2006-05-26 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Hey all,

Just like to start off by saying it was great to see everyone that I did last night. What a great show!

The band was on and tight, even worked around Twist My Arm by doing the bridge twice cause Gord forgot the lyrics.

Speaking of Gord he was wearing quite a preppy outfit (khaki cap - Castro like, navy blue blazer, baby blue shirt - ala the green one, and khaki pants) and seemed to disrobe and sweat at his usual rate.

There was much fighting with the mike stand, at one point Gord was telling everyone that the mike thought it could fly and then showed us that in fact it could not. Quite funny.

All the classic Gord-isms were in effect, he did the tail feathers, log driver on the monitors, paddling the canoe on the side of the stage etc.

Overall a great crowd (although Gord did seem to spot a fight in the crowd at one point and spoke about it between songs making sure that everyone was ok and that everyone knew that fighting wasn't cool) and very happy drunks

The new songs seemed ok, I only heard them once but I too thought the third one played was the best. Not many rants, mainly commentary but i'm sure that will evolve over the tour. Also, yes Rob still has long hair and beard, Gord D has not joined the hair club for men and Paul still has the mullet.

Again classic, energetic and driven versions of M@W, Good Life, Poets, 100th, Nautical and NOIS. Great to hear some oldies, Twist, They've all Gone and Little Bones.

Good luck to all those going to Sasquatch! Should be a great time!

All for now,
Aaron

All for now,
Aaron
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

anesthesiologist wrote:Hey all,

Just like to start off by saying it was great to see everyone that I did last night. What a great show!

The band was on and tight, even worked around Twist My Arm by doing the bridge twice cause Gord forgot the lyrics.

Speaking of Gord he was wearing quite a preppy outfit (khaki cap - Castro like, navy blue blazer, baby blue shirt - ala the green one, and khaki pants) and seemed to disrobe and sweat at his usual rate.

There was much fighting with the mike stand, at one point Gord was telling everyone that the mike thought it could fly and then showed us that in fact it could not. Quite funny.

All the classic Gord-isms were in effect, he did the tail feathers, log driver on the monitors, paddling the canoe on the side of the stage etc.

Overall a great crowd (although Gord did seem to spot a fight in the crowd at one point and spoke about it between songs making sure that everyone was ok and that everyone knew that fighting wasn't cool) and very happy drunks

The new songs seemed ok, I only heard them once but I too thought the third one played was the best. Not many rants, mainly commentary but i'm sure that will evolve over the tour. Also, yes Rob still has long hair and beard, Gord D has not joined the hair club for men and Paul still has the mullet.

Again classic, energetic and driven versions of M@W, Good Life, Poets, 100th, Nautical and NOIS. Great to hear some oldies, Twist, They've all Gone and Little Bones.

Good luck to all those going to Sasquatch! Should be a great time!

All for now,
Aaron

All for now,
Aaron
Thanks for the review Aaron!
Sounds like a great time.

I am still interested in hearing others reviews on the show and especially the new songs. Anybody catch any song names? Notice any previous rants show up in the lyrics?

I am just beaming with anticipation of hearing some "new" news! Thanks all that have posted so far! :thumb:
Woodrov
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Woodrov »

"My microphone thinks it's a bird!" rant was good times. I swear he quickly sung a line or two from Nelly Furtado, sped up 100th Meridian-style: "I'm like a bird, I'll only fly away I don't know where my soul is, I don't know where my home is."

WICKED show altogther. "Try" was my favourite of the new songs, if that what it was. Would love to find a recording of this one.

If I could pick one let down, which is a reach (how can I be let down after that show?) is there was no Grace, too. I was thinking NOIS would be off the playlist. Pleasantly surprised.

More to follow...
eldorado
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by eldorado »

Howdy all. I think this is my first post here, anyways I was front and center at the Hip's Commodore show last night and I have to agree with one of the posters above that it was absolutely insane awesome. There's no Hip show like a small venue Hip Show! Period! My ears are STILL ringing!

Okay, I compiled an unofficial setlist based on my recollection. Those who were there, feel free to correct me. Also, I'm not up-to-date on the titles of the unreleased new songs, so any new material (Which kicked serious ass BTW!) is simply labelled as "New Song"

1. New Song (By far and away my favorite of the new stuff they played last night!)
2. Fully Completely
3. Twist My Arm (...do I want to Robbie?...do I want to?...do I?...)
4. New Song (another solid rocker)
5. Lake Fever
6. Bobcaygeon
7. New Song
8. Poets (...don't tell me how your universe is altered when you find out how he gets laid..)
9. No Threat
10. Music @ Work
11. Fireworks
12. 100th Meridian (included a jam session that culminated with a great finale!)
13. Nashville Every Night
14. Nautical Disaster
15. New Song (a short acoustic number reminiscent of Unplucked Gems)
16. New Orleans
------------------
17. We'll Go Too (..for the boys in the crew)
18. It's A Good Life if you Don't Weaken
19. Little Bones

There it is. I'm pretty sure I remembered all the songs. But I might be a ltitle hazy on the order. A was a great set with a couple glaring omissions.

