2006-05-27 - George, WA - The Gorge

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

I'm thoroughly impressed with all of your photos, MAv. Can't wait to see some more.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I find them all phenomenal too. A lot of them I would even consider "Poster Worthy"! :thumb: :thumb: Amazing eye, MAv! You definetly have a talent. Did you have prior jobs in photography?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

sean.bonner wrote:I find them all phenomenal too. A lot of them I would even consider "Poster Worthy"! :thumb: :thumb: Amazing eye, MAv! You definetly have a talent. Did you have prior jobs in photography?
No, I've always liked to take pictures and I startd WAY back in grade 8 and learned to develop Black and White film and prints. I did that for a long time and then stopped. I started taking photos again about two years ago. I on;y shoot digital now, though that might change one day - I'd only consider shooting film in B&W though.

I'm going to do some test prints of some of these shots and see how they turn out. Won't get to it for a bit as I'll have to make time to get them printed properly.

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated!

MAv.
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

Corby wrote:I'm thoroughly impressed with all of your photos, MAv. Can't wait to see some more.
MAv, you have single handedly helped me make it to the Fall Tour. All the photos - everything. Thanks...

I'm in heaven! Amazing pictures!
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Wow that video was hard to find, but good. That song doesn't sound like the Hip to me at all, but I guess it'll grow on me like many new songs usually do.

Also, the way Johnny played that song seems totally different than the style he plays on most other tunes, plus his drumkit has shrunk quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see how he's evolved on this album.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

MAverick wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:MAv,
is it you who is snapping those absolutely creamtastic pictures? Or are you simply posting somebody elses pics?
AND
what kind of camera gear do you/the person use?
AND
do you go on tour with das Hip? Or is it just select concerts?
Ah, why thank you. I have taken every single shot that I have ever posted here or on www.thehip.com, unless there is a photo credit. I'm glad you like them. I'll be posting more --> just posted some more to flickr you might want to check them out.

I'm currently using a Digital Rebel XT and I have a few lenses that I use, a couple of wide angle lenses which are my favorite and a pretty decent zoom (70- 300). I use all canon lenses and shoot from 1/15 to about 1/125 if I can. Most of the Friday night shots were shot at 1600. I did tweak them a little bit, but mostly cause I couldn't sleep last night. I think I over - tweaked the sasquatch photos, so I am going to revisit them.

I shoot in raw, so the originals are abut 10 mb.

I am not "Going on Tour" as they say, but I will be at as many shows as I can get to. I did ride the bus this weekend from Vancouver to the Gorge and back. A first for me and one day in the future I'll write about the weekend . . . it was a good time, I learned a lot and saw some fantastic music performed.
I am pretty sure MAv you have my dream job!
Looking for an assistant by any chance :D

Despite all the criticisms of the XT being called a "Granpa's Camera" I must say the product that comes out of it is very nice! I always shoot in RAW too and anyone that has the chance should sincerely consider moving to it from JPEG.

All that being said, MAv you have a great eye and a talent for capturing the moment. Thanks for sharing!
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

Ooooo that vid, those pics!!!! Cant wait for Lewiston! :jump
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote: I always shoot in RAW too !
Knowing absolutely nothing about photography you can imagine what I was thinking when I read this....spare me the explanation, I know what you're up to, you crazy photogs!!!
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Hey MAv, were you the guy in the beige hat who ran out and took a photo of the crowd?

I attended all three days at the Gorge this weekend, and had a freaking blast. I missed more music than I thought, due to stupid in and out rules from the campground, I ended up hanging out with our new friends we met at the campground and lots of beverages.

We did take in part of Bauhaus in Friday, I was never really into them, they were a warm up to NIN, who were amazing as always. Less of a lightshow due to the festival I guess, but still blew me away. Highlight was a cover of Queens Get down, Make love...very cool. I heard that Wolfmother and Trail of dead were good as well.

