2006-06-16 - Pittsburgh, PA - Three Rivers Arts Festival

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

wow that setlist is incredible, i'm so pumped for next week
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

SHERPA!!!

I don't care if one of the Hipbase commandments is don't use all-caps. I'll take my lashes for this one.

20 more!

SHERPA!!!
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

That set has me pumped for tommorow, I would love to hear Gems or Escape.
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

It was an amazing concert. The new songs sounded absolutely killer live, and Fire in the Hole was an awesome closer.

There was a guy videotaping the whole thing, but I don't know what ended up happening with that. And Gord's big "I'm going to keep my nose clean/I'm going to Afghanistan/I'm comin' home soon" rant was at the end of "Grace, Too", if I remember correctly. (I may not, this was my first Hip show and I was just pretty much blown away start to finish!)

Also, they played Fever, Heaven, and Sherpa as part of the sound check about 2 hours before the show. It was cool to see them playing really-laid back with a couple dozen people around, then watch them do the same songs later with the crowd cheering and Gord's acrobatics.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Point State Park is located in downtown Pittsburgh. It is small and can be found where the "Three Rivers" meet. This gives the greenspace its pointed shape. On Friday, the park was bustling with people viewing the different displays of art. Downtown Pittsburgh was alive with workers commuting home and baseball fans making their way to the Pirates game.

At the Hilton hotel, in an outdoor bar across from the park, a group of nine Hipbasers met. Along with our friends who were Hip fans too, our group numbered close to twenty people. We had fun socializing and talking about The Hip before heading over to the concert area. The stage was set in the back of the park near the river walk. It was a small area that made it intimate and cozy. The crowd was a diverse group of fans. Two fans in wheelchairs were front row center. Behind them were three young families all with young children ranging in ages from 1 to 6 years old. Surrounding these people were hundreds of hardcore Hip fans. I was worried the families would be pushed around during the show, but everyone was very respectful. I would estimate that 1000 people attended this free show.

I was expecting a short set since this was a free Festival show. Instead I was pleasantly suprised with a full 19 song set from the hard working Hip. The set was an excellent mix of new songs, fan favorites and three rarities. The band appeared relaxed and in control. Gord D. was very enjoyable to watch as he flailed about the stage singing, dancing and acting out. Paul's smile beamed frequently as he played. Gord S. was bouncing to the beat of his bass in his own unique style. He was jamming with Johnnie who has streamlined his drum set. Johnnie played fiercely throughout the show. Robbie wore a pair of aviator glasses with a brown tint for the first half of the show. His solos were full of flair as he occasionally threw his long hair back and jammed out.

As I mentioned, Gord D. was very energetic and playful with the gathered fans. During Fully, Completely he pretended to drive a car while shifting gears. He screamed, "I'm too emotinal to drive". During Poets he had a good dorsal fin/swimming rant as he paddled the stage with his mikestand. Before Lake Fever Gord spoke of a tall ship anchored in the harbor flying a yellow flag. He said it meant stay away, quarantined --- as the band launched into the song. During the middle of the show Gord shouted, "This is a night like no other"! Everyone cheered in agreement. Near the end of the show Gord told the story of his fifth grade teacher who drove to school each day with the red canoe christened "Grace Too" lashed to the roof of his car. To end Grace Too, Gord made an emotional political statement. He ranted, "I'm your man! You man's coming home! Bring them home! END THE WAR! He grabbed his mikestand and held it to his shoulder like a rifle. He became a soldier dodging bullets and shooting back. The final minutes of the encore Gord was in the zone. He walked along the stage monitors as if balancing on a perilous ledge. He jumped down and had a battle with his mikestand. Then Gord danced in his crazy way until the song ended with him struting like a peacock/rooster across the stage.

Soon after the show ended, an excellent fireworks display took place from a barge in the river behind the stage. We gathered near The Hip's tour bus with quite a few other fans. All the band members came by and said hello to those who were there. Robbie and Gord D. signed autographs and took pictures with the fans. Gord was extremely patient and slightly overwhemled by the fans seeking to speak with him. He made sure to speak with the young fans who were in the front row during the show. Even though he appeared slightly tired, Gord did not leave until everyone got a minute with him.

I enjoyed this show for a number of reasons. First, because it was free. Second, because our Hipbase group watched the show together from the second row in front of Robbie. Finally, the set list was a great mixture of songs showing The Hip's diverse ability and talent. I couldn't have had a more enjoyable evening with my friends and The Hip.
skelty
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by skelty »

Hugh23 wrote:First, because it was free. Second, because our Hipbase group watched the show together from the second row in front of Robbie. Finally, the set list was a great mixture of songs showing The Hip's diverse ability and talent. I couldn't have had a more enjoyable evening with my friends and The Hip.
I second all of that. We must have been close to you, we were in front of Rob/Gord S., to the left of the guy with the camera.

