pretended to fall asleep during 100th meridian and proceeded to say "I musted have nodded off there, I just fall asleep when I see violence at a rock show, it's so goddamn dumb, its just so boring and predictable."

The crowd from where I was, about 40ft from the stage on Robby's side for the most part was pretty good, I only saw 1 fight and a few crowd surfers who hit the ground really hard. Other than that there really wasn't any pushy drunks.

I went with 3 buddies, 2 of which were seeing the hip for the first time. They couldn't have picked a better show to be introduced to the hip live experience. Gordie and the rest of the boys were definately on top of their game last night. I didnt think they could top Belleville for the best show I've ever seen but they did last night.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Hi, my name is John. I wasn't at the show last night.

To the dude complaining about the giant Kareoke session that was 38 years old.

I hate you with a firey passion.

that is all.