2006-10-15 - Toronto, ON - CBC Toronto Broadcast Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-10-15 - Toronto, ON - CBC Toronto Broadcast Centre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review, I am sure this was pre recorded.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
under_pressure
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by under_pressure »

This was my first Hip show. Mindblowing.

Short, but absolutely mindblowing. I'm an awful reviewer, so I'll try to make this as short and concise as possible.

Setlist:

The Lonely End Of The Rink
Yer Not The Ocean
In View
World Container
The Kids Don't Get It
Family Band
My Music At Work
-----------
In View (Again, since the CBC guy said they wanted to get some different camera angles)
The Drop-Off (not on the setlist that I saw)

After standing in line for quite some time (and meeting George Stromolopolous (hope I spelt that right), who was really cool, I got asked some questions by him, maybe I'll be on TV haha), we all got into a really small and intimate stage area. It was all a standing area (except behind the band where people could sit), and after about a half hour or so of waiting and being coaxed by George and some other dude to cheer, The Hip took the stage.

THEY FUCKING ROCKED.

I was pretty much in the front, right near Rob, and seeing him rock was great. I'm awful with specifics, and Gord D. was certainly animated, but didn't really rant as much as I've seen him do on live videos, although he was certainly in fine form. The new songs were a LOT better live, especially Lonely End Of The Rink, World Container and Drop Off! This was the first ever performances of World Container, Family Band and The Kids Don't Get It, right? That's pretty cool, they did they extremely well for the first times.

My Music At Work was the only old song played, and I didn't mind this, because in my opinion World Container is their strongest album since TATH. Gord D. was great towards the end of MMAW, and Gord S. held the entire show together well. Afterwards, a CBC guy came on and said that they wanted to get more camera angles for In View, so the band came out and did it again, which I thought was better than the first time, and then did The Drop-Off, which is my favourite song off of WC, and wasn't on the setlist, which was great. So, so much more energy live in that song, every band member was rockin' out.

After this, as we were waiting by the elevators, Johnny, Rob, and Gord S. came out, and I was lucky enough to talk with them for a few moments, and get autographs from each one, and pics with Johnny and Rob :D

After this, we all had to leave, and even though it was short, we were all INCREDIBLY impressed it seemed. The band was extremely tight, and seeing them in such a small area and meeting them are things I'll no doubt remember for the rest of my life. Also, I'll post some pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you so much for hooking me up with tickets, MAv, and of course, thank you Tragically Hip :D
Last edited by under_pressure on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

was cool seeing them in this kind of environment, but was hoping for afew more older tunes. I have only heard 'in view' since i'm one to wait to hear new albums on release day, so i was unfamiliar with what i hear. Liked drop off, rink and kids...world container is one of the worst hip songs i have ever heard...maybe my view will change after hearing the studio version on tuesday. Who knows.

was an enjoyable experience...thanks for afternoon MAv

cant wait until the 26th
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Had a great time. Big thanks to MAv for hooking me up with tickets for the venue. I was totally not expecting to hear that many songs. I figured we'd here a bit of an interview too but I'm happy nonetheless. Family Band and Kids Don't Get it were highlights for me.

It was great to see all the hipbasers there. It was one huge group of us scattered all around. Very cool to meet TLB and see that Biga made the hike from the west coast too. Chris, you are truely hardcore flying in from Scotland this morning and then coming to the show tired to the world. Shout out too Sabatooch who was standing to my right. Nice to meet you buddy. Once again, big thanks MAv....

See you all in 2 days!
Jamie

P.S. One other funny thing. They were tearing down the stage floor and handing it out to people in the audience. Chancellor (Kris) and Beanmedic (Adam) each got a piece of the stage. Very funny!
Last edited by thehip11 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
under_pressure
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by under_pressure »

Haha, I was the one who said "Just hang it in your room" when one of the guys who got the stage asked "What am I going to do with this?"
under_pressure
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by under_pressure »

By the way, call me inept, but how do I post pics on HipBase? Am I able to, or do I need to make a Flickr or Photobucket account or something?
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

WOW!!!!!!!!! what an incredible afternoon, all the songs sounded so good. Gord was his usual animated self. It was funny during Rink when he broke the mic stand and then after the song came and handed it to the girl that was standing in front of me.

Highlights for me were Family Band and World Container, my two most favourite songs from World Container. Nice to see alot of hipbasers there and meet Mark and TLB.

I got a setlist at the end, and then unexpectedly got to meet Johnny, Gord Sinclair and Robby and got them all to sign it. After being handed 3 setlists in a row to sign, Gord joked "how many of these things are there?" Having to wait in about 5 lines was totally worth it at the end of the day. Thanks again to MAv for hooking me up with tickets. Definately an experience I will never forget.
puckstopper
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by puckstopper »

Wow, that was so much fun! Got to watch from the right of the stage with noboday in front of us. I never thought I'd get to see them play from so close up. While we were waiting in line before being led into the studio, George interviewed my girlfriend and I. She mentioned how she thinks Gord Downie is pretty sexy for an older guy...lol. Wonder if any of that will end up being aired.

Thought the set was outstanding, although it's kind of strange watching a band you know so well play songs you hardly even know the words to. Managed to get a set list afterwards and chat with Strombo a bit too. All in all a fantastic day and I can't wait to see them play at the Phoenix next Sunday. Guess I'll have to get someone to tape The Hour for us!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Photo's

Post by thecompletist »

the songs without the keyboards... really rocked... the energy was great as usual and what stood out the most was Paul Langlois. His guitar work and back up vocals... were just nuts. Jamm'in would be an understatement..he was borderline laughing a couple of times.... and at one point walked back beside johnny's drum-kit and leaned right into the riff...

Gord D. looked just a tad more sure of himself with this material...in a happy way... time will tell as we all dig our heels into the upcoming shows...

I will finish off with some photo's from the performance for those who couldn't make it.

Slideshow
http://tinyurl.com/ybt9fv
Photo Album
http://tinyurl.com/yzs25a

thanks to mav for the tix

jeffro
Last edited by thecompletist on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

i had a great time too, everyone pretty much covered the highlights, great to meet Chris Chris, and great to see such a cool little show...thanks so much MAv, totally worth the drive from London...
Last edited by jgardz on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Great little show. I got the tickets (thanks MAv) and took chancellor. We were just off stage right beside paul. got to meet thehip11, chris (chris chris) and emperor penguin again.

I think things are really getting out of hand with biga - everyone keep an eye on this situation because last time I checked he didnt live around here (at all). I see him more times than some of my friends. I think as a rule of thumb if he has been to more shows in ontario than you, you are a fake fan.

My piece of stage made it home ok and looks great. it is the piece from behind paul. If anyone has any ideas for what to do with it, pm me.

Great show - good to see everyone.
craigd
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by craigd »

Great show tonight. I was right behind Paul L and the sound was great.
I could hear Gordies singing as the monitors were cranked !!
There were about 400 people invited to this event.
The band was extremely tight !!
It was interesting being so close.
I was able to see how they work things up there.
I love the new album !! I hope everyone else does too !!

Thanks to MAv for the email and the tix.
It was nice to see some familiar faces there as well !!
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

I don't know if this has been stated yet but when is this being aired?
thanks
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Sunday October 22nd @ 11pm
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

Thanks thehip11...everyone going to the Sunday show: get your vcr's ready!