2006-06-30 - Charlottetown, PE - Atlantic Superstore Fest.

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

I definitely hope so! I have 2 minutes of "the lonely end of the rink" on video, and i've watched it over & over already :) I need more!
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

I recorded both video and audio from in front of the soundboard. But, I will stand by the Hip-requested October rule...

Rory
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Hip-requested October rule??
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

Wow, I had such great expectations for the day, only to have one of the worst trips of my life... But you know what, the only reason I went on the trip in the first place was to see The Hip, and Gord & company made up for everything.

Arrived at the concert site with Sam Roberts was on, he played his last two songs while I looked into the crowd pretty shocked at how easy it was going to be to make it close to the stage.

Got about 30 feet from the stage, called my little brother who happened to be standing right at the front. The crowd was alright for the first little bit where I was, we all just stood around and talked, met alot of friendly people and just had the time of our lives... Then after a bit, it was just a huge traffic zone... People walking by us in and out of the crowd, pushing the shoving and stuff...

Was a brilliant show as always though. Gord behaved and made my night just like I thought he would... Him shoving the microphone in his pocket and then later going and laying down looking like he was sleeping was amazing... I mean WHO ELSE can pull stuff like that off in a concert?

Gord was playing with the Mic stand for a bit... Ofcourse I started going on about the microphone stand thinking it was a man... Every person around me except for my friend was looking at me like I was crazy.. then Gord got into one of his microphone rants and was saying what I had been saing and these people all looked at me and were like "How the %^& did you know?!?!" And I just laughed and shrugged at them...

I met some pretty nice people at the concert... I don't know the guy, but I hope he knows about this website, because he showed me the greatest picture of Gord laying back with his feet up on the ladder that anyone could possibly get...

All-in-all, The show was amazing and I got to see it with a few friends who are almost as crazy about The Hip as I am, so it made the purpose of the trip just that much greater.

Does anyone knwo what Gord meant when he left the stage? It sounded like he said "Remember July 30th"... And I can't think why he would say that unless he wants people to remember the day before my birthday ;)

Das Hip, City of Charlottetown... Thanks for the awesome night, Miramichi awaits you :mrgreen:

edit: As much as I want the live audio/video from this show I guess 'ill have to wait :( They deserve the fans they have though that have the goods and respect the band enough to keep it under wraps.
Last edited by Hammer on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

wpghipfan wrote:I recorded both video and audio from in front of the soundboard. But, I will stand by the Hip-requested October rule...

Rory
:thumb:
Sss
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Sss »

OMIGOD!
I had so much fun!

Have you ever burnt down a church?-----OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T!

WooHoo :jump
Hats off to the band!
It makes me sooo happy when I think back!
Next years Festival Of Lights is gonna suck after this! Heh! Heh!
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

Sss wrote:Have you ever burnt down a church?-----OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T!
How funny and random was that?! What a great night aside from all of the annoyances in the crowd. (I did get to see one guy manage to crowdsurf his way into a certain area twice only to be thrown down by the same people both times, now THAT was funny!)

Met up with Daryl24 and some other people at a party within a couple minutes from the concert (well within listening distance, heard Sam Roberts there for a bit before I went to the show) Party wasn't all that great, but it would have to be a pretty killer party to even get a half decent review compared to seeing The Hip a little bit before the party...

October seems SOOO Far away... 1/3 of a year will have gone by before i'll be able to listen to what I got to experience in Charlottetown, thats damn depressing :(
Tarokun
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Tarokun »

At the end, Gord said "Remember July 30th!". And I can't figure out why
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Hey all...

If anyone has some digital shots from the show that they'd like to send my way, I'd appreciate it. The DVD needs a slideshow. I have HipTrip footage for the special features (including a great rendition of Folsom Prison Blues sung by the one and only thehip11), I have Sam's set recorded, and of course, the Hip's. It's gonna be a great DVD. Just need some pic's. PM me if you can help me out.

