2006-06-23 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

goYYZgo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by goYYZgo »

I am going to the show tonight and I need some clarification on something.

On the Hip's website, it says that video cameras are OK to bring to the show (which I was amazed at). However, on the Ticketmaster website, it says that video cameras are NOT allowed.

Which one of these sources is correct?

Thanks
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

goYYZgo wrote:I am going to the show tonight and I need some clarification on something.

On the Hip's website, it says that video cameras are OK to bring to the show (which I was amazed at). However, on the Ticketmaster website, it says that video cameras are NOT allowed.

Thanks
The Hip's. Chris Chris has some issues at the gate, but they quickly got sorted out. Be polite, come earlier to avoid hassles and allow time for geting things sorted out if there are issues.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

MAverick wrote:
goYYZgo wrote:I am going to the show tonight and I need some clarification on something.

Thanks
The Hip's. Chris Chris has some issues at the gate, but they quickly got sorted out. Be polite, come earlier to avoid hassles and allow time for geting things sorted out if there are issues.
As MAv mentioned, we should have gone down earlier to ensure that any potential issues didn't prevent us from getting in. That said, once we got talking to the right people, the issues disappeared, and they assured us that they would alert all security personnel that fans are allowed to bring their gear to the Saturday show.

If you do plan on videotaping the show, please send your tapes my way so that I can work them into a multi angle DVD! As well, per MAv/The Hip, we will not be distributing and audio or video from the 2006 shows until the album gets released - but I will gladly work on the editing so that we have a boatload of goodies to share when we are given the green light!
IMissMyLungBob
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by IMissMyLungBob »

IMO, the show kicked ass! although there were a few disappointment...
for starters, i know its been mentioned a lot but the crowd was terrible including a few pukies around me.
second, the length was quite short with only one encore, but its not the quantity its the quality (which was incredable).
and lastly, i was really looking forward to seeing "Drop Off" but it was no where to be seen, and a couple other key songs were missing from the setlist aswell... "At The Hundredth Meridian" and "Blow At High Dough".
Simply shocking.
but all that aside it was still amazing. Gord D was energetic, as usual, and there were some excellent surprise songs including "Lionized" and "Flamenco"

I was situated at the right side (looking at the stage) about 20 ft. back.
Last edited by IMissMyLungBob on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiphiphip50
New Maybe
New Maybe

Unreal Concert

Post by hiphiphip50 »

Got there around 11:30 am with 7 buddys, drank all day, go into the line to get into the gate around 1, a green and orange taxi pulls up, Paul Langlois gets out, nearly me and my friend faint, got some pictures with him, shake his hand, get his autograph, 5 pm rolls around we get in, HIP comes on at 9 , plays and as their leaving the guy with the HIP belt buckle comes up to me and goes to the security give this to the fine gentlemen right there, SETLIST, just an UNREAL day, love the HIP, # 6 concert soon
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

[quote="Jack Straw"]

What's with all the bitching about the crowd on this board? I mean it's a concert. What do you expect?

Are you one of the idiots that was crowd surfing to fireworks? It's nice to enjoy the band insted of having to watch for a kick in the head.
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I was there with my 90 year old gammy and when we finally pushed our way into the mosh pit she got lost control. Now mind you, she was only in the pen for 10 years, and she claims her partying days are behind he...but man- she was out of control. Grammy was blitzed. I tried to stop her, said to her, "the new hip might not make it through.", She just gave me one of HER looks and tucked her lifeline neckalce into her sweater and started crowd surfing.... I was driving, so I was sober you see? I only had 8 beers. Luckily when she reached the security pit in front of the stage the security dudes took good care of her. again, I'm sorry for my drunk grammy.
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

What should be noted about that review is that Bill Harris really dislikes the Hip. So for him to give it four stars shows how they performed.

I live to feed you these tidbits.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

After the last terrible GA experience I had at the Sudbury Bluesfest a couple of years ago, I pledged that I wouldn't bother with another GA show. Of course, when the first show of the summer was announced for Fort York, I couldn't resist and decided to lift my self-imposed ban. Having said that, Friday night was a fine experience for me. I did arrive with a totaly different perspective than ever before though.

I've had front row seats in an arena and I've been pressed up against the stage in a small club, but I've also sat at the opposite end of the ACC and enjoyed myself thoroughly. While there is something absolutely amazing about seeing every expresion on Johnny's face and studying Robby's fingers from just a few feet away, I figured that I'd done that before, and would hopefully get good enough tickets to do it again, so I'd be better off enjoying the show from a little farther away on Friday night. I'm glad!

