2006-05-27 - George, WA - The Gorge

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

glad Sarah & Adrian confirmed the experience - my review is how I saw it

great to read what Dana took from it - trust me when I say that he's likely read hundreds if not more than a thousand reviews. he's old school and it means more than i could type here

hey Adrian - i notice the change. i guess retirement won out in the end, eh?
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I was going for 'I am not a nugget', but you know :)
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

that's probably better

'i want some camels' doesn't conjure up any memorable images - lol
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

bigA wrote:I was going for 'I am not a nugget', but you know :)
TLB wrote:that's probably better

'i want some camels' doesn't conjure up any memorable images - lol
both of you crack me up...
i will never forget either of those lines let alone the images!!!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just back from Sasquatch, and I gotta agree with everybody here. That was by far the best Hip performance I've ever witnessed. It was a little short, but the energy was unbelievable, and I loved how Gord worked in all those hilarious rants about the weather (the intro to Nautical was absolutely brilliant). The new songs sounded amazing, and if the rest of the new album is as good as those three songs, then I think we may have another classic on our hands. I can't wait! My friends and I ended up hanging out all day with an American group from Seattle that we met in line while waiting to get into the grounds. They were all new to the Hip, and the reviews were varied. One couple thought they were incredible, one dude thought they were ok, while another girl in their group didn't like them at all. Different strokes for different folks I guess. She was mainly there to see the Shins, who I thought were pretty awful, so there ya go. In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

As for the hail storm, that was easily one of the strangest things I've ever experienced. I got a sunburn AND froze my ass off all in the same day! Like many of you, my sister and I were down in front of the stage watching Neko Case when the shit went down. It was crazy. Everybody started running in all directions looking for whatever shelter they could find. We ended up making a b-line for the porta potties and hid inside them for a good 10 minutes or so. It was totally nuts. None of us brought a change of clothes, so we were all soaking wet and cold for the remainder of the show, but we toughed it out and stayed until after Ben Harper's amazing set.

I'll never forget it. What an incredible day!
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

direwolf74 wrote:We ended up making a b-line for the porta potties and hid inside them for a good 10 minutes or so. It was totally nuts. None of us brought a change of clothes, so we were all soaking wet and cold for the remainder of the show, but we toughed it out and stayed until after Ben Harper's amazing set.
That's hysterical - after the hip were done - we were all joking about how that's what we all should have done --- running and hiding in the porta potties. We just thought it was going to pass quickly and hence didn't go there.

Kudos to you for staying for the entire show. We stayed long enough to watch the Shins play (in my opinion - they sucked!) and took off to being so cold. I wasn't heart broken about missing Ben as I've seen him there before & know how great he is. I was bummed to miss the Flaming Lips --- but I was frozen to the core. It was truly the most unusual & the greatest Gorge experience. I'm sorry we all missed each other- it sounds like we were so close. Tony, Adrian, and I were by the soundboard during the storm. Cheers & great review!
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

PortlandCarbo wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:We ended up making a b-line for the porta potties and hid inside them for a good 10 minutes or so. It was totally nuts. None of us brought a change of clothes, so we were all soaking wet and cold for the remainder of the show, but we toughed it out and stayed until after Ben Harper's amazing set.
That's hysterical - after the hip were done - we were all joking about how that's what we all should have done --- running and hiding in the porta potties. We just thought it was going to pass quickly and hence didn't go there.

Kudos to you for staying for the entire show. We stayed long enough to watch the Shins play (in my opinion - they sucked!) and took off to being so cold. I wasn't heart broken about missing Ben as I've seen him there before & know how great he is. I was bummed to miss the Flaming Lips --- but I was frozen to the core. It was truly the most unusual & the greatest Gorge experience. I'm sorry we all missed each other- it sounds like we were so close. Tony, Adrian, and I were by the soundboard during the storm. Cheers & great review!

I was on my way to visit TLB and Adrian and was probably about 100 feet from them, when I looked up at the sky and decided that because I had all my camera gear, I couldn't get caught out in the - what I thought was going to be one big ass rain dump - so I bailed (thankfully) to go get my stuff put away. Luckily, I got it put away with about five minutes to spare, then all hell broke loose.

Anyway, I just thought you guys would like to see, "The lonely End of the Rink"

You'll need IE: http://music.msn.com/music/sasquatch/musicvids

Click on Playlists then find the Hip
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

hey mav, thanks, but i cant seem to find the vid...please help
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

farmerdan69 wrote:hey mav, thanks, but i cant seem to find the vid...please help
me too!
thanks MAv, :wink:
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

ya, same here, been trying for 20 mins,
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

it's not there
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I had the same problems, click on play for one of the other vids, then it takes you into the video section.

Then the Hip should be there. Not a very well done site, and this is M$.

Video is great, thanks MAv!
Last edited by bigA on Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

thanx for the helping hand, bigA.
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

Love the video MAv! Thank you SOOO much!
Last edited by PortlandCarbo on Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

Man, why does Microsoft have to be streaming this? There's no reasons streaming video requires a PC using IE and the latest version of their crap Windows Media Player. But that's Microsoft for you. Is anyone able to record the video off the stream or rip the audio at least?