I went to the show with my mom (she had the white hat on, if anyone saw her) and we had an absolute blast. The crowd was very respectful and obviously loved the Hip, what with all of the singing going on. The first time I saw the Hip was in Baltimore at the Recher in 2004 and this show totally obliterated that performance. The band looked as if they were thoroughly enjoying themselves. The new songs sounded great too; it was better hearing them in person.

And the tempo change in At The Hundredth Meridian was killer.

Afterwards, we hung around for a minute and met Paul around back and chatted for a minute.

All in all, it turned out to be a fantastic evening and I'm so glad I went, even if we had to deal with a 10 hour train ride. Absolutely worth it.

And as everyone else asked, did anyone record it? I took pictures and i'll post a link to them if anyone wants to see.

And Pittsburgh is such a lovely city! A beautiful setting for an amazing concert. It was absolutely "a night like no other".
senschic
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senschic »

Hugh23 wrote:
I enjoyed this show for a number of reasons. First, because it was free. Second, because our Hipbase group watched the show together from the second row in front of Robbie. Finally, the set list was a great mixture of songs showing The Hip's diverse ability and talent. I couldn't have had a more enjoyable evening with my friends and The Hip.
I agree 100% It was an overall great time!!!
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

skelty wrote:I went to the show with my mom (she had the white hat on, if anyone saw her) and we had an absolute blast. The crowd was very respectful and obviously loved the Hip, what with all of the singing going on.
We were right behind you and your mom. I remember her hat. :)
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

corduroy2121 wrote:Pittsburgh set:
Gift Shop
Last of the Unplucked Gems
Flying
100th Meridian
Bobcaygeon
Can anyone confirm if this is the same as Try or Fly?

Edit:
TheHip.com wrote: Date: Sunday June 16 2006
Venue: Three Rivers Arts Festival

Back
1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: Fully Completely
3: Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
4: Poets
5: Lake Fever
6: Heaven Is A Better Place Today
7: Ahead By A Century
8: Gift Shop
9: The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
10: Fly
11: At The Hundredth Meridian
12: Bobcaygeon
13: Fireworks
14: Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
15: Grace, Too
16: My Music At Work
17: The Drop Off
18: Sherpa
19: Fire In The Hole
I'm guessing Fly must be definitive title.
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

wow

Post by buffalorob »

In Friday's Buffalo News, Jeff Miers wrote "...every Hip show is different, every one magic in its own way, with the best of the bunch able to summon a rarified atmosphere where song, performance and listener fuse into a surreal, shared dream state."

Throw in the fantastic surroundings and summer night, and that was Pittsburgh last night. Had to be why they pulled out Sherpa. I'm still sayin' pinch me.
Can't wait 'til Saturday!
barny0055
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

burgh show

Post by barny0055 »

WOOOOOWOWOWOWOW
What a show. First time I hooked up with the Hipbasers at a Hip show and it was great. Thanks to all for the warm welcome and to the Hip fpr such a great show!!! Sherpa and the Last of the unplucked gems. What rarerities these days. Top that off with the great new tunes. The Hip were right when they said they are not done yet! I'm sure the best is yet to come!!!

Hugh I couldn't sgree more about what you said in your review! This was truely a great night to see the Hip!

Cheers
A

I don't post much but I read alot?!
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Just getting back from the Pittsburgh and Lewiston. Such a great time meeting and hanging out with everyone. I'm sooooooooooo freaking tired. Soooo worth the long drive and I even got the setlist in Pittsburgh. Can't wait to see the pictures Hugh and Melissa.

Take care and see you all again soon.

Gotta get to bed to rest for Guelph tomorrow.

I still can't believe they played Chagrin Falls and Wherewithal in Lewiston tonight!
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

sean.bonner wrote:I have gone on record as saying that I think that Gems is my favourite live Hip song (even though I've never witnessed it first hand).
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. It is a great tune, but best live song surprises me. It was great when I saw them in Walkerton with Gems turning into Dire Wolf!

I am so pumped for tonigths show in Guelph, hoping for Vac Scar, No Threat, and no NOIS. hopefully Sinclair will sprinkle some sweet rareities for us!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

It just gets so intense sometimes, and it usually steals the show on several bootlegs for me. Even I'm not 100% sure if its my favourite live cut, but I've been listening to it alot lately, and seeing it incorporated into a live set in the present is overly exhilirating for me! Bring on Charlottetown!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

In one of the recent threads about the new songs that The Hip are now playing in concert, another Hipbaser wrote about the line in "Fly" where Gord sings about "Moonbeam, Ontario". This Hipbaser thought Gord was singing the word Ontario in the same manner as the old travelogue commerical from the 70's which encouraged people to visit the province. The commercial would show numerous places to visit while a female in the background would sing a catchy jingle. It would end with the singer streching out the word Ontari-ari-ari-oooooooooo. I agreed with the Hipbase poster that Gord may have been inspired by this old commercial.

After the Pittsburgh show my wife WheatQueen(Carolyn) was lucky enough to speak with Gord for a moment. She asked him if the Moonbeam line was inspired by the old commercial. Gord said it was and then proceeded to sing the old jingle to her.
:)