2006-10-17 - Toronto, ON - Secret Location

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

Forgive if this has been talked about before/silly/stupid, but did anyone else notice that in BobC, he says "that night in Toronto, with its checkerboard floors" and that the horseshoe is indeed in Toronto and had checkerboard floors??? I'm just sayin.....

btw, another big thanks goes to MAv and The Hip for and incredible night!!
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

chris wrote:Horseshoe Tavern was the location.

The show was great - they played all of the songs from the new album along with Bobcaygeon, Fully Completely, My Music At Work and The Wherewithal.

One encore - two songs.

Gord D. seemed really thrilled to be there, and totally stoked about the new record.

The crowd was receptive to the new tracks, and the drunk captain Canada's seemed to be strangely absent.

As this was a radio contest there were a lot of people there just because they won tickets and were not fans of the band.

Audio (4 sources) and video (5 cameras at least) were recorded. This show will be in the vaults for a while as I have a huge list of shows already queud up for editing.
Chris, I guess you were really upset that the drunk captain Canada's were not present! :D
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

I can't believe how incredible last night was. Not only were they playing at the Horseshoe but I was standing front row right in front of Gord the whole night - and there wasn't a single idiot trying to push his way to the front. This is the type of show a Hip fan dreams of.

As an added bonus I stopped by The Edge studios earlier in the afternoon and had my setlist from the Belleville show signed. An incredible start to a day that just kept getting better.

MAv - I could say 'thank-you' a thousand times and it still wouldn't convey how much being there meant to me.

It was great to see so many Hipbasers again!

See you at the Phoenix,

Matt
Bosman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Bosman »

farmerdan69 wrote:Forgive if this has been talked about before/silly/stupid, but did anyone else notice that in BobC, he says "that night in Toronto, with its checkerboard floors" and that the horseshoe is indeed in Toronto and had checkerboard floors??? I'm just sayin.....

Those are the floors!

http://www.hipmuseum.com/bobc.html
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

Bosman wrote:
farmerdan69 wrote:Forgive if this has been talked about before/silly/stupid, but did anyone else notice that in BobC, he says "that night in Toronto, with its checkerboard floors" and that the horseshoe is indeed in Toronto and had checkerboard floors??? I'm just sayin.....

Those are the floors!

http://www.hipmuseum.com/bobc.html
Funny how everyone interprets songs differently..........I always thought that that line had to do more with how perfectly Toronto streets are laid out in a grid pattern. I know most cities try to do this, but Toronto is perfectly planned (if you disagree, just try and drive around Ottawa or Montreal........)

I always thought that "checkerboard floors" was just describing Toronto in general.........not literal checkeboard floors............guess I overthunk that one...........LOL
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Click here for a view inside the Horseshoe - before The Hip took the stage.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Thanks to MAv to hooking me up with the tickets and it was nice to meet some hipbasers to put some faces to the names. Good show all around.

It was easily the loudest show i have every been to period. My ears are still ringing , serves me right for standing so close to the stage with no earplugs. Half the time the sound was just distorted, i couldnt make out a lryic if I tried.
When we were in line there was people asking us if we were hip fans and how we got our tickets. My friend replied, "We got them through the hip.com/hipbase.com". The guys response was "The hip have a website?" Some others were telling us that they didnt really like the hip, but they called into the edge and won, so they might as well come. Unfortunaly you get these people who then decide that 6 rows back in the horseshow tavern isnt good enough, they want to squeeze into the 2nd row...like it matters!!!! And of course it wouldnt be a show without the famous fake fan line.." Play Last American Exit!!!"

As for the performance itself... Gord talked more to the crowd between songs then ive ever seen, saying things like " Were going to do a song about a cop,. Anybody here a cop? (few in crowd yell,) well its hard to be a cop in this city... This is about a cop in love, in the country.. ya know evil just beneath the surface , or evil in the open" There was quite a few song introductions that ya dont get to see at a normal show.

The new album sounds great live, I really dig Luv(sic),ocean,family band and in view live to name a few. It was really nice to see all 11 songs from the new album knowing that we will prolly never see all 11 played again, ala IBE's secret show. The classics were cool, with wherewithal and fully just derstroying...they cranked out the end of wherewithal at 90 speed, i though my head was going to explode!

I would of liked to be back further looking back now just so i could of got a feeling for the newer songs, instead of hearing just distort some of the time. Oh well, it was definately cool to be that close to the stage, something i can now say ive done, so next wednesday I'm sticking around the middle/back just to enjoy the sounds... Oh and bring your ear plugs!
TonyZZZ
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by TonyZZZ »

was at the show with gratts99 and my ears are still ringing too!!!

Gratts told me at one point Rob turned to Gord S. and saw him mouth "too loud!"

Ah well, it was definitely worth it to be up close.

