2006-06-30 - Charlottetown, PE - Atlantic Superstore Fest.

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Rolling Stones in Halifax is expected to be announced Tuesday, any chance the Hip play with them again?
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

And yeah, the girls did get down some, but you can bet it had nothing to do with the disgruntled girls behind them. The brunette i remember was wearing a green tanktop.

Did anyone go see Joel Plaskett on Saturday?
Gortron
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Gortron »

I heard the halifax concert (if it happens) will be rolling stones, aerosmith, and the who.

so far anyways.
deadparrot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by deadparrot »

it was a good show. Hummingbird still ranks up there as my top venue though....maybe Citadel Hill too. The guys up front were dicks. I swear I was ready to put this one guy in his place. Eventually I just got so annoyed and distracted by people pushing that I crowd surfed outta there.

Other than all that though....some great rarities! Couple of them haven't been played in 6 years!! Wonder why they're digging up these older songs

Oh yah....saw Sean there. That was cool.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

I just watched the video, particularly 100th Meridian, and I've never seen Gord dance as nuts as he did there. For all you Seinfeld fans: remember when Kramer and Newman were making sausages in Jery's kitchen, and they were dancing to that music on the stereo? Picture Kramer dancing there, and multiply it by 100, and you have how Gord was dancing...

Rory
Halifax
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Yeah, he was on. I've never seen him do moves like that with the mic stand before. *drools for the video* :jump

D
Last edited by highlander on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheat_King
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Wheat_King »

Yeah, you telling us all about the video is kinda like torture. Cruel, cruel torture. :(
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Rory and Darren, I'll be hopefully seeing you when they tour in the fall or winter. Bring it on! kleh, you too. And Jamie, and whomever else. Can't wait.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Hopefully I'll be able to make it back out there for a couple shows. Hopefully it'll be a winter tour so that I have more vacation time.
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

ryan93 wrote: Did anyone go see Joel Plaskett on Saturday?
I did. Great stuff (I wouldn't expect any less from Joel). Everyone was really into it and enjoying themselves. It was the 9th or 10th time I've seen Joel so I have to come to expect a great show everytime I see him, and he never disappoints.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Wow. What a great concert. I scored one of Rob's picks and also a setlist. I'll post more later when I have more time. (Yaay day off)!.
I saw Dead Parrot there... that was pretty cool; sorry I didn't see you other Hipbasers. The guys up front were dicks. I was up there, but I was a bit in front of the pushing, but there were times that I was beoing pushed around. I can't wait to see pics to see if I can see myself in the ol' Hipbase shirt.

Holy Sherpa and Unplucked Gems. I more thorough review to come soon.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

I emailed Kim Green a few days ago, and she replied wanting me to send the letter i emailed her to The Guardian editorial. She said the FOL are getting slammed right now, and she is afraid the City of Charlottetown won't have another Festival of Lights.
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

Yeah, the festival is getting a pretty bad name these days. Everything in the papers about the festival is bad things. Apparently alot of damage was done to nearby homes and properties. Many that live right down town have been trying for a long time now to get the festival shut down, now they have a reason.
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

I think it would be a shame for the festival to be shut down. At the same time, I think the behaviour that has went on during the weekend of the festival isn't really acceptable either.
riotact
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by riotact »

It's too bad that a few morons have to ruin it for everyone else. I thought this year's festival line-up was one of the better ones in recent years. Although I must say that the crowd this year did leave something to be desired. I was the closest to the stage as I had ever been for this festival and held my spot during most of the June 30th show but as the day wore on, the crowd started pushing toward the front and it only worsened once the Hip came out. Except for Blow at High Dough and Ahead By a Century I bare remember any of the other songs they played as I spent most of their set just trying to keep my balance and keep my wife from getting squished.

I really need to see the Hip in a setting where I have an actual seat (not that I would be using it) because every show that I've seen them at was outside and general admission and subpar as far as view. I really wished I could have focused more on the Hip during this show instead of my own safety because Gord was really on top of his game that night, not to mention the rest of the band. Whew!! Wpghipfan you need to get that DVD available for those of us that weren't able to the true awesomeness of the Hip that night due to a few dicks in the crowd. Even with the dickheads, it was still a kickass show and that's something they couldn't take away from me.