2006-06-23 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-06-23 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
craigd
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by craigd »

Where are the hipbasers meeting up before the show tonight ?
C
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Setlist, in order:

Rink
Fully
Twist
Gus
Poets
Fever
Heaven
ABAC
Gift
Gems
Fly
New O
Bob C
Fireworks
Escape
Grace
Music
-------
Lionized
Flamenco
Fire

Solid set, with great comments about being surrounded by the Gardner, protecting us from the lake, how Dalton is full of shit (re:nuclear power) and essentially how easy it would be to save the planet (without actually playing Save the Planet). More to follow when it's all said and done. Great to fleetingly meet some more folks tonight -- hopefully I can get there in good time for round two.

Cheers,

Pat
screw_ball
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by screw_ball »

Why have they stopped playing The Drop Off? I noticed that they haven't played it at the last two or three shows.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Solid show; I'd put it up there as one of the best performances I've ever seen from the band. But the crowd...oh, the crowd. I don't like to bitch about these sorts of things, since they're essentially beyond the band's control--but tonight's crowd was AWFUL. I won't get into a blow-by-blow account of what was going on around me, because I don't want to ruin the memory (seriously, the show was amazing), but I was actually stunned by how drunk, boorish and rough a lot of people were. It wasn't as bad as the crowd in Kingston two years ago, but it certainly gave it a run for its money. Again, I don't want this to diminish the overall experience--but it was pretty hard to ignore.

I'd imagine tomorrow night will be better, at least in terms of the crowd. In terms of the performance? It can't get much better than tonight. wOOt.

Steve
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

When was the last time that they didn't play Meridian in a full set????

Nick
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Guys, they played meridian and drop off in Belleville two nights ago. I don't know what you are missing but both songs, same show.

Setlist is already up. Thanks Pat.
Good show.
Not really a great show to tape though unfortunately. Lots (and I mean lots) of drunk, rude, push, egotistical people in that crowd. Not really sure if I want to go tomorrow. I mean, I want to go but I am sure that there are others that know what I mean.

Had a great time with Adrian, Steve, Chris Chris, Matt, James & Kerri (sorry if I spelt your name wrong) and got to chat a little with Mark, Dave and others. Nice to finally meet you Lofty!

Anyways, gotta go to bed. More tomorrow.

Cheers!
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Not really a great show to tape though unfortunately. Lots (and I mean lots) of drunk, rude, push, egotistical people in that crowd. Not really sure if I want to go tomorrow. I mean, I want to go but I am sure that there are others that know what I mean.
Hit the nail on the head there. As I was leaving tonight I turned to my friends and actually uttered the sentence, "I don't know if I wanna go tomorrow." I mean, of course I do--and I will--but tonight was probably the second-worst Hip audience I've been in (after Kingston). It just wasn't pleasant. But tomorrow should be better, what with the presale and all. Here's hoping, anyway.

Steve
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I meant to make the point that it has been a really really really long time since they have played a show without Meridian (this was show #18 for me, and the first where they didn't play it)... I know they played it at Belleville.

Where we were (about 1/2 way back on the left side if looking at the stage), there seemed to not be too many drunken idiots.

Nick
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Also just noticed that the main set (not including the encore), was the same as Pittsburgh except for the addition of Twist My Arm, and New Orleans instead of Meridian....

Nick
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

I have 2 questions for anybody who was there tonight.....
1) how many people would you guess were there tonight?
2) How early would you say I should get there tomorrow for a decent spot on the grass?

Thanks alot!
DisHarmony
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by DisHarmony »

I am happy that I was off in the gated VIP section. I don't think I could have handled that crowd very well. I knew when the weakerthans were on that it was going to be bad when the typical frat boys sauntered up and started yelling during the weakerthans set.

The show itself was good. I was suprised to get NOIS, and I had to laugh at the girls beside me that were going on about what HUGE hip fans they were and how much they loved them - they thought that Gems and Fire were new songs. Yup, you are obviously a huge fans.

Flamenco was amazing imo. After that song, a woman came up to me and asked the name of the song and which album it was on because she loved it so much (there were a lot of non fans in the VIP area, just like every concert, which tends to piss me off because I know there are people that are devoted fans that deserve to be there instead.) tonights show really helped to convert a lot of the people where I was into fans. The consensus where I was was that it was a great show, which it is every time!

*edit*
Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a spaz. Gord Sinclair came in to the VIP area and I nearly fainted. There was a full on jaw drop to the ground look on my face. I was smacking my cousin because I didn't know what to do and I was so excited to see him. By the time I got the nerve to go up and talk to him he was surrounded by people so I never got a chance. Its weird, I'm normally so loud and outgoing but I just couldn't get it together. Argh! :cry:
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

NWOntario wrote: "I don't know if I wanna go tomorrow." I mean, of course I do... But tomorrow should be better, what with the presale and all.
Steve
Good luck Saturday guys.
Most people had to work Friday and could not really pregame.
Saturday is a full day of sunny drinking before The Hip.
Good luck.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Great show. It was a treat to hear Lionized and Gems.

I was setup right by the VIP area and had no problems. No crazy drunks etc.

I did see Gord S. in the VIP area, and when he went by I said hello and shook his hand. I think he actually recognized me :)

Looking for another great show on Saturday.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Great reviews, everybody! Sorry to hear about all the drunken idiots. That seems to happen at most outdoor general admission shows, regardless of who the band is. Almost makes me wish they could put a ban on alcohol at these events.