2006-06-23 - Toronto, ON - Fort York

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

direwolf74 wrote:Great reviews, everybody! Sorry to hear about all the drunken idiots. That seems to happen at most outdoor general admission shows, regardless of who the band is. Almost makes me wish they could put a ban on alcohol at these events.
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. i'm goin' down today, and if it's 27, and sunny, guess what. warm weather, the lake, the hip= 6-8 beer minimum. they go together, like peas and carrots, jenny and forest, white and rice, and of course howdy doody and wooden balls! if i have to deal with drunks at a hipshow, it's really nothing new. wouldn't be the same without them!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Ry222 wrote:I have 2 questions for anybody who was there tonight.....
1) how many people would you guess were there tonight?
2) How early would you say I should get there tomorrow for a decent spot on the grass?

Thanks alot!
Answers:
1) A lot, mostly drunken. I'd guess about 5,000 but it's a hard space to get an overall view. It felt like I was at Edgefest.
2) The entire venue is on the grass... so I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to be close, and deal with the drunken mob, I'd say be there when the gates open. We drove by one of the parking lots at 4:00 and it was mostly full and people were partying/drinking/etc...

I'll collect my thoughts and post a review later...
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Flamenco and Heaven are two songs I would have loved to seen at Guelph Lake. My friend and I were just discussing how much more we like Heaven now then when it first came out, it is definately the most improved song for us.
d_alex_d
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by d_alex_d »

I have to say, with all the drunken-idiot talk, my experience crowd wise was actually really good. In Guelph we were about 10 ft. back in the middle and people werent really rude, but were always bumping in and trying to squeeze by. That was my girlfriends first show and she could barely see, so for this one she wanted to be right at the front.

So we set up shop right at the gate on Paul's side, and it was the most relaxed spot I had ever seen, no one bumped me once, we had room to move around. My girlfriend could see, so i didnt have to listen to her complain, lol. We ha a great time.

Gord came over to our side of the stage a lot and I can guarantee he looked at me and posed for my camera a few times. He was looking right at me, it was an amazing show for me.

The Weakerthans were amazing too!! Those booing fans pissed me off a bit too, but the band didnt seem to bothered by it, they put on a smile.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I agree compeletely with d_alex_d... we were on Paul's side (near the pathway) and it was great... I was thinking about how nice it was not have a bunch of drunk idiots around! Were those of you who had the bad experience on the other side of the field (ie. the side the beer tent was on?). If you were, maybe try the other side, we had no problems at all over there.

Nick
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

I don't have much to add... the band was great. Hearing a few more rarities was amazing!

As it's been said, the crowd sucked. As I drove home last night I had serious thoughts of not going tonight. But then I remembered how awesome it was when they played Gems/Lionized/Flemenco and those moments are what will bring me back tonight.

Matt
craigd
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by craigd »

Great show last night, the sound was amazing ! The band was tight and I think they are going to be so solid when they get to Europe that they will blow people away ! No drunks where BigA and I were but there was a wigged out chic who asked me to do a few weird things to her. I wonder what she was on.. Her name was Megan ...watch out for her tonight !! Glad to finally meet the hipbasers !! I'm thinking of going to London if someone can hook me up ! Have fun tonight and we'll see you guys in Stratford !
Last edited by craigd on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wynford
New Maybe
New Maybe

Fort York

Post by wynford »

What time would you say the Hip hit the stage?
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

I thought the show was great last night, a few good rants from Gord. I didn't encounter the same drunken crowd that a few have been complaining about. I was in the beer tent for a while and it was fine in there, and then I was about 150' back from the stage, in the center, and the crowd was good, and polite there too. In guelph I thought there were more idiots/a-holes, especially the morons who put their girlfriends ont heir shoulders. I know it's a nice thing for a guy to do for his girl, but it ruins the show for a lot of people.

It was great to meet some more hipbasers! The guy I was with thought it was weird that I walked up to "complete strangers" and introduced myself, I had a little trouble describing this little thing we call the Hipbase hahaha.
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Re: Fort York

Post by clearlyentranced »

wynford wrote:What time would you say the Hip hit the stage?
A few minutes after 9.

This was my first GA show. I was on the left side of the stage, about 4 rows back. I didn't enjoy it at all..who the hell crowd surfs at hip shows? THe people that hit me in the back of the head..thats who. People kept pushing and pushing to try to get closer, people came out of nowhere and tried to get past. The harder you tried to block them, the harder they pushed you out of the way.

Great job by the hip and the weakerthans though..Gord came out with so much energy, it was great.
cordelia
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cordelia »

can anyone let me know:
1. what time the weakerthans hit the stage?
2. were there crazy lineups to get beer?
3. could you bring the beer back to your spot on the lawn?

Thanks
nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

so what everyone is saying there wasn't mauch out of gord about "music lovers"? that's too bad. should be a good time for all who attend.
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

Thanks Chris, you answered my questions perefctly!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

cordelia wrote:can anyone let me know:
1. what time the weakerthans hit the stage?
2. were there crazy lineups to get beer?
3. could you bring the beer back to your spot on the lawn?

Thanks
Answers:

(1) I think the Weakerthans were on stage just shortly before 8pm. They played a good 40 minutes which kinda jives with the timeline I remember.

(2) It looked like there was a long lineup to get into the "beer tent" (which wasn't a tent at all but a sectioned off area). Then you could see in the distance another crazy lineup to actually get beer. We didn't brave it.

(3) You could only drink beer in the area designated. One guy walked out of the area and the security guard grabbed his beer and told the guy he had to go wait in line to get back into the beer tent and then he would give him his beer back. Kinda nice of the guy if you ask me. Of course the drunken idiot that tried to seek the beer out into the "main area" started yelling something about Nazis...whatever.

So after reading some more reviews, it looks like Chris, Matt and I just really picked a bad spot to be in last night. I don't think standing on the "beer tent" side was right for us. Will have to try the other side of the stage towards the VIP area this time. Hopefully that will make for a more enjoyable experience crowd wise.

Once again, I would like to stress that there were A LOT of positives last night. Great setlist, a few gems, and great sound! Not too loud and very very clear.

All in all, now that I am up this morning, I am excited to go back for more!

CHEERS!
lolabrigida
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by lolabrigida »

What time did the Hip hit the stage?