To be so close to actually see the sweat pouring from the brim of Gord's hat was definitely cool.

Got to meet Chris; a helluva nice guy. And thanks for doing the taping.

One week til the Phoenix.....
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

thompson girl wrote:Anyone catch any mistakes in terms of lyrics, timing, etc.? I was just wondering....because the songs are so new, they may not be used to playing them yet. This happened at the Molson Ampitheatre show in 2004. I didn't notice it at the concert, but when I listened to the show later I realized that they completely f***'ed up Makeshift.
I thought all the new songs sounded really tight... I didn't notice any major screw-ups. It probably helps that they have already played more than half of the new songs on the Summer tour, so they don't have as many new ones to learn.

BTW, that is definitely Gord D's setlist, because if you notice there are dots beside all the songs he plays guitar on.

I was really surprised that played The Wherewithal... the way it was going it was looking like it was going to be all the new songs plus older hits (due to the many casual fans who would not know non-radio songs), so it was a pleasant surprise. I thought The Drop-Off and Little Bones back to back was really cool...

Nick
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by blacksox12 »

Just got back to Ottawa after checking out the show last night. What an awesome show! My ears are still ringing. It was the loudest show I've ever seen. The new songs sound great played live. I really liked Rink. Ocean, Luv(sic), Kids and Drop Off from the new bunch. I thought that the Wherewithal as an awesome closer for the show. The ending to that song was unreal. Johnny Fay is a fantastic drummer who beats the crap out the skins night in and night out.

Seeing them in a small venue was a real treat. Thanks MAv for offering up some tickets from your own personal stash. It was great to be a part of that last night.

Sean
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

what a great show.

new songs were out of this world.
drop off, world container, family band... wow.

one to remember for sure.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Wow, what a night in Toronto!

It was great meeting some more hipbasers and seeing Chris again.

I was up about 6 rows back in fron of Rob and and Gord Sinclair. Also right in front of the speakers, so my ears are still ringing tonight at 6:00. But it certainly was worth it.

The new songs were amazing live. It was great to hear Family Band,Ocean and TKDGI live. They were all performed perfectly, and really knocked the socks off of me.

It was interesting to see how they pulled In View off, it was loud and really rocked out. Also it was cool that they gave Johnny a bit of a drum solo at the beginning, I don't believe I have seen anything like that at any of the 13 previous shows I have been to, except for maybe a bit of a longer intro on ABAC.

I think the show got louder as it progressed, and there were times when you couldn't hear Gord's singing over the guitars and drums. It was just sooo loud!

They all seemed like they were having a great time, it was fun watching a bit of a battle between Sinclair and Baker. Baker was really jamming out too.

I hope the recordings turn out well, that shows a keeper!

Thanks again MAv for the tickets, a truly memorable night!
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Wow! :D It looks like a fantastic gig. I'm reliably informed that the Horseshoe Tavern is tiny - so I'm very jealous! I'm glad you all had fun.
thompson girl wrote:I didn't notice it at the concert, but when I listened to the show later I realized that they completely f***'ed up Makeshift.
I downloaded that show on the strength of wanting to hear 'Makeshift' live, and then he goes and messes it - bloody typical! :lol:
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Just found some pictures posted on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=tragica ... +horseshoe
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

FRONT ROW PICTURE ALERT

Post by thecompletist »

There is something about this material that seems to have the boys smiling differently. The whole vibe of this album is fresh and inspiring... especially from the sweat-dripping front row.. in front of Paul... where even the Security Guard who sings along to most of the show including the Wherewithal closer.

I had Richard Beland to my left, The Lost Barilko to my right and thehip_11 behind me to drop a few names. Paul Langlois really steps to the forefront of the live show on this tour. Watch him "lead" off KIDs with that Clash-riff..over & over... and then "harmonize" with Gord D on tracks like Pretend & World Container... I haven't heard this much Paul since Get Back Again.

Funny..the older tunes almost seemed buried in the set for me...the new tunes are always anticipated.... but they really stood out....although SPRINGTIME had me bouncing with the clapping over the head.... if that wasn't enough I wanted to "high-5" Gord d over top the security guys head... but...not this time.

Then came THE DROP OFF... full tilt, Paul, Bobby, Sincalir..johnny -pounding and Gord D...squeezing his eyes shut leaning & sweating over us... yelling "Holy f**k it's jesus".... the guitars just kept coming;;;;I didn't want that song to end.... Look out fire in the hole ...there's a new kid on the block !!!

jeffro
(arrived home with Paul's setlist & Pic)

Here are some of pictures I took... sones. 4th to last of Gord D!
HORSESHOE PICTURES
http://picasaweb.google.com/thecompleti ... showTavern

Slideshow
http://picasaweb.google.com/thecompleti ... 1040372754

jeffrow1
Last edited by thecompletist on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:30 am, edited 3 times in total.