2006-06-24 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

troublewithnames
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by troublewithnames »

This was the first time I've ever seen The Hip at a venue that wasn't relatively small-so I'm kind of spoiled that way. In fact, no matter what band it is I sort of prefer smaller venues. However, it was really neat to see the difference in the energy and intensity of the performance. Gordie seems at his best on a bigger stage. I'm so glad I didn't miss this one! Like everyone else I was so happy to hear 38 Years Old!

I'm also really impressed by Gordie's concern for audience members. I wish the large, violent young men would recognize the power that they have to hurt people in their endeavors to have a good time. The fact that there are a lot of people around does not diminish their (or anyone's, for that matter) responsibility to do no harm. As other people have mentioned, Gordie did make a fairly big deal of it (obviously because he cares for us.) :) Perhaps, that's one of the reasons it, among other things, has been complained on so much.

I loved what Gordie said..something about, "Is that how you would treat your Mother?" (To the ones who were being very rough.) This meant a lot to me, mainly because my Mother was there, and at one point I was a bit afraid that she might get hurt. Everything turned out fine, and she enjoyed seeing The Hip-she was a first timer at this show.

This show was really awesome! I hope I don't end up having to wait another two years to see them again.
Tews
New Maybe
New Maybe

Average Hip Fan age

Post by Tews »

Just browsing the reviews of the Fort York show - some who have been to over 10 Hip shows but saying that 10 of the 20 songs played Saturday were new to them...only 2 would have been new to me, having been to Belleville Wednesday, and seeing my first show in 93.
Anyone else out here who's first shows were pre-Day for Night?
Talk about bad crowds? Try Molson Park!
Anyway, just a thought. Glad you all saw 38 Years Old and glad that NOIS has finally given way to any other (better) tune on occasion. The new ones are great in my opinion...
SooGuy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: Average Hip Fan age

Post by SooGuy »

Tews wrote:Anyone else out here who's first shows were pre-Day for Night? Talk about bad crowds? Try Molson Park!
I've seen a few shows pre-Day for Nite. I am trying to remember the year I first saw them live, but I definitely saw them in 1989 or 1990 at the Ontario Place Forum. I think I only ever managed to brave one Molson Park show and was not impressed with the venue or the crowds.
Sam
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sam »

LOL! - Most of my Hip shows are pre-Day for Night. :oops:
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: Average Hip Fan age

Post by thompson girl »

SooGuy wrote:
Tews wrote:Anyone else out here who's first shows were pre-Day for Night? Talk about bad crowds? Try Molson Park!
I've seen a few shows pre-Day for Nite. I am trying to remember the year I first saw them live, but I definitely saw them in 1989 or 1990 at the Ontario Place Forum. I think I only ever managed to brave one Molson Park show and was not impressed with the venue or the crowds.
Yeah, I hated Molson Park, mostly cause back then I was only 18 years old and wasn't used to big, crazy crowds. The water bottle throwing incident of 1994 almost (almost) put me off ever going to see the Hip again!

I don't believe there were 6,000 people at Fort York. Again, I was at the back, beside the sound stage and it didn't seem like there were that many people in front of me. I had a clear view of the whole stage, and again, the sound was incredible (I could even hear Gord amongst all the people singing :wink: ).

Its too bad Fort York isn't used for more concerts. This is a much better venue than the amphitheatre IMHO.
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

As a smoker & a "concert singer", I'm staying out of that debate... :lol:

I didn't see the guy passed out during the Weakerthans, but there was a guy (maybe same person) who passed out right before the Hip's encore, about 5 feet to my right (I was maybe 50 feet from stage, almost center). All of a sudden there was an open circle with some older guy on the ground...paramedics worked their way in, and were with the guy for the entire encore. When we were leaving (heading towards Bathurst exit), 2 more paramedics were making their way with a stretcher, probably to that guy...hope he was alright....
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

I for one am FOR concert singing. We are there to share in an experience.

Call me a mark, but listening to a pearl jam concert with the audience belting out some verses at the behest of Eddie usually makes my hair stand on end.

