2006-06-21 - Belleville, ON - The Empire Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Feel free to post the pics from the fashion show... but Trev, don't forget that I am coming to your wedding... and I like to talk!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:Feel free to post the pics from the fashion show... but Trev, don't forget that I am coming to your wedding... and I like to talk!
Yeah but the rest of my family knows you enough to know that you babble on about nothing anyways. It would be a great shock if they actually listened to you! :P

...besides, it's not like we had to drag you kicking and screaming in front of the camera! You were very willing to wear a woman's shirt...a little too willing maybe?
cochise
Completist
Completist

Belleville Show

Post by cochise »

Great Show, words can not even come close to describing.

First off, love the Empire such an amazing venue for anything (big, big thanks to Mark Rashotte for trying to clean up downtown). For out-of-towners I am sure downtown Belleville looked a little seedy, which it is, but once out of the downtown core, it is actually a really nice place

Band sounded amazing, Gord was on fire through the whole night. If I had to pick two stand outs it would have to be Dire Wolf and Long Time Running

Long Time Running was surreal, absolutely goosebumps amazing. The crowd………….the band………………one of those things you couldn’t make happen if it was planned………..just one of those spontaneous things that makes a memory forever

I was front row so I was able to get some good photos. I know I got a good one of Gord with the "bank robber bandana" and an amazing one with him sitting on the stage during LTR. I'll try and post later
trevor
Completist
Completist

Re: Belleville Show

Post by trevor »

cochise wrote:Great Show, words can not even come close to describing.

First off, love the Empire such an amazing venue for anything (big, big thanks to Mark Rashotte for trying to clean up downtown). For out-of-towners I am sure downtown Belleville looked a little seedy, which it is, but once out of the downtown core, it is actually a really nice place

Band sounded amazing, Gord was on fire through the whole night. If I had to pick two stand outs it would have to be Dire Wolf and Long Time Running

Long Time Running was surreal, absolutely goosebumps amazing. The crowd………….the band………………one of those things you couldn’t make happen if it was planned………..just one of those spontaneous things that makes a memory forever

I was front row so I was able to get some good photos. I know I got a good one of Gord with the "bank robber bandana" and an amazing one with him sitting on the stage during LTR. I'll try and post later
Looking forward to seeing your pics.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

AWESOME AWESOME TIME!!!!

Great to meet everyone at the show and hear a few hip stories.

Highlights for me were: Twist My Arm, Daredevil, Titanic Terrarium, Dire Wolf, Use it Up and Longtime Running (Despite the fact 95% of the people didn't know the words to one of their greatest songs).

A huge huge thanks to MAv for allowing the guys to tape the shows. October will be a great month of live recordings on the tracker.

I'm anxiously awaiting the fashion show pictures.

See everyone on Saturday night.

Jamie
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

I'll say more later... but for now... wow... what a night. I'm still shocked at how amazing that was.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

What an incredible show, probably the best I've ever been to. The theatre was amazing, the setlist was amazing. Something On, Direwolf, Use It Up, Terrarium and Daredevil were standouts for me. Daredevil had a brief hiccups intro which was awesome. Gift Shop really stood out for me aswell, it was one of the best versions of it I've ever heard. As others have mentioned the sound was amazing in the theatre and it was really cool to meet a bunch of other hipbasers. See you in Fort York.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Setlist that SirMatticus so kindly let me take a pic of...

chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

Unbelieveable show, too bad it had to end, they sounded so tight last night. Definitely an great setlist, with some killer surprizes. I love the guy you tried and rush the stage at the end, he was caught in midair and out of the building side door in a second and a half.

It was awesome meeting so many hipbasers at the show, goulet thanks for contributing to my heart burn with the shot, i definitely owe you one at the next show and your g/f/fiancee coming through in the clutch with the tums.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

here are some of the pictures I took last night. My batteries died half way through the show so I wasnt able to take too many, I took more than whats posted here but they didnt turn out that well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94666481@N00/

p.s. I can't wait to see some of your pics Trevor, the picture quality of the ones you've already posted are great, you have an awesome camera.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

emperor penguin wrote:I can't wait to see some of your pics Trevor, the picture quality of the ones you've already posted are great, you have an awesome camera.
Those are some nice pics Eric! I like them a lot. Would love to see some more when you have a chance to upload them.

As for my camera...yeah...I like it. It certainly does the job. It is more the lens I used last night then the camera though. With low light photography, you need a fast lens and unfortunately, they are really expensive. So, we make due.

I am currently trying to process the images but I took 570 so it is a little time consuming, especially at work.

Will have something soon, I promise!
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

chancellor wrote:It was awesome meeting so many hipbasers at the show, Goulet thanks for contributing to my heart burn with the shot, i definitely owe you one at the next show and your g/f/fiancee coming through
in the clutch with the tums.
No problem Chancellor...she's great for emergency meds...she's always got a first aid kit-worth of pills in her purse "just in case" and she loves to drink booze...I've definitely got a keeper!!!

