2006-06-18 - Guelph, ON - GRCA

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

sean.bonner wrote:I am shitting brick.

the rules.

UNPLUCKED GEMS

EL-FUCKIN'-DORADO
plus the rules and lionized?

I think scalper demand for fort york just went up.

I think we need to pinch ourselves!
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Great show, Great setlist. It was the closest I've ever been at a hip show. There were a few drunk morons and a dumb girl who threw a pair of glasses that hit Sinclair in the eye. Buck 65 was pretty good, cool to see a guy juggle some knives. I was shocked at how small the venue was, Cant wait till Belleville and then Fort York.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

Great Venue, very cool setlist, lots of standards not played!!! Very cool show, with Gordie on fire...Burning Bras and the big grey elephant rants were great, and the microphone/microphone stand kicked gord's ass last night!!! can't wait till saturday...FYI, I videotaped the show, but have never authored a dvd before, so I may need to request some help, or pass along the footage to someone more experienced...
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

jgardz wrote:Great Venue, very cool setlist, lots of standards not played!!! Very cool show, with Gordie on fire...Burning Bras and the big grey elephant rants were great, and the microphone/microphone stand kicked gord's ass last night!!! can't wait till saturday...FYI, I videotaped the show, but have never authored a dvd before, so I may need to request some help, or pass along the footage to someone more experienced...
thats awesome news
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

I agree with everything thats been said! It was a great show. I am really liking The Drop Off and Fly, not a huge fan of Rink. Was ecstatic to hear No Threat, and the Rules was just as good of a surprise.

Was looking for Hipbase shirts but didnt run into any unfortunately. Oh well, there will be more shows hahaha.

Great night!
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

What a great night. Buck 65 was quite entertaining, wasnt too sure what to expect but it was pretty good, joe( the guy who spazzed out in the beginning and juggled knives later on) was awesome. The weakerthans did not overly impress me. Don't hate them, but wouldnt go to my front lawn to see them play if they were there.

The Hip were fantastic, really on tonight, its good to see all these songs i wasnt expecting, Lionized, The Rules, eldorado, gems, even giftshop. simply amazing. Ya, the parking was alittle messed up. we saw bluesmantiny in the parking lot drinking some expensive warm beer. All in all, what aa great night
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

Just a little update...I saw at 3 video cameras going during the show...I was on Paul's side, someone was pretty much in the center, and I thought I saw a camera on Rockin' Rob's side (how cool did he look last night!!! I thought it was Rob Zombie!!!) So, I'll do my best to get my tape up and moving ASAP
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

As always I'm willing to edit and distribute any recordings that surface...
coldlakeswimmer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by coldlakeswimmer »

It was a great show. I couldn't see much 20 ft from the stage because the tallest guy there was in front of me (yeah you in the red shirt :wink: ). The concert went by TOO fast. It was over so quickly.

We met tons of cool people. The beer line-ups were rediculous. The after concert swim was very refreshing. Not too many Hip shows end with a dip in a lake. 8)

The set list was amazing.

Can't wait for Friday!
d_alex_d
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by d_alex_d »

Amazing show...thats all that can be said

No one has mentioned Gord's weird dance with the mic and cord, where he made them act like fishes or something, chasing each other or something. I thought it was hilarious, and have never seen or heard him do anything like that before. Anyone else know?

Anyways, great show, and I hope there is a recording out there somewhere

Can't wait for Friday!!
taitgr590
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by taitgr590 »

How about when Gordie put the mic in his pocket??? Looked like he was trying to say something through his pants into the mic.

The Drop Off and No Threat were HEAVY. I love it.

Awesome show.

Thanks again to chancellor, beanmedic, and emperor penguin.
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

coldlakeswimmer wrote:It was a great show. I couldn't see much 20 ft from the stage because the tallest guy there was in front of me (yeah you in the red shirt :wink: ). The concert went by TOO fast. It was over so quickly.

We met tons of cool people. The beer line-ups were rediculous. The after concert swim was very refreshing. Not too many Hip shows end with a dip in a lake. 8)

The set list was amazing.

Can't wait for Friday!
I think I was standing next to you.. hahaha that guy with the red shirt and the green hat and the water pack thing on his back??? Same dude??

I was wearing a shirt that said " ask your doctor is MIKOC is right for you? "

And a lack NIKE hat...
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

Wow, what a great weekend. 3 awesome shows, lots of songs I had never heard live before, and met a lot of great people.

Really happy I managed to find Jamie, Brian, Cheryl and Brendan just before the show began in Guelph as it was pretty hard to find anyone in that crowd. I am also really happy that the "big gray elephant" Gord was talking about pretty much left us alone! (In other words, we escaped most of the rain that was in the area.) Gord was extremely animated at all 3 shows, I don't recall him being that crazy at any of the shows I was at on the last tour. Loved the whole mic cord swimming to the mic bit. Can't wait to see videos from these shows!

And Jamie, I still can't believe you predicted The Rules. I would have guessed tons of other songs before guessing that one. I still think you have ESP! Either that or you have an in with Sinclair!

After hearing so many older and not often played songs this weekend I am seriously bummed that I didn't take the whole week off and go to Ft York and Belleview. As someone else mentioned in one thread, since they don't have a new album to promote right now they're free to delve into the vault a bit more than usual. I can't believe all the stuff they played off Fully Completely. It reminds me of when I saw Midnight Oil in late 2001. It was the same situation, no album to promote, and they played stuff I never ever thought I'd hear live. So I am insanely jealous of all you going to the upcoming shows - you are in for a treat. And if anyone has extra tickets, I'll figure out a way to get there. :lol:
coldlakeswimmer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by coldlakeswimmer »

crazykid I don't think the dude was wearing a hat, however all I can recall seeing was his back. :lol: Couldn't see up that high.

I was wearing an army green bikini, blonde hair, SHORT.

It reminds me of when I saw Midnight Oil in late 2001. It was the same situation, no album to promote, and they played stuff I never ever thought I'd hear live.
That was my first Hip show ever at ARSA in Markham! That was one fucking wicked show, all weekend, two amazing Hip shows. One non-stop party. The singer from Midnight Oil was so big (kind of like the guy in front of me in Guelph... ok I'll stop bitching now :lol: ), he had a huge stage presence and I recall he actually stopped the show because some hero was pushing everyone around. He centered him right out! This huge giant of a man singling out some idiot in the crowd and giving him a good talking too. Classic.

Damn those ARSA's were the best.

Sorry ~ edited to say those shows I was referring to were in 93 I believe.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

coldlakeswimmer wrote: That was my first Hip show ever at ARSA in Markham! That was one fucking wicked show, all weekend, two amazing Hip shows. One non-stop party. The singer from Midnight Oil was so big (kind of like the guy in front of me in Guelph... ok I'll stop bitching now :lol: ), he had a huge stage presence and I recall he actually stopped the show because some hero was pushing everyone around. He centered him right out! This huge giant of a man singling out some idiot in the crowd and giving him a good talking too. Classic.

Damn those ARSA's were the best.
The '93 ARA still ranks as one of the greatest concerts I've ever witnessed. The Oils were so freakin' good, I remember wondering how the Hip were gonna top them. But then the boys came out and blew everybody's minds, and there was no question who the headliners were. I remember reading an article around that time where Gord said that having to go on after Midnight Oil was like getting kicked in the ass, and it made them play better. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see the Oils on their farewell tour in 2001. It's too bad they called it quits, because their last album "Capricornia" was one of the best things they'd ever done. I miss those guys.