I was surprised to read some of the comments already written. From where I was, against the fence in front of the VIP area, just in front of BigA's camera, I never even realized how bad it was getting up front. Although I saw the crowd surfers, and heard a couple of "Hip" chants during the Weakerthans set, I wouldn't have even know how bad it was getting at times. I guess that speaks volumes for the band's hypnotizing draw though!

All in all, I'm glad I decided before even getting to the venue that I'd hang back on the sidelines and enjoy the show for the music this time! It was great to meet you Kerry, Scott, Chris, Trevor, Steve, Matt and Adrian (sorry for calling you Al, I don't know where that came from!).
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Hairbird wrote:After the last terrible GA experience I had at the Sudbury Bluesfest a couple of years ago, I pledged that I wouldn't bother with another GA show. Of course, when the first show of the summer was announced for Fort York, I couldn't resist and decided to lift my self-imposed ban. Having said that, Friday night was a fine experience for me. I did arrive with a totaly different perspective than ever before though.

I've had front row seats in an arena and I've been pressed up against the stage in a small club, but I've also sat at the opposite end of the ACC and enjoyed myself thoroughly. While there is something absolutely amazing about seeing every expresion on Johnny's face and studying Robby's fingers from just a few feet away, I figured that I'd done that before, and would hopefully get good enough tickets to do it again, so I'd be better off enjoying the show from a little farther away on Friday night. I'm glad!

I was surprised to read some of the comments already written. From where I was, against the fence in front of the VIP area, just in front of BigA's camera, I never even realized how bad it was getting up front. Although I saw the crowd surfers, and heard a couple of "Hip" chants during the Weakerthans set, I wouldn't have even know how bad it was getting at times. I guess that speaks volumes for the band's hypnotizing draw though!

All in all, I'm glad I decided before even getting to the venue that I'd hang back on the sidelines and enjoy the show for the music this time! It was great to meet you Kerry, Scott, Chris, Trevor, Steve, Matt and Adrian (sorry for calling you Al, I don't know where that came from!).
Great meeting you too James! Sorry that you couldn't make Saturday's show after all. It was a doozy!
habsfan19
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by habsfan19 »

Great show once again for the 2nd show in 3 nights for me...after reading all the reviews for Saturday's show, it looks like I missed the best of the 2 nights at Fort York, but I got to see Feist, Bloc Party and Broken Social Scene which was amazing on Olympic Island

As for The Hip at Fort York, first off, amazing venue if you ask me, nothing better than outdoor venues, to have the city skyline in the background made it much better..being a small venue also helped, shows always better with less people I think.

We were in the beer tent near the fence they had setup, basically the front of the beer tent, everyone near us were having a blast, one fight almost broke out but it didn't, 2 dudes decided it would be stupid I think

Hip were great, I'm not sold on Lonely End of the Rink yet, will need a few more listens and studio version to decide I think

Lake Fever was one of my favs for the show, great song, being close to the lake made it better, only the Gardiner was in the way

Didn't see anyone there Friday night, got there late anyways with my friend...hope everyone enjoyed the show
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
Hairbird wrote:After the last terrible GA experience I had at the Sudbury Bluesfest a couple of years ago, I pledged that I wouldn't bother with another GA show. Of course, when the first show of the summer was announced for Fort York, I couldn't resist and decided to lift my self-imposed ban. Having said that, Friday night was a fine experience for me. I did arrive with a totaly different perspective than ever before though.

Great meeting you too James! Sorry that you couldn't make Saturday's show after all. It was a doozy!
I second that. James, thanks again for the ticket and I enjoyed hanging out with you before the show. It's a shame you had to miss Saturday though. I've been in similar situations (family events vs. "fun" things) so I feel your pain!

At Fridays show I did venture up closer to the stage on Paul's side and while there were a couple of irritating people in the area it wasn't too bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised, as I expected it to be a lot worse. I think I've learned a valuable lesson from the Fort York and Guelph shows - always stand on the side furthest away from the beer tent!
coldlakeswimmer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Pics

Post by coldlakeswimmer »

Here are some really crappy pictures. I took 2 dozen and these are the best :roll: I was really disapointed, so I look forward to seeing everyone elses.

I also have a 12 sec clip, but with no sound.

srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Okay, I see that while we can't upload images right now (at least the option doesn't seem available for me), we can link images to the site. Here are some of the better pics from the show! The first one is (left->right), me, Trevor (Man-Sized Eldorado), Chris (CC) & Matt (SirMatticus). I asked someone to take the pic about 40 mins before the Hip went on (I headed to the beer tent for 1 last cold one before the show)

Hope you like them!

Last edited by srb on Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.