2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

nois wrote:
Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
chris wrote:when he almost took out Paul, the laughter from our group could almost be heard over the music!
Paul would've kicked his ass!
a man once said that the nile was chuck norris shaking his unit after pissing out the amazon, but it's actually from the sweat off paul's beer bottle after he built the pyramids.......................... with one hand!
:lol: :lol: Nice! I'll have to remember that one!
Spread the word!
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

Didn't really want to start a new topic for a quick question -- does the current tour have a name? I thought I saw "Summer Fling" somewhere, but did I just make that up?

ct
nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

on the t shirts, i think it says that on the back, mine is outside in the car still. lol!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Chris Tanz wrote:Didn't really want to start a new topic for a quick question -- does the current tour have a name? I thought I saw "Summer Fling" somewhere, but did I just make that up?

ct
Here is a picture of bigA's shirt:
Summer Fling
http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

what were some people's opinions on the sadies?
I heard lots about the Hip and Weakerthans...but not very much about the Sadies..?
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

Chris Tanz wrote:Didn't really want to start a new topic for a quick question -- does the current tour have a name? I thought I saw "Summer Fling" somewhere, but did I just make that up?

ct

I'm calling it "Bring It Back"

Get ready PEI, you're next for the experience!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

BRoach wrote:what were some people's opinions on the sadies?
I heard lots about the Hip and Weakerthans...but not very much about the Sadies..?
Not really my style. Have tried to listen to their album (or one one their albums) a couple of times now and I can't get into it. We missed their performance on Friday night and Saturday night I spent talking with a new friend. They couldn't really keep my attention. I know there were others that were enjoying it, just not for me!
Sam
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sam »

nois wrote: a man once said that the nile was chuck norris shaking his unit after pissing out the amazon, but it's actually from the sweat off paul's beer bottle after he built the pyramids.......................... with one hand!
...a cigarette dangling from his mouth...
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
nois wrote:8 bucks for a cheeseburger
EIGHT BUCKS for a cheeseburger? Wow. That's a little steep. On the other hand you should talk to Beanmedic. It's been 22 hours now and I am pretty sure he is still waiting for his hot-dog! 8)
I can confirm that the hot dog actually DID arrive, at approximately 645pm, which was maybe 2 hours after ordering it? We didn't touch it, so its probably still sitting on the table waiting for Beanmedic to claim it. :)

Miserable trip home last night (damn thunderstorms closing the airports) but I really didn't care because the boys made it worthwhile. It didn't hit me until a couple hours after the show that not one single song was repeated from Friday night. Amazing. As others have said, this show was for us, the massive fans. THIS is why I love this band, and why I do crazy things like last second jaunts to Toronto to see them. Such an amazing couple of nights. Thanks Das Hips!

Also great to see a lot of fellow Hipbasers again, and meet others that I hadn't met before. You guys are a blast to hang out with. And Jamie, I will never ever forget the look on your face when we realized they were playing 38 Years Old. It was priceless.

P.S. Hey bigA, how about that Hamilton dvd??? :lol:
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: Mixed review

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

freddie_hg wrote:....38 years old.....I would have LOVED to hear it by The Hip, and sung by Gordon. I know everyone was excited, but this leads me in to my third point, the fact that any some what popular song was turned in to a giant Kareoke session. The only thing I heard during 38 years was some of the instruments, and thousands of people screaming the lyrics as loud as they could. 12 years since the last time it was played, only to NOT be able to hear it for the crowd. Gordon really appeard to be struggling to be heard over the people who want to be part of the band, and not just watch them. Don't get me wrong, some parts can be sung along with, but not the whole show. My wife commented that she could have got the same effect by listening to me singing in the shower along with The Hip. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was struggling to hear Gordon sing.
.......There was also the standard selection of idiots screaming during the songs. I wish the audio was a bit louder, so it would have drowned them out more. Also, what is the point of chanting "Hip, Hip, Hip" during a song by The Hip? What could be accomplished by this? In case someone forgets where they are, this will remind them?
Well, Steve, I am one who completely sympathizes (I wasn't at Fort York) and empathizes (I've experienced this same abomination at Hip shows before) with you. I feel it's selfish and disrespectful to enfringe on the opportunity on fellow concertgoers to hear THE ARTIST deliver the performance. The only time such behavior is acceptable is when the performer(s) expressly solicit some "help" or "participation" from the audience though a verbal request or by extending the mic out towards the crowd.

To those of you who have berated Steve for expressing his adversion to your rudeness and lack of consideration for others: check yourself. Not only is his point completely valid, but have you considered why you feel justified in degrading the experience of your fellow paying patrons with your woefully amateurish contributions? Better yet, have you even asked yourself why you even SING ALONG LOUDLY, and not just quietly to yourself, under your breath??

Yeah, yeah, yeah - you'll insist on some bullshit rationalization that you do it because "it makes you feel good", and that it's "an anticipated part of the concert experience" but I contest that the only satisfaction it brings you is in the form of stroking your own ego, as you proclaim yourself to be a "real" fan by "showing" everybody within earshot that you know the the lyrics and the melody to this song, that song - ALL the songs.

Two words: Bush-League.

You aren't twleve, and this isn't a Jessica Simpson CD-release at a shopping mall.

So good for you, Sing-along-guy. You're an honest-to-goodness "true fan", and you win the honor of distinguished jackass-who-doesn't-know-how-annoyingly-shitty-he-sounds.

Now shut your pie-hole and leave the singing to the professionals onstage.

:rambo:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Imagine this post isn't here... somehow the next post got posted twice...
Last edited by chris on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

The Horrible Esthete wrote: Well, Steve, I am one who completely sympathizes (I wasn't at Fort York) and empathizes (I've experienced this same abomination at Hip shows before) with you. I feel it's selfish and disrespectful to enfringe on the opportunity on fellow concertgoers to hear THE ARTIST deliver the performance. The only time such behavior is acceptable is when the performer(s) expressly solicit some "help" or "participation" from the audience though a verbal request or by extending the mic out towards the crowd.

To those of you who have berated Steve for expressing his adversion to your rudeness and lack of consideration for others: check yourself. Not only is his point completely valid, but have you considered why you feel justified in degrading the experience of your fellow paying patrons with your woefully amateurish contributions? Better yet, have you even asked yourself why you even SING ALONG LOUDLY, and not just quietly to yourself, under your breath??

Yeah, yeah, yeah - you'll insist on some bullshit rationalization that you do it because "it makes you feel good", and that it's "an anticipated part of the concert experience" but I contest that the only satisfaction it brings you is in the form of stroking your own ego, as you proclaim yourself to be a "real" fan by "showing" everybody within earshot that you know the the lyrics and the melody to this song, that song - ALL the songs.

Two words: Bush-League.

You aren't twleve, and this isn't a Jessica Simpson CD-release at a shopping mall.

So good for you, Sing-along-guy. You're an honest-to-goodness "true fan", and you win the honor of distinguished jackass-who-doesn't-know-how-annoyingly-shitty-he-sounds.

Now shut your pie-hole and leave the singing to the professionals onstage.

:rambo:
In your argument, can we substitute smoking for singingg?
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Where is my SLAP emoticon!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Hey bigA, how about that Hamilton dvd???
sitting on my hard drive, hopefully after Europe.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

chris wrote:In your argument, can we substitute smoking for singingg?
Are you suggesting that "smoking" can prevent one from hearing TTH perform 38 Years Old?

I really don't see how smoke can be louder than the stage amplification system.