2006-05-27 - George, WA - The Gorge

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-05-27 - George, WA - The Gorge

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

Amazing, amazing show! Definitely one to remember, that's for sure. There were huge amounts of fans present & supporting!

They played 3 of their new songs - fantastic!!! I can't wait for the new CD. As for the set list - I'll let Tony fill you in on that. Suffice it to say though - there was a bit of weather drama. One hour to the Hip coming on - there was this freakish hail storm - here BigA, TLB, and I were standing on the main floor and down it started coming. Mind you there was sun out just seconds before - but the hail just kept getting bigger and bigger - it was brutal. Anyway, once it passed (and it took awhile)...the guys came out and blew the crowd away. Off the top of my head and in no particular order - they played 3 of their new songs + - poets, grace, fully, nautical, courage...I feel like I'm forgetting one, but you all get the picture. They were so in their element & I'm so excited for the tour. Gord was so energized and the crowd just ate it up. GOD, what a day!

To all the Hip fans I met & there were TONS...I told them all about the base & hopefully they'll stop by for a visit. Lance, while I'm here rambling on --- thanks again for this site. And to everyone else, see you in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the tour this fall!
Cheers...

PS: Tony & Adrian, I hope you made it home safe! --- It's hard to imagine you both driving back to BC right now. Hope you've warmed up ---- that was crazy! ;-)
Last edited by PortlandCarbo on Sun May 28, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

PortlandCarbo wrote:Amazing, amazing show! Definitely one to remember - that's for sure. There were huge amounts of fans present & supporting!

They played 3 of their new songs - fantastic!!! I can't wait for the new CD.
Would you happen to know if they were the same three songs that were played at the Commodore last night? If so, then they must be some early favourites of the band's new material. If not, then it looks like they are testing out all of their finalized tracks on the upcoming CD. Excellent review, thanks for the quick post!
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

Yep, that's what Tony and A said. They were amazing songs!
Last edited by PortlandCarbo on Sun May 28, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

Grace, Too
The Lonely End Of The Rink
Nautical Disaster
The Drop-Off
Courage
Try
Fully Completely
Poets

3 shows in 3 days including a 15-hour journey today - I'm off to bed until Tuesday
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

TLB wrote: 3 shows in 3 days including a 15-hour journey today - I'm off to bed until Tuesday
Atta Boy, Whata Trooper, Live the dream buddy :thumb: :thumb:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
dewmercer
New Maybe
New Maybe

He's a bit of a Spaz though

Post by dewmercer »

FANTASTIC show!!! Gord was in prime form ranting and strutting all over the stage. He got upset with his mic stand which he said was trying to take over the show and steal credit for the content. I gotta get a copy of the vid from my friends at MSN Video.

Anyway, after the show I asked a couple of yanks what they thought, this being their first exposure to The Hip. Their response: thumb up with the qualifier - "He's a bit of a spaz though" followed by a "He's hot!!!". Classic, that was my impression in 86 when I first saw them.

Glad I survived the hail. It was worse that can be described here but worth every minute and then some.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Re: He's a bit of a Spaz though

Post by MAverick »

dewmercer wrote: Glad I survived the hail. It was worse that can be described here but worth every minute and then some.
That was one of the craziest bits of mother nature I have seen! WOW!

I just got back and will be posting the goods over the next little bit.

MAv.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

'Gord talking about the hail storm, during the intro to Nautical.

'It could not really be considered a Nautical Disaster, but there was lots of water and terror'
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

'that was the most hail I've ever seen....and you just stood there in the hail....'

Some would say that 1995's Saturday Night Live broadcast was The Hip's finest hour. Others insist it was easily Woodstock 99 from Rome, New York.

I've seen shows on both sides of the border, initmate club dates, various soundchecks, awesome theatre performances, large arena gigs, a concert on a wooden pier, shows in my hometown, and screamed from rooftops alongside thousands. Yesterday's short 8-song set in Washington was far and away The Tragically Hip's finest hour - I was convinced of this not three minutes into 'Grace, Too'.

