2006-06-21 - Belleville, ON - The Empire Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-06-21 - Belleville, ON - The Empire Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
spudz72
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by spudz72 »

One word for me! AWESOME!

Show was just under an hour an a half I recall. Lots of video cameras near the stage and in between the balcony and the floor. Crowd was right into it and the band was great as well.

They closed the show with "Long Time Running" which was perfect for the sound in the Empire.

I'm sure other will eleborate more but if you missed it, you missed an unforgetable show!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I think it was actually closer to 1 hour and 40 minutes.... setlist in order:

Fully
Summer
Twist
Fly
ABAC
Gift
Something
Dire Wolf
Drop Off
Daredevil
Poets
Titanic
Meridian
Spring
Fireworks
Rink

Use It Up
Gus
Long Time
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

Great show tonight, Fort York x 2 will be awesome, they are really changing up the set list. I hope they continue this trend for the weekend! Fully opened the show, other highlights for myself include, use it up, (1st encore song), Twist my arm, Titanic, Something on, & of course LTR for the final. The new material was good to hear and the second newbie really caught my ear. Fireworks, Gus, daredevil, poets, ABAC, gift shop, dire wolf, 100th were also on the bill tonight, others will give you the exact list. Good to meet Cochise, thanks for the tip on the Boathouse guys, it's a good place to warm up before the show. Hopefully will run into more of you over the weekend! A big piss up is in order on saturday for sure. Looking forward to 3 pistols, Blow, Cordelia, Boots, Luxury over the weekend, take care all and enjoy the weekend!
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

why have they been playing such short shows?
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Don't know why they're only doing shorter shows... normally I'd be a bit disappointed but with the setlists they're putting out on this stint it's really hard to complain. I'd rather have shorter shows if it means we get to hear rarities.

Nick
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Also of interest, Gord is playing a lot less guitar these days... there were a few songs tonight which he previously played guitar on but didn't tonight (Twist My Arm, Springtime, Use It Up).

Also, lack of New Orleans tonight I guess means it's not going to be a regular in Canada either.

Nick
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

Great Show tonight! I would like to point out though that no songs were played from Up to Here or M@W. DireWolf made my night...love that song. As for the 3 new ones, they were awsome.....Fly definetly caught my attention.

Also, no Courage, Bobcaygeon, Nautical, NOIS, Little Bones, Blow, Music at work, Good Life, Vaccination Scar.

How often have we seen that in the last few years.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

I'll save a complete review until fully rested. Let's just say this was a good way to start the weekend, and an even better return after being "dry" for a year and a half. It's been a long time since I heard Titanic, Something, Use, etc. LTR was pretty special tonight too.

More to follow

Pat
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

unreal show...

beautiful venue, i walked in and thought i was at a movie theatre (a nice one).

it was my third show in a row and there were still new tunes popping into the set... twist my arm, daredevil, direwolf, use it up, long time running and titanic... i couldn't fuckin' believe it... titanic terrarium.

i'll say it again, drop off is an absolutely crazy rockin' awesome song... other new tunes sounded great also.

met some hipbasers which was cool... beanmedic, sorry they didn't play new orleans 22 times straight, i know that's what you were hoping for.

sitting second row was a perfect 20th show present... they came on, played the first few notes of fully and i instantly forgot all the words to every hip song... my mind was apperantly in awe of the boys.

great night.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Excellent excellent show!
Boys rocked it out!

Nice mixed setlist of new rockin' tunes, staples & hidden gems. Great to hear Titanic and Daredevil again.

The sound was frickin' amazing in the Empire Theatre, thanks to all those who gave us the heads up.

Sitting fourth row was unbelievably close to the boys - it felt like they were in a rather large living room...or better yet, a movie theatre like Borgs said. The crowd was hard to peg down and we had a discussion after the show as to what we thought the ratio of "fan club members" to "other" patrons was. It looked like it might have been 30/70, something like that. Lots of the "younger generation" around which is always nice to see. Most were very respective of where their assigned seats were which seemed to make security's job that much easier. Of course, as luck would have it, Chris Chris and I had the pleasure of having some drunk guy sneak up behind us during the encore and start blatently yelling at us that he "needed" our memory cards and video tapes "when we were done with them." Whatever punk!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the closing song yet...Long Time Running. Gord sat down on one of the monitors at the edge of the stage, crossed his legs and let the crowd belt out some of the course. Unfortunately, it sounded like not many people knew them :? :scratch: ?? But as he was saying thanks at the end of the set, he said: "thanks guys, that was nice. I will remember that one for a while." It was very nice to hear.

We were allowed to bring our gear in to the show last night so there are multiple recordings and video out there. But to respect MAv's (and of course the band's) wishes, these will stay off the tracker and on the shelf until the album is released. I imagine October is going to be a flurry of awesome shows being released all at once. Not to mention a new album of course.

So thanks to all the Basers I met last night and a special thanks to thehip11, SirMatticus, Dreyfuss, BigA, Beanmedic, Chancellor and Emperor for making it an extra sweet night. I will always remember the photoshoot in the parking lot after the show...and that means you Chris Chris! Can't wait to party with you all again this weekend.

Gotta go download some pics!

Cheers!
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Dont forget to post the Chris Chris photoshoot pictures for all of hipbase to see.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

A great show at a cool venue with an awesome crowd (excusing the fact that most didn't know the words to LTR)!

Gord was more talkative than I've seen; chatting with the crowd between songs in a different manner than his normally manic stage character. He told a couple of short "stories" about Belleville and Paul's first show with the band, and that Titanic Terrarium was recorded durng the DFN Sessions at The River Mill in Kingston. I've been to the River Mill and it's a place where the songs on DFN fit; especially on a cold and wet winter day... much like Gord described this evening.

The band seemed really relaxed, and appeared to be having a great time on stage. I've never seen or heard Paul kick as much ass as he did last night. At various points he was sweating nealy as much as Gordie! Sinclair and Robby were grooving from start to finish.

I've got lots more to say, but I need to get to work...
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

beanmedic wrote:Dont forget to post the Chris Chris photoshoot pictures for all of hipbase to see.
Oh yeah don't worry about that. Well get something going this afternoon! The first ever Hipbase/Hip Swag Fashion Show, starring the one and only....CHRIS CHRIS! :lol:
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
beanmedic wrote:Dont forget to post the Chris Chris photoshoot pictures for all of hipbase to see.
Oh yeah don't worry about that. Well get something going this afternoon! The first ever Hipbase/Hip Swag Fashion Show, starring the one and only....CHRIS CHRIS! :lol:
Of the 600 pics, those will be the best.