Rory
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

WHO WANTS TO GO TO AFGHANISTAN?!? Exactly....
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Tarokun wrote:At the end, Gord said "Remember July 30th!". And I can't figure out why
Me either. :roll: :roll: I was hoping that was the release of the album..hehehehe. :P :P :P
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

tigerthelion wrote: To Highlander- what was it, four or five times that big breasted woman crowd surfed? I say kick those clowns out of the concert altogether.
Hey Steve. I'm glad you survived man. I was just bowling through the "hillbillies" (I think that best described them too). I was walking along pissed off that some f**k had kicked my glasses off and, I walked right passed Rory and he tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Darren" I almost kept walking but came to my senses. Sorry about the sweaty T-shirt when you tapped me Rory. It ain't easy being 6'5 and standing in the 2nd row taking abuse from a psychotic bitch behind me and just standing since 3:30pm that day till 10 when I said I was done putting up with the crap. People in front of me did thank me though and said I was "like a big tree." I went up and downed 3 bottles of water at one of the food stands. The look on the woman's face when I gave them to her after I finished each one was funny. I'm done doing standing crowd Hip shows of that size. I could not believe how inconsiderate and low-brow the the crowd was. Not all of the crowd, just the stoned and drunk arseholes.

Btw, that blonde chic was everywhere. She easily body surfed at least 4 times. Very pretty girl, guess she liked being groped by every guy she surfed over. The security guards didn't mind getting to help her out. I pointed her out to Jamie. She went by us a couple of times back by the sound booth.

Anyways, to the show. Starting with Blow was rocking the first few rows. Everyone was jumping and singing in unison as Gord and boys belted out the tune. Truly gave me shivers. I loved hearing Lionized and Sherpa. I don't think I've heard either live before. Meridian was hilarious. I was just laughing watching Gord doing soccer-like moves with the mic stand to keep it upright and then towel snapping it with his bandana/hankie. Gord and the guys were truly rested and lively. Gord's little rants and the one before Ocean when he talked about the whale that beached itself recently on PEI. "Those whales do that whenever they want something...better kill them before they get you." Something along those lines. The Grace Too rants were great. The mic tossing, Rob's "Smokey and the Bandit sunglasses" and cowboy hat. Priceless.

I am a burnt lobster. Pam and I did a lot of sight-seeing on Saturday. I had to wear my perscription sunglasses to see anything. I'm glad I kept my old pair here at home so I would have something to wear till I get a new pair.

Anyways, again, good to see you again Steve. Same for Jamie, Rory and Brandy. I'm sure we will all be doing it again the upcoming tour after the new album comes out. Reserved seats please. LOL ;)

Highlander (the 6'5 sardine)
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

I just got back from the 2nd concert series. We timed it so that we arrived just as Hedley had finished. Theory of a Deadman played next, and well, i wasn't impressed with them at all. Honestly i found their set very boring. The final band up was Three Days Grace, and they definitely had a lot more energy than Theory, and there were a couple of highlights for me, namely their new single, but i wasn't really into them at all either. I was very disppointed when the July 2nd lineup was announced a month or so ago, and nothing i seen/heard tonight made me change my mind any.
There was definitely more crowd surfing tonight, but a lot less pushing & shoving.

I'm pretty sure i know what blonde you guys are talking about...if so, she was over us about the 2nd or 3rd song into the Hip's set. Directly in front of us there was a blonde & a brunette up on guys shoulders, and the girls behind us kept yelling at them to get down, and they were arguing for a bit :) Never developed into anything more than words though :(
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

