2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

nois wrote:i wish i could hear every rant from shows that i've gone to, but i'd rather sing.
:scratch:
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

eatmecompletely wrote:
1) It is just a concert, someone attending as the same right as you do to enjoy the concert. If singing makes them happy let them sing. We are all there for a good time
:scratch:
eatmecompletely wrote:
2) Dude you shouldnt take this too seriously it just a concert, the purpose is for Everyone to enjoy ! If singing lets them enjoy it, than that is awesome, it is also a free country

:scratch: :scratch:

I guess I just forget how stupid some people are.

My bad.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

I wish I could remember my weekend too!
Or any concert I have gone too minute for minute, but I cant, all I remeber are the good times with myself, my friends and the band that has bonded us all together. Its not about the rants, its not about gord hitting every note, its not about hearing a song they havent played since 94

Its about having fun with your friends and everyone bonding due to the one thing that all 5K people at the show have in common, their love for the hip's music
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

are you calling me stupid?
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:I'm simply sticking up for Steve, who said he couldn't hear Gord sing a rare song when he wished he could, only to be told that HE WAS HATED by some members of this forum.
i'm not really going to join the big debate, but i believe that the hate comment somewhat of a joke from someone who wasnt at that concert and would have given their left testacle to hear a crowd sing 38 years old along with the hip

that is all
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

i was at the show and I could hear GD sing 38 years old, i've heard louder sing-alongs than that.
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Concert reviews people, no bitch slapping...
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
The Mad Machinist
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by The Mad Machinist »

Hi, I'm new here but I thought I'd pipein about my concert experience.
It was indeed very rowdy at the front because of a few drunken fans. As the story goes a few wreck it for the many.
My Vantage point however was a little different because I was on the other side of the barricade.
Most of you true fans of the Hip was excellent and I mean excellent.....
I am a huge Hip fan (Probably not as big as you folks but I see a vast array of other bands and as far as security working and dealing with techs and management 5 stars all around and thats rare.) Over to you (see you in the Pit.................)

The Mad Machinist..........
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

thanks man

I cant believe how angry that guy is

Everyone needs to just chill out. This is a band message board it is nothing serious at all.

I am holding back my other comments

But once again this is just a bands message board you cant get to worked up about this

Wow
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

I could tell that there were going to be a few rowdy fans when this one clown kept chanting Hip, Hip, Hip before the Sadies even hit the stage. This same kid then drops a bottle of whisky on the ground that was 3/4 full. He was already pretty hammered at that point and we were still hours away from the Hip hitting the stage. The security was pretty lax getting in. This dude had the bottle wrapped up in a t-shirt. I can only imagine how many others did just the same.

I settled back into the middle about halfway back and the crowd was great. I can just imagine that when Gord kept referring to the uncalled for aggression at a rock show that he was speaking directly to this kid.

What a great show though. Too bad some idiots out there have to get liquored up and rowdy to have a good time. Have a drink or two, relax and remember the show! I don't even care if you sing along, just don't keep bumping into me and acting like an asshat.

Oh and they played 38 Years Freaking Old!!!!!!!! Unreal...

Can't wait for the next time they come around, I'll be there!
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

farmerdan69 wrote: i'm not really going to join the big debate, but i believe that the hate comment somewhat of a joke from someone who wasnt at that concert and would have given their left testacle to hear a crowd sing 38 years old along with the hip

that is all
I bet my brother my left testicle that they wouldn't play 38 Years Old. Needless to say, I am now a member of the John Kruk club. Damn surprises.

:lol:

Nice to meet you at the show farmerdan! What a blast.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

a) Wasn't joking. I hate him and all 5000 attendees for experiencing something so magical without me. But I hate him more for finding something to complain about.

b) I hate people that sing, specifically my sister who makes up words to Vaccincation Car...

c) I like when everyone sings along to what I would consider sing along moments, Courage, Ahead By A Century, that little bit at the end of 100th Meridian, shit like that, it's a bonding experience.

d) I don't smoke, nor do I hate smokers.

e) I am notorious for bad spelling, but I didn't go to school for english, and I have no desire to learn the proper use of it.

f) I liked Posieden, so no one should really pay any attention to my opinions.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

farmerdan69 wrote:
The Horrible Esthete wrote:I'm simply sticking up for Steve, who said he couldn't hear Gord sing a rare song when he wished he could, only to be told that HE WAS HATED by some members of this forum.
i'm not really going to join the big debate, but i believe that the hate comment somewhat of a joke from someone who wasnt at that concert and would have given their left testacle to hear a crowd sing 38 years old along with the hip

that is all
You nailed it FarmerDan,
I am just extremely jealous, and my "seconding" of the hate comment was intended to be completely sarcastic.

As for the singing vs. non singing I am kinda indifferent. I don't like having the lyrics screamed into my ears by a drunken idiot, but I don't mind a mild singalong. There are things in concerts that bug me much more, such as the crowd surfer, and the girl on her boyfriend's shoulders. In my opinion, nothing infringes on your concert experience more than a kick to the head from an unexpected crowd surfer, or having your view of the band completely blocked by some drunk girl dancing on her boyfriend's shoulders.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

There is so much complaining in this thread that I can't hear the reviews.
Hengelo
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Hengelo »

Wow, reading through the above kerfuffle has resulted in 10 minutes I'll never get back.

Instead of beating the same old points to death a little more, I'll instead focus on a few more subtle things about this outstanding night.

1) Anyone notice during 38 that Gordie, for obvious reasons, mumbled through the line "See my sister got raped"?

2) That had to be the greatest rendition of Blow that I've ever heard. When Gordie was having trouble with his earpiece/mic at the end of the song, he tapped Mr. Baker on the shoulder to let him know that he was going to have to jam a little while Gord got himself organized, and did he ever. This song was dead in my books until then.

3) Gord solidified himself as Canada's sweatiest musician that night. My girlfriend pointed out that not only was Gord's entire crotch soaked through by the end of the show, but he was suffering from a severe case of crack sweat.

4) Was anyone else standing around the big guy who passed out cross-legged in the crowd during the Weakerthans set and remained so for the first few Hip songs? He was about 40 feet from the stage, in line with Paulie.

He appeared to be alone, and was eventually woken up by a few kind Hipsters. As he awkwardly made his way to his feet and took in his surroundings as if he had no idea where he was, he proceeded to tell those around him that he was perfectly alright. Wow.

5) The line of the night has to go to my buddy who, when rudely told by the guy at the Bathurst entrance that HE doesn't scan the tickets (his sole job was to let concertgoers walk to the frisking station one by one), replied "Oh, you haven't been promoted to that position yet?". A clever response did not follow.

All in all, this was an incredible show that easily ranks among the top 5 that I've attended (12 in all). The setlist is up there with the greatest one I've witnessed (Dec. 23, 2000), and from what I saw, the crowd was fantastic. The respect shown to the Weakerthans (unlike what supposedly took place at Friday's show) was much appreciated. I had "Utilities" stuck in my head all day Sunday.