Many will quickly deny my assertion and list other important dates in Hipstory. Yes, I haven't attended those performances and I'm forgetting the praise they may deserve. In the same breath, many weren't there yesterday and for those I consider my closest commrades in Hip-land, I am lamenting the fact you weren't. A day later I'm still speechless, concentrating on retaining as many memories as possible. This was my 27th show - I've never been this amazed by this band.

Saturday May 27, 2006 at The Gorge Amphitheatre was this band's finest hour and I'll maintain that until I leave this life - if a better show happens, I pray the Good Lord keeps me around to see it.

Arriving a couple hours in advance, the sun was almost unbearable as Iron & Wine played on the main stage. After going to the floor for a better view, Neko Case started their set - The Boys were less than an hour away. If you look at this photo, the sky was blue and wide-open.

During Neko's second song, rain started to fall - we thought it would soon pass and kept our place in front of the soundboard. Then it happened - absolutely the worst hailstorm I've ever seen or been stuck in. I grew up with 15 feet of snow every winter and -40 degree walks to school, but I've never seen hail like this. For 15 minutes, hail as big as dimes pelted our backs, our ears, and our eyes. The stage looked like a set from a Christmas movie. Festival crew used brooms, shovels, and sticks with towels taped on the end to clean off the stage. Roadies scurried around, covering the gear, removing amps & their wiring while most of the performers retreated to their trailers. Billy Ray was ahead of the game and spent some time filming the crowds below that huddled under blankets & tarps. The intoxicated took it in stride and made their own fun. Some tried hiding under the soundboard but had to leave quickly. The prepared rode it all out. Sarah, Adrian & I found a Hipster with a tarp for protection after getting bombarded initially - Adrian later compared the force of the hail to being hit with a BB-gun. I didn't disagree at all. This photo shows the six-inch piles of hail that formed on top of the Cliffhouse concession stand.

For safety's sake, Neko's set was scapped and after close to 90 minutes, The Hip took center stage and blew everybody's socks off. It was a given that Gord would likely rant endlessly about the weather and the day, which he did. The sound was top-notch and The Boys were as 'on' as I've ever heard or seen.

New & old fans walked away fully & completely impressed. For all the promotion stints down south over the years and all the performances, The Hip made as much headway with this show capturing new fans, if not the most headway yet. Comments from attendees as we walked away from the stage started at positive and topped out at visible awe, like a revelation hit them in the head. It was very satisfying to this Hipster in particular.

Gord dedicated the set to Neko Case as he walked off the stage. Ben Harper finished the night with a late two-hour set. Lots were there to see The Shins & The Flaming Lips.

I can safely say that the talk of the day on everyboy's lips was two-fold - the hailstorm & The Tragically Hip. I'll never forget this show. I can almost say my love with this band is 'complete'.
screw_ball
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by screw_ball »

Just wondering, did you record it? Because I'd love to hear it.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Wow Tony.
That is one of the best "reviews" of a Hip show I have ever read.
It almost sent shivers up my spine and I am 1000's of miles away.
This is turning into one hell of a promotional/working it out/summer tour yet.
If they are this good in the promotional stages of the "welcome back The Hip" tour - when the album drops it is going to be crazy.
It sounds like Woodstock all over again - which I agree with the coordinator - The Hip are what it is all about.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

screw_ball wrote:Just wondering, did you record it? Because I'd love to hear it.
BC of the MSN video stream and it being a festival with so many bands - no recording devices were allowed. Sorry all. Truly the best 8 song set I've ever seen!

LOL, I will NEVER forget huddling in between Adrian and Tony while we were getting pelted with hail. LOL...it hurt like hell and we got soaked in the process. By the time I got home - 7 hours later - my clothes were still completely soaked. I've never been sooooo cold! Good times for sure!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Great review TLB!

I know you were scripting those words in your mind on the long drive back, it kept you going after the 3 long days of following Sam and the Hip. You have taken our experience and wrapped it up well!

Cheers!!!
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

I'm sure words couldn't do their performance justice, but that's about as close you can come in words, i think, TLB. I'm sad i missed it, but for all those who got to see it, i hope you all took away from it what Tony did.