1) Henhouse was completely ignored!
2) Only one song off Day 4 Night (my favorite album).

Otherwise the crowd was awesome, despite a few security issues up front. Gordie was as energetic and as enigmatic as ever! At one point he tried to calm the rowdy crowd but felt..."Am I making it better, or worse?" Then later on, during one of his many dances with the mic-stand, he accidently knocked it over and it hit one of the security guys on the shoulder. Gord looked a little embarrassed and apologized and just kept on rockin. Another thing I noticed, and maybe its to be expected at times given the amount of songs they to remember, but Gord flubbed the lyrics on Well Go Too, and Sinclair bailed him out in typical fashion. Also they did the bridge from Twist my Arm twice because Gord missed the cue and went prematurely! (LOL)A few rocking jam sessions amidst the setlist, although its worth pointing out that New Orleans was pretty much untampered and to the point.

Amongst my favorites of the night, The Opener, 100th Meridian, and No Threat (a song Gord said he wrote while in Van last time around referring to our condos..."you got a lotta windows Vancouver!")

It went by quickly, but then again, most of my Hip experiences did so as well.

Good day for now. Keep on rocking in the free world!
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Great show

New songs rocked

Great folks great crowd

I think everyone there was wasted !
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Official setlist:

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: Fully Completely
3: Twist My Arm
4: Lake Fever
5: The Drop Off
6: Poets
7: No Threat
8: Bobcaygeon
9: Nautical Disaster
10: Fireworks
11: It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
12: The New Maybe
13: At The Hundredth Meridian
14: Fly
15: My Music At Work
16: New Orleans Is Sinking
17: We'll Go Too
18: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
19: Little Bones
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
eldorado
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by eldorado »

sean.bonner wrote:Official setlist:

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: Fully Completely
3: Twist My Arm
4: Lake Fever
5: The Drop Off
6: Poets
7: No Threat
8: Bobcaygeon
9: Nautical Disaster
10: Fireworks
11: It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
12: The New Maybe
13: At The Hundredth Meridian
14: Fly
15: My Music At Work
16: New Orleans Is Sinking
17: We'll Go Too
18: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
19: Little Bones
Thanks sean. Curious where you found the "official" setlist so early.
I was pretty close at guessing from memory.
Its good to put a name to those awesome new songs.
The Lonely End of the Rink was a great opener!

P.S. The Hip rocked so hard last night, that I almost forgot to say that Sam Roberts was incredible too. (Sorry Sam!) I had never seen them live before and they were almost worth the price of admission by themselves. Almost. :lol:
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

Holy crap that was an amazing show. Definitely a top 5 of the 20 or so that I've seen. The new songs were awesome - all three were rockers. The third one (Fly) has the following lyrics, which were used in rants in 04/05: Seventy days to cross the ocean/Seventy nights when no one's gunna hear you fall/Like Freddie Mercury/I sometimes too wish I'd never been born at all.

No Threat was awesome live. Gord calling out the guys fighting was pretty damn funny. "Fighting doesn't get you laid. It's like bad politics. Bad politics doesn't get you laid. Just ask Stephen Harper."

Twist My Arm turned into a six minute song because Gord forgot the lyrics to the bridge, then remembered them and sang them despite the band being way past that point, then implored the guys to go back to the bridge, which they did.

Sam Roberts was awesome as always. It is clear that a good chunk of Hip fans are also SRB fans. And when Gord thanked SRB at the end of the show he called them: "The World's Greatest Surprise".

As for Gord's get-up, he looked kinda Michael Stipe-ish at first. I realized after the fact that the hat he was wearing was available at the merch booth.

Anyway, prolly the 5th show I've seen in Vancouver - and the crowd was by far the best. Tons of energy, everyone was really into it, and the Commodore can't be beat as a venue.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

cferneyh wrote:The new songs were awesome - all three were rockers. The third one (Fly) has the following lyrics, which were used in rants in 04/05: Seventy days to cross the ocean/Seventy nights when no one's gunna hear you fall/Like Freddie Mercury/I sometimes too wish I'd never been born at all.
Nice.
I really loved that rant. I actually thought they were lines to another song by someone else. Good to know it's Gord's words!
cherylmusicfreak
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cherylmusicfreak »

Now that's what I'm talking about! My only disappointment was that it wasn't longer.....but not much you can do about that. The place ROCKED and I enjoyed the new material. The new album will be killer.