Alive isn't alive without a little crowd participation......
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

If you hate singing, clapping must really piss you off.
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

Sounds like you guys saw something special on saturday night. Damn I'm pissed I missed it.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I'm all for getting up so close or getting really close to a speaker, so even though you're yelling at the top of your lungs... nobody can hear a thing! Its the best!

But I must remind everyone that I read these for reviews. Not heated debates on whether or not concert singing is cool.
Its EXTREMELY easy to start a new thread somewhere else.
Sorry if I sound like a douche.

SO... speaking of Fort York on June 24th, 2006....
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

troublewithnames wrote:This was the first time I've ever seen The Hip at a venue that wasn't relatively small
I sure hope they make it back to The Newport in C-bus, or play the Agora in Cleveland again, or perhaps even the Taft in Cincy just once....?

Dare to dream, I always say....

Good times, great venues.....
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:
troublewithnames wrote:This was the first time I've ever seen The Hip at a venue that wasn't relatively small
I sure hope they make it back to The Newport in C-bus, or play the Agora in Cleveland again, or perhaps even the Taft in Cincy just once....?

Dare to dream, I always say....

Good times, great venues.....
How is the "Agora" compared to the Odeon in Cleveland? Loved the atmosphere and the size when I had the chance to see them in '04 at the Odeon (you know, the one were they played Fighter Fighter for the first time EVER!! 8) )
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

One non-confrontational vote for SINGING here! :thumb:

Having played in rock bands for most of my teens through adult years, I can say that I LOVE to here folks screaming the lyrics to songs my bands have done! I won't pull any punches here by saying that it is truly a compliment and touching in its own loud and usually drunkin' way.

When I'm at a show I don't usually sing too loud myself but I love to hear anyone..no matter if they have the words right or not, singing with the band! Raise your voices!

If I want to hear 38 years old without the singing, I can put headphones on and lay in the living room with my eyes closed.

I wished I could have heard any of the Drunken Hip Choir givin it their all Saturday night!

OF COURSE...there are a few who do spoil things for others.....I CAN"T TOLERATE having beer dumped on me, being pushed, young punks squeezing in front at the last minute, people not being able to control their buzz/liquor intake to the point of puking...etc. :rambo:
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

I think concert singalong at certain moments are awesome. Like singing the opening to Nautical, or the entire 38 YO. It's a big moment, that I think enhances the whole experience.

As for singing along at every song, you can barely hear the ppl over Gord anyways unless someone is absolutely screaming the words.

Some people are overreacting. I'd much rather have everyone sing than have 1000 drunk assholes nearby.
musicfan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by musicfan »

thehip11 wrote: Don't Wake Daddy
Courage
Oceans (New Song)
Summer's Killing Us
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Chagrin Falls
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
38 Years Old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Puttin Down
100th Meridian
Sherpa
Springtime in Vienna
No Threat
Blow at High Dough
Something On
The Wherewithal
Encore
The Drop Off
Greasy Jungle
We'll Go Too
first to beanmedic this is some funny shit you posted...
"If you hate singing, clapping must really piss you off."

LMFAO :lol:

ok back 2 da show...

i love henhouse so much. the opener was FAB. is it possible to not LOVE sherpa? in the dope of the pigment, in a poetic state of mind…YOW

of course i was happy to hear it's a good life, because they didn't play it in belleville and in the same sentence i gotta say HUGE kudos to the band for keeping the live shows ever changing. thank you thank you !!

ok, so 38 years old, was cool too

something on…a repeat from belleville that was most welcomed

the werewithall was the best set closer. my show buddy didn’t recognize that song, it was his first show…he really needs to own fully completely…but I suppose ya gotta start somewhere…anyways he was just happy to be there…he’ll be going back, that I can gaurentee you of! LMAO

putting down and greasy jungle were other highlights…however failing to mention all the great new songs and that fact that the band allows tapers/trading is worthy of mentioning. there will be noone who gets a copy of this live show, and doesn’t buy the new cd and any record company exec that thinks otherwise is a dumb F. it’s good advertising, man.

anyways…kudos to the band for going green. they care a lot and are clearly among the leaders in everything. as a fan they make me so damn proud

fort york was amazing. the night was perfect. they could have easily played the molson amp or the acc, and yet they didn't

best band ever