These girls you speak of are clearly visible on the DVD. The camera was perched high up on the fence surrounding the soundboard, on the tripod, fastened there by my fiancee's belt for hands-free recording. They got down off the shoulders after awhile. What a show!! After watching the whole thing again, I could see a whole hell of a lot more than what I did during the actual show. Gord was in fine form. Sinclair looked like he was playing his first gig, he was having so much fun. I kind of get the impression that this band is Sinclair's "baby".
Oceans is by far the best of the new songs that I've heard. I wish I could put it out there for everyone. It's been playin over and over in my head non-stop since the end of the show. Yes, folks, it's one of THOSE songs. I absolutely love it when the boys play brand new, not-yet-on-an-album songs. You can tell just how proud they are of them by how much energy they put into playing them. Rink was blistering in the encore. I am never one to dance at Hip shows, save for a bit of head-bobbing, but I lost it during Rink. I FELT it this time around... Every song, no matter how many times I had heard it live before, seemed fresh this night.
Perhaps it is because I knew that Charlottetown would be the only opportunity to see them this summer for me... this show was truly special. I am sorry to hear about how crappy it was up front. I learned long ago never to go up there during a GA show. Too many bumps, bruises, scratches, sprains, headaches, etc. When I am able to focus on just the band and not have to worry about if someone is going to land on my head.... that's what makes a great show for me. Add this one to that list.
Can't wait for you all to see this DVD...

Rory
Halifax
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

well my ears finally stopped ringin' so i think im good to go w/ a review now!

we got into charlottetown around 445pm i walked right in, was a little scared about gettin my camera in but the security just patted down that pocket and said something like "all your pockets are full eh?" & let me in, cool

the 'venue' was very empty when i arrived, scanned the area really quickly and grabbed my spot very near the front/left of the stage, i'm pretty sure i got on the local ctv's live feed for the countdown/first matt mays tune, seemed like his whole band were drinkin schooner!! nice, really liked their set although i wasnt very familiar with the material, sam roberts band could be seen offstage watchin em play, as soon as their set ended it rained down for 10 minutes or so but cleared up after the set change

SRB came out w/ matt & the boys lookin on backstage, i even saw my friend nathan wiley watchin from backthere (lucky bastard!!) they played a lot more of the new songs than they did back in march @ the wave i was really pleased, made eye contact w/ sam a few times which was really cool, once during 'paranoia' during the ''five thumbs on left hand" part i gave him a :thumb: was pretty cool that matt mays came out to play with em too, Sam looked a lil' pissed off when his guitar wasnt in tune for the beginning of 'mind flood' but after a quick change they rocked it hard!

next set change i saw Dave filmin the crowd a little bit meanwhile the crew took down that atlantic lottery banner, made me think of that gord S part in hekensenketel(Sp?) part "miller genuine draft proudly presents the tragically hip.......can we put this sign here? NO!" hehe

opening w/ blow @ high dough! wow didnt see that one comin, was very surreal, of my now 7 shows this was the closest i had been ever! lots of eye contact w/ paul which was pretty damn cool !! after 'oceans' the real pushing/shoving seemed to start, and as posted previously did that ever suck!! at one point i saw at least 9 ppl on the ground from the crowd surging left to right, i helped a few ppl get back up while others looked on with blank stares, i even saw gord D mouth off mic to a few ppl down in front "are you ok? are you sure?" his speechs regarding that issue were priceless, even the security guys were applauding him!

so many gems, including gems!!! lionized WOW!!! fire in the hole paul was really rockin out during this one, near the end of the main set i almost bailed as the crowd wasnt gettin any better & my balance wasnt keepin up but i stuck in there somehow, lonely end of the rink was killer and very intense i seemed to be the only person around who knew what it was or any of the lyrics hehe, few songs prior to that i saw tigerthelion back a few rows and met up with him afterwards tryin to get setlists, was lucky enough to get a guitar pic & when johnny thru out his sticks they floated (in slow motion in seemed) about 2 feet above my head

all in all great f'in performance, great to see em back on the island after almost 7 years!!! too bad about the crowd & sorry i didnt get to meet more of the hipbasers

also just uploaded a few more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623262@N00/ some turned out really well, others not so great

i cant believe its all over, can't wait until next time
Clayton