It was so great to see them. You can trust you're going to get a hell of a show from them. You just know it.............

I saw the Black Crowes a couple weeks ago and I was very disappointed. The Crowes played a 3 hour set with jam after jam after jam after jam and only played 3-4 hits.........Most of the setlist I didn't know. It was one of the most boring shows I have ever been to. Anyone go to it? Heard Kamloops and Victoria got the hits and they played a much shorter set. Anyway I could go on but this is the Hip forum not BC.

Guess I'm glad I got to go to a really rockin show after that big disappointment. What a show!!!!!!!!! Maybe BC should take some notes on how it's really suppose to be done.

Thank you so much Tragically Hip!!
screw_ball
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by screw_ball »

cherylmusicfreak wrote:I saw the Black Crowes a couple weeks ago and I was very disappointed. The Crowes played a 3 hour set with jam after jam after jam after jam and only played 3-4 hits.........Most of the setlist I didn't know.
I doubt you know how hard it is to make a good setlist. Sure, you want to play the hits, but what about the big fans? The ones that know all the songs and drove six hundred miles too get to the show because they just love the band so much. I hate it when a band uses the logic that, if they play only the hits, it will please the casual fan because he only knows the hits, but will still please the hardcore fan because the hardcore fan loves most (if not all) of the songs. I just don't think that's fair because, as a musician, I don't want to restrain myself from playing a song I like to play because it's not a hit, and as a fan of the band, because their best songs usually aren't just their hits. I think it takes balls from the Black Crowes to play what they want and not try and please everyone. Sure, the fans payed money to go see them, but if they want to hear only the hits, they should go out and buy their greatest hits.

Then again, maybe I'm just being selfish. Sorry for the derail.
cherylmusicfreak
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cherylmusicfreak »

I know it's hard to make up a setlist. I see your point and agree with you........They do have balls as most bands pretty much stick to the same setlist day in day out for their tours and I think sometimes don't they ever get bored. But for the Crowes it was a little extreme. You have to think of the fans and play more hits than they did. They buy the CD's and pay for the tickets. Wish they did more like what the Hip did....THey did 3 new ones and if the BC did 5 or 6 that even have been OK since it was a 3 hour show but it was almost the whole show. There were even a couple covers I didn't know. Usually you know the covers. You would think you'd hear more hits the longer a show was. The shorter shows were packed with hits. I was at the very front of the stage so that was cool. At the end people chanted Remedy over and over and we never got it. Every time a song ended you hoped the next one you knew and it when you didn't it got more and more disappointing as the evening went on. You appreciate the musician ship of the new songs and the jams (I expected 2-3 but not 8!) but it was abit much. Other people were complaining too. They got a horrible review in Toronto because of it.
Don't be sorry for the derailment.....I think most people are 50/50 on this one so expected it. Most of the die hards even if they felt like me they wouldn't agree because they are so faithful to the band. I know alot of people see it both ways. I just think they should please both types of fans at each show. Give them each the hits and new material. Most people go to hear the hits. When you party at a bar etc. you want to hear songs you know......not songs you've never heard of before. Kind of how I feel for a concert. I'd rather party it up and sing my heart out with the band most of the night to the songs I know. Just my opinon. I love hearing new stuff and B singles as well just not the majority of the show.
Believe me I am a big fan and know all their music. Alot of these songs were B singles etc. I want to see them live and just because I want to hear alot of the singles doesn't mean I should stay home and listen to a CD. But I think maybe I will now as it was so disappointing. They played their hearts out, I can appreciate it....but most of it I didn't know.

The new stuff the Hip did I really loved......but you can never be disappointed with them. I look forward to the new CD.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

The show was great last night, I had a great time except for a small incident that may or may not be discussed in further detail in time!

A big thanks to Big A for letting a stranger from Ontario crash at his place, TLB, it was great meeting you and I promise we'll get together again. Everyone else from the hipbase that I met last night, it was a pleasure. Mav, it was great to meet you and next time I'll buy you a beer! Now you're all invited to my place for the Fort York shows. I can't believe I have to wait almost a month to see them again, its gonna kill me!

Steve
Last edited by dreyfuss on Sun May 28, 2006 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

my 2 cents about the crowes..anybody who knows even just a little about them should know what to expect at a show..i for one loved the show in kamloops, and no they didn't play that many "hits"...