Saturday we just waited for the weather and drank and drank and drank., so we missed Nico Case and a few others we wanted to check out. Got there about an hour before the Hip played, so I just stood high fiving guys(my Hip Jersey always attracts attention) waiting for the boys. Any boy did they ever rock. I was surprised that they did so many new tunes, but they were all amazing, I think I liked drop off the best. A lot of Mic stand wrestling and constant Gordspeak made it unforgettable. I get the feeling the show was supposed to be longer, but the hip were told to shorten it up for...

The Shins. Who are these guys? Why are they so high up on a line-up like this? I really wasn't a fan.

Then, on to Ben Harper. Man, this guy can do it all. His band is tight, his music is amazing, his song writing is second to none. He brought out the new stuff, played some heavier and more popular songs, then slowed it down and had 20000 people completely silent and eating it out of his hand.
Oh, and he also ruined a couple of CD versions of songs for me by blowing them out live.
Flaming Lips: I was cold and hungover and went back to the campsite, but I heard they put on a good show.

Sunday, Soooo much sun my everyone there got sunburnt. We again drank lots at the campsite, and had headed to the grounds for about 2 or so and saw...
Ben Lee, he was ok, an acoustic set of sort of mindless pop songs with lots of repition, I heard that's just his thing, he was ok, we then stuck around for We Are Scientists. They sound very much like Frans Ferdinand, they could be the same band really. I felt a really cool vibe calling me from the main stage and checked out Matisyahu. These guys were amazing. A great Reggae set front to back, made me forget about the terrible camping, bad bands and again love my surroundings. My favourite discovery of the weekend, and priming me for...
Queens of the Stone Age. Man, these guys can do no wrong in my eyes. Most of the material was from the past two albums, 4 straight from Songs for the Deaf to start the set really got things moving. I was really close to the stage and my sandled feet didn’t get stomped, amazing.
Following these guys, Death cab doe Cutie. HUH? Better than the shins but they said it best…Man, it’s tough to follow the Queens….it sure is buddy, I have no idea what makes these guys different enough to be famous, but they were pretty bland.
Finally, Beck finished off the festival. He was pretty damned good, I sat up the hill for this one, and his stage show was really cool. A lot of his newer stuff has a cool latino edge to it, with some cool hip hop beats, and he had marionettes mimicking all his and his bands actions. You have to see it to believe it.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

aaronck wrote:Hey MAv, were you the guy in the beige hat who ran out and took a photo of the crowd?

No, I had a black hat on. For the first TTH song I was on stage, then ran into the photo pit and stayed there the entire show taking pictures.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Videos:

The Rink
The Drop-off
Try

Intro
Nautical Disaster Outro

The Rink mp3 (ripped from MSN video, upped the volume)

Suffice to say, I enjoyed the set thoroughly. Shame they lost about 15 minutes due to the disaster, but they were in fine form regardless. PS: excuse the shakiness, I couldn't help but rock out!
Last edited by daylight on Tue May 30, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

"Try" to me is an upbeat-uptempo "Chancellor". Just the notes of the words. Maybe I'm the only one. Oh well!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
PortlandCarbo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PortlandCarbo »

Awwhh, I'm back there all over again! Thanks!
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

it's official, Try is the best new song IMO. Gives me goosebumps, even that little clip.
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

daylight wrote:Videos:

The Rink
The Drop-off
Try

Intro
Nautical Disaster Outro

The Rink mp3 (ripped from MSN video, upped the volume)

Suffice to say, I enjoyed the set thoroughly. Shame they lost about 15 minutes due to the disaster, but they were in fine form regardless. PS: excuse the shakiness, I couldn't help but rock out!
Awesome stuff! Those songs are sounding awesome even from those clips! I really like when Drop Off starts rocking hard, and Rink is growing on me a lot even though it didn't do much for me on first listen. It sound strangely... danceable. I could tell what Gord was saying in those Nautical Disaster clips.