2006-06-18 - Guelph, ON - GRCA

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-06-18 - Guelph, ON - GRCA

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
macyme
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by macyme »

just got from the concert in guelph, good show, the hip played some really rare songs tonight, from what i can remember, gord opened by saying happy father's day and then the hip played don't wake daddy, they played last of the unpluked gems, lionized, eldorado, rules, are you ready, poets, abac, no fight, courage, 100th meridian, giftshop, good life if you don't weaken, my music at work, fire in the hole, nois, they played 3 new songs that sounded pretty good. there was around 5,000 people at the show.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Not really in this order except for the 1st and last song and the encore...but I think this covers everything (although it is off of the top of my exstatic head) :

Don't wake daddy
Courage
The Drop Off
Are you Ready
Ahead by a Century
Gift Shop
Try (or Fly as Gordie said)
Lionized
Last of the Unplucked Gems
No Threat
Its a good life if you don't weaken
100th Meridian
Poets
Music at Work
Elderado
Fire in the Hole

----

The Lonely End of the Rink
The Rules
New Orleans is Sinking

Amazing show, highlights were burning bras...Gordie knocking a guitar off its stand with the microphone pole (he was spinning it all night)....Elderado was absolutely amazing as was The Drop Off and No Threat, Rules was a wicked surprise so was Gems, all in all a 10 out of 10....

It was excellent to hear a set that was so diverse.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I am shitting brick.

the rules.

UNPLUCKED GEMS

EL-FUCKIN'-DORADO

I thought that I would die without the oppurtunity arising to ever see these live. Holy, I feel like I'm going to puke from excitement! (Not really, but you get the jist)
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Holy Crap! Where do I start?

The setlist was so incredible as they mixed it up quite a bit from what we were all used to on the 2004 tour. They played so many songs they don't normally play anymore and it all fit together so well! I couldn't believe they played The Rules, Are You Ready, Lionized......woah.

This was such a pleasant surprise as many of us here (hardcores I suppose) always complain that they play the same hits over and over and not enough rare classics, well tonight they shocked us all.

Also, Gord was on fire and was worth the price of admission alone!

Some random thoughts
- Johnny was back to his 2 tom setup but still minus the 2 left cymbals (he seems to have really developed since the last time, is much more creative)
- Bobby Baker had a sweet set of aviators on plus a cowboy hat to start the show
- Don't Wake Daddy was a perfect opener! I love how after a while so many songs that you're used to on CD become 100x better live!

Setlist as I can remember, in some order...
Daddy
Courage
Drop Off
Good Life
Are You Ready?
Poets
Gift Shop
ABAC
No Threat
Gems
Fly
Lionized
Eldorado
100th Meridian
Music
Fire in the Hole
Rink
The Rules
NOIS
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

drop off is an amaaazing song...

don't wake daddy, are you ready, no threat, lionized, eldorado, the rules....

unreal.

its great to see the hip rediscovering some tunes that haven't been played all that much in recent years.

only a few songs repeated from last night which was great.

the boys are in fine form and if last night and tonight were examples of things to come then this little 'spring fling' will a real treat for big time hip fans... these 2 shows were my 18th and 19th and i only heard a handful of songs that i was expecting to hear which made the shows great and memorable.
Last edited by borgs on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Another great part of this show was the awesome crowd with minimal problems...there was one fight that broke out during "Try" and security whipped one of the guys out of the crowd quickly. Other then that and the occasional over zealous tweaker pushing people about...it was a nice crowd to be in.

The Courage sing along was great!

oh. and of course, LETS GO OILERS!
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

Oiler? I hardly know her... (even gord seemed to get a kick out of hearing himself say that line.)
Last edited by borgs on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Great reviews, everybody! It's cool to see them mixing up the setlist and throwing in some rarities. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Weakerthans yet. Those guys are quite possibly the best opening act the Hip could hope for (next to Sam Roberts of course). How were they?? Did they play any new stuff?
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

I was pretty much bored with the weakerthans. I thought Buck 65 was surprisingly pretty entertaining, especially his friend.

Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/39314763@N ... 170298526/
screw_ball
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by screw_ball »

sean.bonner wrote:I am shitting brick.

the rules.

