2006-09-09 - Stratford, ON - Ovation Music Festival

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

IMissMyLungBob wrote:
emperor penguin wrote:The only time I really noticed a sound issue was during Wheat Kings when all of a sudden one of Paul's strums was extremely loud, I dont know if it was a soundboard issue or he just strummed that note extremely hard. After it happened he started laughing.
Ya I remember that but my brother who was there with me thought it was Rob's guitar and I was almost sure it was Paul's by the sound of it. So was it Paul for sure?
Ya I'm pretty sure it was Paul cause it sounded like an acoustic note. I was looking away from the stage and it caught my attention when it happened.
craigd
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by craigd »

Good show !! I had a BLAST !!
Took a bunch of pics of friends prior to the show.
Check them out here.
http://www.almosthip.com/ovation.html

I was too far back to get any good pics of the band.
The screens worked for me and the sound was loud where I was standing in the VIP.
I must say there were ALOT of drunks there !! LOL !!!
It was SOOOO amusing watching them stumble around uncontrollably !
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I was dreading reading this thread because I ended up having to miss the show and I didn't want to read about this being the best show ever! So, it sucks to have missed it, but I'm glad I didn't "miss" a whole lot.
IMissMyLungBob
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by IMissMyLungBob »

emperor penguin wrote:
IMissMyLungBob wrote:
emperor penguin wrote:The only time I really noticed a sound issue was during Wheat Kings when all of a sudden one of Paul's strums was extremely loud, I dont know if it was a soundboard issue or he just strummed that note extremely hard. After it happened he started laughing.
Ya I remember that but my brother who was there with me thought it was Rob's guitar and I was almost sure it was Paul's by the sound of it. So was it Paul for sure?
Ya I'm pretty sure it was Paul cause it sounded like an acoustic note. I was looking away from the stage and it caught my attention when it happened.
That was exactly what happened to me. I looked away for a brief second and as I did I heard the extreamly loud guitar which sounded to me like Pauls but I wasnt certain.

Thanks
rivsy
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by rivsy »

IMissMyLungBob wrote:Did anyone get any good pics from the show? (we forgot our camera)
there are links to quite a few good pics on the ovation site...presumably some of the people on there are media or all access types who were in and around the back stage area
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

IMissMyLungBob wrote:Did anyone get any good pics from the show? (we forgot our camera)
MAv got some great ones! :D http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9691
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Stratford and the View

Post by Flamenco »

Great show!

I was impressed with the live performance of the View. Those of us with xylophone and key phobias won't be dissappointed with the strings version!

As mentioned by others the sound was battling gusty winds and large crowds. I was left of the sound board. Stage middle may have proved better? I've listened to similar sound waves at other TH outdoor concerts. Walkerton had similar sound issues.

Regardless I enjoyed the setlist entirely. Nice to hear ABAC and FITH!

ANd still waiting for Are We Family ...
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Re: Stratford and the View

Post by Zenith »

Flamenco wrote:ANd still waiting for Are We Family ...
The Hip cover the Sister Sledge disco classic?
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Stratford and the View

Post by tigerthelion »

Zenith wrote:
Flamenco wrote:ANd still waiting for Are We Family ...
The Hip cover the Sister Sledge disco classic?
Not quite. :wink: I heard it in Halifax in 2004. :D
IMissMyLungBob
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by IMissMyLungBob »

Very nice pics, Thanks guys
arseface88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by arseface88 »

Honestly, I've never seen Gord give such an energetic performance ever. He was frickin fanstastic, and the electric version of In View kicked ass. Paul and Rob also as energetic as I've ever seen them. Gord really was pushing his high range at first, but like the show in general it only got better. Lots of funny ad libs. Just a great fricking show.
mystery met
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mystery met »

After reading most of these reviews I'm surprised that so many of you thought it was great. Mind You I have, no bragging here folks, seen them a ton. But I felt that It was an off night for them. The sound was bad, they played alot of singles instead of mixing it up, and I really felt that the band was under rehearsed. Fire in the hole was bad, but there were other moments where I scratched my head. I just feel like they were'nt at the top of their game, and who can blame them, they had'nt played in two months. Definetly one of the worst shows I've seen. Cold wet farmers field did'nt help either. Lets hope the Mod Club is a little better... :wink:
In view was better live, but did'nt hold much wait against the other tunes, new and old. Ah, its off my chest now. I hate writing anything even semi negative about the hip but I decided I had to be honest. Oct 17, 1 month from today....guess that would be...September 17...for a boy I know its..Ok you get it. Peace.
cochise
Completist
Completist

??

Post by cochise »

Just curious...............was the VIP tickets worth it?? I didn't go, bbut I almost did becuase I was told the VIP section would be limited to 2000 right up front, was that the case??
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

I haven't looked at all setlists from spring and summer shows but isn't Stratford the ONLY show with an encore?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Flamenco wrote:I haven't looked at all setlists from spring and summer shows but isn't Stratford the ONLY show with an encore?
No. Not at all. Has there been a show WITHOUT an encore?