2006-06-18 - Guelph, ON - GRCA

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

ah Guelph,
What a great show, had one person ditch my group before we even hit the road, so we sold it to a lady for less then face, thought that was pretty wonderful of us lol, anyways, great shows really nice to hear rules and lionized. I caught the soundcheck from across the lake heard them warming up with lionized thought that was cool. the new tune try (fly?) was pretty sweet. nice rant by Gord before Fire something to the effect of "This is a bra (holds bra up) imagine a world were you werent free to burn your own bra!? were others burned it for you! They quite boldly and indiscriminatley walked up and burned your bra for you, but you werent allowed to burn your own bra! You know what thats called!? FASCISM!" (throws bra into crowd as Fire kicks off). had a great night camping over, wasnt so nice to have to get up at 5:50 in the morning to catch a taxi then a bus back to oshawa for exams that afternoon lol, but it was worth it. only downfall of the night was we were about 10 feet from the stage and some drunken british asshole bumped into my girlfriend so i turned around when she squeezed my arm and there were about three guys holding his arm back as he was posing to whack me one in the back of the head. I gave a quick look to my buddy and then we let him through and he (drunk ass) turned around grabbed my face and yelled something incoherent at me. thats when my girlfriend decided it was probly time to move back a bit, so we moved back to the relative safety of 15 or 20 feet, and she could see the show better and we were out of the crowd surfing (i thought that died out in the 90's, god damn). oh well the campfire back at the camp, the show, soundcheck and the long but hilarious busride home more then made up for it. anyways, great set, very surprised not to see Grace at all, not dissapointed in the least though, lot of rare songs and a lot of beauties that ive always wanted to hear, everyone have a good time in bellville and Fort York (kinda jealous though). later, better get back to studiying for my Chemistry exam
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

some crummy video shot by wozman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFUPot3ZPtE

and some pics he took: http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/swasyl ... FB49Ww1Y9F

i'm the one with the tats and the knights hat!!!
hosh
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by hosh »

I've been sitting back reading the reviews for a few days now, trying to convince myself I was not disappointed by the show Sunday night, but it ain't flying. The venue was perfect, the weather very nice (the rain cooled me and the grey elephant rant it brought out was vintage Gordie), the boys sounded tight, and the setlist was just what you'd want from a band you'd seen so many times (I'm estimating 22 times since 1993). My disappointment stems from the short time on stage. 1.5 hrs including encore is just too short for a band with this kind of back catalogue.
I think they could have played the same number of songs, but jammed a few out. The end of The Rules and the traditional 100th Meridian jam jump to mind where the set could have been lengthened.
While we were setting up our tent we also heard Thompson Girl during the sound check which would have been a welcome addition to the set. I think they may have been planning a second encore, but the crowd was so quiet (small crowd may have given the illusion) they prolly said "Screw it'

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this off my mind in contrast to the love in over the setlist.

On a more positive note, I loved the shout out to the Hillside festival crowd with the burning bras rant.
hosh
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by hosh »

[quote="mojo_mattv"]ah Guelph,
she could see the show better and we were out of the crowd surfing (i thought that died out in the 90's, god damn).

"Croud surfing went out with Acid wash. Crowd surfing went out with "Don't go there"." - Gord Downie
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

hosh wrote:I've been sitting back reading the reviews for a few days now, trying to convince myself I was not disappointed by the show Sunday night, but it ain't flying. The venue was perfect, the weather very nice (the rain cooled me and the grey elephant rant it brought out was vintage Gordie), the boys sounded tight, and the setlist was just what you'd want from a band you'd seen so many times (I'm estimating 22 times since 1993). My disappointment stems from the short time on stage. 1.5 hrs including encore is just too short for a band with this kind of back catalogue.
I think they could have played the same number of songs, but jammed a few out. The end of The Rules and the traditional 100th Meridian jam jump to mind where the set could have been lengthened.
While we were setting up our tent we also heard Thompson Girl during the sound check which would have been a welcome addition to the set. I think they may have been planning a second encore, but the crowd was so quiet (small crowd may have given the illusion) they prolly said "Screw it'

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this off my mind in contrast to the love in over the setlist.
Outdoor shows are always shorter. I've seen the boys at many different festivals/outdoor venues over the years, and I can't remember a set that actually went longer than 90 minutes. I'm guessing this probably has something to do with noise by-laws, etc... You think 1.5 hours is too short? We only got 8 songs at Sasquatch. But the boys came out and blasted through their set like it was the last show they were ever gonna play. They blew everybody's socks off, and it was amazing. Long set or short set, it doesn't matter to me. It's the HIP!
Bosman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Bosman »

hosh wrote:I think they may have been planning a second encore, but the crowd was so quiet (small crowd may have given the illusion) they prolly said "Screw it'
I was expecting a second encore, but the roadies started dismantling the stage before they had even stepped off it. I knew right away they weren't coming back... so I just stopped cheering.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

i checked out the schedule at the soundboard as we were coming in, and it clearly listed the hip as playing 8-9:30...so no, it wasn't cause we were too quiet or anything, that's just how long they were gonna play....the night before in lewiston was only 90 mins too....but the set was killer, gord barely played any guitar (thank you!!!! it just doesn't add much to their sound, and makes the visual aspect of their show much less interesting!)...just a little fyi!
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

What could they have possibly done in a second encore?

They closed the first encore with a firey version of New Orleans, everyone in the audience was wondering if they would play it, and they delivered.

You can't follow that with anything. no way.

2nd Encore's are for the ACC.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Cpt. Trips wrote:What could they have possibly done in a second encore?

They closed the first encore with a firey version of New Orleans, everyone in the audience was wondering if they would play it, and they delivered.

You can't follow that with anything. no way.

2nd Encore's are for the ACC.
And 3rd encores are for whatever concert I'm at.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

Cpt. Trips wrote:2nd Encore's are for the ACC.
or fort york :thumb:
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

farmerdan69 wrote:
Cpt. Trips wrote:2nd Encore's are for the ACC.
or fort york :thumb:

:thumb: :wink:
bowdy
New Maybe
New Maybe

My first night seeing the hip.

Post by bowdy »

At the age of 45, took me a while to see the Hip live at Guelph Lake Conservation Area. I actually, sold beer tickets to many of you that night...I worked as a volunteer (missed 15minutes of the hip and both the weakerthans and buck65).

The good part was being backstage and watching the majority of the hips set from inbehind the stage...which was open! After counting cash and having a beer, ran into Gord going over to the VIP area. I took off my hat, shook his hand and asked if he could stay and chat with me and my fellow beer salespeople.....he is very cool, kind and very thoughtful to all around him. He took off to the VIP area after spending 5 minutes with us all.

We followed, got into the VIP area, met the rest of the band.

I get what you all do, and have done for years.

They are part of being Canadian. They are wonderful representatives of our spirit worldwide. But most of all the are Canadians and proud of it.

Cheers :)
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Just posted this show: http://hipfans.com/?p=322
Bosman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Bosman »

Merci, Chris. :D
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I have audio and video from this show. I'll be completing the editing/synchronizing/authoring of the DVD this week.

While the tracker is down, let's kick it old school with a B&P/tree distribution.

I'll do two B&Ps on the agreement that each of them will do two more, and so on... I'll PM the first two responses to this post in this thread, and we'll go from there.