Agreed, getting to meet up with so many guys that I spend time chatting with was super cool....Chancellor, Bean, Chris, Man-Sized, Hip11, BigA, Penguin of Emperors, MaV...thanks for making the show that much better.

I have never seen the Hip in such a great venue, nor have I ever heard such great sound from a live music hall...for me that is what truly made the night.

As far as the setlist goes, they certainly pulled out some rarities, but unfortunately a lot of the songs they played tonight weren't my personal faves...Daredevil, Terrarium, Twist, Springtime, Gus etc....BUT the inclusion of Something On and most definitely The Dire Wolf made up for it in spades.

The new songs I'm still on the fence on...I think Fly is a bonifide classic, I'm positive once you hear the studio version you will fall in love with this song, as it will be in the set list for years to come. I'd be willing to bet anything that this was one of the Gord D songs that the rest of the band begged him to do with The Hip as a whole. Lonely End of the Rink and Drop Off just didn't sit well with me...I really don't think they were all that great, time will tell if they grow on me or not.

Cheers to everyone I ran into...can't wait until the next show!!!
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Show was great. Like everyone mentioned, it was great to meet so many hipbasers - Chancellor, Chris, Man-Sized Eldorado, thehip11, BigA, emperor penguin, SirMatticus, dreyfuss, robert goulet, borgs, Elwood, hotmetal401, habsfan19 & MAv. Huge thanks to goulet for the tequila shot - I didnt pussy out like chancellor did.

I wont say much about the show other than it was amazing and the best hip show that I have ever seen.

Lots of laughs in the parking lot afterwards. We had some cool conversations about various things - new album, white bikinis, fort york, sean.bonner, fashion, tandem bicycles, wendy, etc.

I cant wait for saturday.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

"Swim Goddamn you swim"

That's about the best way to sum the whole thing up. Ine one of my more stupid adventures, Gaston (Habsfan19) and I took to the 401 to see Das Hip 200 k or so away from the home base. The joys of living back at home; before my mother left for her vacation this week, she specifically said "no long distance trips on the new company car"... whoops.

So we get there in good time for the Weakerthans to start, so we head to the lounge upstairs. What I really enjoy about theatre shows such as this is that all their prices are really similar. Their domesitc beers are terribly overpriced, but the good beers are par for the course. I feel sorry for anyone who bought a $5 Coors Light when they could have had a $5 Stella, Heiniken or Steamwistle. Sidebar about the Steamwistle: the package date on the bottle was February 1, which for a beer with no preservatives is a long time ago. When I had my case special ordered to Thunder Bay last November, the packaging date was only one week earlier.

The Weakerthans played a tight set. Having only seen them in smaller bars, I didn't really know what they would sound like in a larger room, but they certainly did not disappoint. At times they really didn't seem to have a lot of fun, at least John didn't, but by sets end you knew what they were in it for. If you enjoy well written songs, make sure to catch them this weekend. Their set was:
Our Retired Explorer
Aside
Reconstruction Site
Benediction
Watermark
Simple Twilight
Utilities ("I've got more faults than the state of California" -- great line)
Plea for a Cat Named Virtue
The Reasons
*New song
Manifest.

And then the Hip. Before the show, we were introduced to the fine drunks from Kingston in the England jersey next to us, and Beanmedic, Chancellor thehip11, and Emperor Penguin (pointed out to at least on the later two), and settled in.

I enjoyed the set we got. After seeing the weekend lists, I was actually thinking I may get a Poets and Springtime free show, but it's just not to be for me -- I must be magnetically attracted to the both of them. It didn't really matter though what they played. It was great to be in a small venue like that seeing the band that's stuck beside me, no matter what taste in music I've had over the past eleven years.

Around Ahead By A Century I saw the third of three pregnant women in the venue. Two of this ladies were actually on their feet for the duration -- now that's rock and roll.

Poets had a full Swim outro, Something featured the "it's true, it's you", and before Fly (which the introduction alluded to the it being about immigration -- or at least using immigration as a metaphor) Gord told us he was in all of our fan clubs. No rants really during Meridian -- but the boys had a great little jam going, with Bobby playing something that sounded really familiar, but I could just be imagining things.

No intro to Dare Devil (but it really didn't need it), Titanic was incredible (even better because it's been six years since I last saw it) and Rink will be the rock and roll song of the fall. Closing with LTR always leads to a good time, even when people mess up the words. But hell, GD screws up the words all time and we love him for it (although last night only once during Dire Wolf was there a flub, but it was quickly covered).

A great time. Glad to meet some of the folks from the list, and say hello to some familliar faces, even if it was briefly. There'll be more time for beers and chats this weekend, watching the traffic idle on Gardiner. Leaving directly from work should put me at the Fort by 7:30 -- beers afterwards folks?

Cheers,

Pat
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

steamwhistle has about a 3 month shelf life