UNPLUCKED GEMS

EL-FUCKIN'-DORADO

I thought that I would die without the oppurtunity arising to ever see these live. Holy, I feel like I'm going to puke from excitement! (Not really, but you get the jist)
...and for this I hope someone taped it. Real bad.
Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be, it's happened before), the band mixed things up quite a bit during their U.S. swing last album before settling into the more traditional set.

All the more reason to see them during the fling, I think. I'd be very surprised if they kept it up during the usual coast-to-coast tour.

And Buck 65 being entertaining wouldn't surprise me. That guy's great.

Cheers,
John
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Do they have the guitar that Rob used to play sitting down (I forget what it's called)? If not, maybe that's why they're not playing Scar...

So I think the only constants through all the shows so far have been Rink, Drop-Off, and Meridian...

Who would have thought we'd go 2 shows without hearing Fully or Grace, and 4 without Little Bones!

At Fort York they could play entirely different songs each night the way this is going!

Nick
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

GREAT SHOW and a great way to cap off the trifecta of hip shows.

Brendan (the wheat king) and Brian1175 and his wife Cheryl came by my place in the afternoon. We watched a little hip on the television and bbq'ed before the show. We headed over to the venue around 5:00pm and got there around 6pm. We parked in this big open field where they had rows A through R set up for parking. I think we saw 5 tail gaters in the whole field; nothing at all like what we saw in Artpark. By the time we parked and made our way down to the stage, it took us about 25 minutes. I'm not sure why they made us pay $10.00 to park and then walk 10,000 miles to the stage. Well anyways, we got there and the set up was pretty good. They had 2 food tents and a couple places set up for beer, tons of johnny on the spots and a couple merch booths. They had a couple pretty cool hip shirts. One was red and the other green and it said THE TRAGICALLY HIP vertically in big bold letters on one side. Another shirt was navy with nothing on the back and just The Tragically Hip on the front with a bunch of squiggles n' shit, looked pretty cool actually.

Didn't really see Buck 65 but he sounded pretty weird. Not my thing. The Weakerthans were pretty good. I didn't really know much of their stuff but the guys voice is pretty good and I think the tunes could grow on me much like Plaskett's did.

Hip came on stage at 8:00pm and opened with Daddy again; somewhat of a father's day opener. I think there were 6 songs played that weren't played in Pittsburgh or Artpark: (Lionized, Eldorado, Good Life, The Rules, NOIS, Are You Ready). Very awesome mix up of songs.

Jen2 from hipbase also met up with us just before the show. Too bad we never got to meet up Adam, Chris and Shannon. Was really looking forward to seeing you guys. It was pretty tough to find hipbasers. The only other hipbase shirt I saw was Farmerdan's about 3/4's of the way through the show. It was nice of you to stop by during the show to say hi Dan. Good to see you!!!

Only 1 encore again tonight but that's ok. During the encore break I predicted, The Rules, Rink and Verge. I shit myself when Rink was played; damn I'm good on predicting these things. Jen laughed when I mentioned the Rules and when they broke out into it after Rink, I nearly died of laughter. What were the chances they'd play that. If Verge was next, you'd think I knew the setlist before the show started. New Orleans capped off the night.

It took us about 40 minutes to walk back to the car. There was no point in even trying to leave with about 3000 cars all leaving at the same time. We cranked up That Night in Toronto and sat on the grass and drank a couple pops. A couple guys stopped by. They were wandering around looking for people with beers. We just so happened to have a couple. Their ride split on them and they had to find there way back to Kitchener. Good luck, lol.

Well nonetheless, we waited about an hour until the traffic died down. We got out of the venue and just followed the crowd back to the highway. Well we got lost driving around Guelph but we finally made it back to Oakville in about an hour. Brendan, I still can't get over how you've memorized the order of that Night in Toronto and know every word and improvisation Gord says; truely hardcore.

That's it for me. Great to meet all the hipbasers this weekend. 2 days until Belleville!

Jamie
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

You guys have done a good job of getting the details down so i'll just say it was a great show, good mix of songs (in comparison to the last show or two that i've been to). Kind of a shorter set than i would have liked but i'm not complaining. It was cool to see some hipbasers there, as i didnt see any shirts until nearing the end, sorry we couldnt have talked longer, but the show was needing my undivided attention.

The 24th cant come soon enough!!
screw_ball wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:I am shitting brick.

the rules.

UNPLUCKED GEMS

EL-FUCKIN'-DORADO

...and for this I hope someone taped it. Real bad.
i think i saw one or two people taping......fingers crossed