01/08/07: Victoria: Save On Foods Memorial Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

holy shit, what an amazing setlist. I didn't think it was possible to get any more excited about the upcoming string of shows I'll be seeing here in Southern Ontario in the coming weeks but my excitement level has definately been raised.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

1 week to Red Deer
this is getting exciting
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

where is the entire set list?...... approaching 24hours.....lol......come on!
MorningSunshine
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by MorningSunshine »

I WENT TO BOTH VICTORIA SHOWS~!!
On the 7th i was dead center, six rows from the stage!!!!~! :thumb: I took some reallgood pictures.
On the 8th my seats weren't as great but i used my stubs from the night before to get on the floor and up close.
The Hip are in my top 5 bands and these were the first Hip concerts I've been to. I Loved it.
My Review ~ First night ~ Great seats, soo much energy. I loved it when he rode his mike stand around the stage
~Second night ~ Better song list and better oncor. Seats weren't as good though.
The Bear
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Bear »

Okay here's a quick rundown - sorry for the delay on this but it was a bit of a late night last night!

HandsInTheRiver41 already mentioned a good portion of the setlist but a few others played were Weaken, Three Pistols and the encore ended with Locked. I have to say that I think everyone's hair and lips in the place were buffeting backward with the energy that they threw into Pistols! It was absolutely incredible! (Consider this my request for SOTD one day MAv!!) As soon as that one came out it seemed to light the place up and everyone was up and rocking for the rest of the show. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the new sound guy or the new venue, but Paul and Rob's Guitars seemed to be just that much 'crunchier' and up front than in the past. The whole place just shook with the guitars. Of course Gord was top drawer and had a few 'altercations' wiht his mic stand. The trusty red handkerchief was there too.

I liked the fact the the stage setup (as discussed in last night's reviews) had Johnny on the 'roof panel'. It was a cool effect. Man he pounds that kit! Even in songs like Scared he was just nailing them. It was cool to be able to see him on the screen since he's sometimes lost in the background.

Locked was also ratcheted up a notch. I was thinking they might wrap it up with On the Verge since they closed the night before with Bones, but this version of Locked was awesome. A great way to end the show.

I was at the show on Sunday too, and I think last night's beat out Sunday's show by just a bit. The last half (like I said, somewhere around Three Pistols) the crowd really seemed to light up. Even Paul at the end of the show gave us a 'fist rock'! I think they seemed to enjoy the show too - I hope they did! (He probably does that every time, but hey I was excited!) It was awesome to have them come to the Island so hopefully they'll be back.

Anyway there's a quick look at the night. Way, way cool!
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

although I of course appreciate and enjoy the prose reviews, any chance any one has an accurate, point-form setlist?

Thanks,
Chris
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by HandsInTheRiver41 »

Chris Tanz wrote:although I of course appreciate and enjoy the prose reviews, any chance any one has an accurate, point-form setlist?

Thanks,
Chris
I tried asking the crew for one as I left but the guy I was talking to said he didn't have one handy, as he already had given one out.
TTH: Vancouver 2004 | Victoria 2007 (x2) | Victoria 2009 (x2) | Solana Beach 2009 | Los Angeles 2009 | Victoria 2012 |
Portland, OR 2012 | Toronto #2 & #3 2016 || GD: Victoria 2010 | Montréal 2014
The Bear
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Bear »

Here it is - Managed to get a glimpse of a friend's photo of the setlist and jotted it down:

1. LOTR
2. Courage
3. Twist My Arm
4. Gus
5. Luv Sic
6. Weaken
7. In View
8. Nautical Disaster
9. Long Time Running
10. Pretend
11. Fireworks
12. Hundredth Meridian
13. 38 Years Old
14. Kids Don't Get it
15. Gift Shop
16. Scared
17. Yer Not the Ocean
18. Three Pistols
19. NOIS

Encore
20. C'Mon Everybody
21. Family Band
22. Locked

I thought Pistols came up earlier in the night, but I guess my memory's not what it used to be.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

No Springtime, No Poets?

That's a great two night run by the looks of it!

Cheers,

Pat
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

The Bear wrote:Here it is - Managed to get a glimpse of a friend's photo of the setlist and jotted it down:

1. LOTR
2. Courage
3. Twist My Arm
4. Gus
5. Luv Sic
6. Weaken
7. In View
8. Nautical Disaster
9. Long Time Running
10. Pretend
11. Fireworks
12. Hundredth Meridian
13. 38 Years Old
14. Kids Don't Get it
15. Gift Shop
16. Scared
17. Yer Not the Ocean
18. Three Pistols
19. NOIS

Encore
20. C'Mon Everybody
21. Family Band
22. Locked

I thought Pistols came up earlier in the night, but I guess my memory's not what it used to be.
mille grazie,

ct
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

By my count that's only 7 songs repeated between the two nights - 5 from WC plus NOIS and Meridian. Not quite to the level of the Fort York shows, but pretty darn good nonetheless :thumb:
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

The Bear wrote:Here it is - Managed to get a glimpse of a friend's photo of the setlist and jotted it down:

1. LOTR
2. Courage
3. Twist My Arm
4. Gus
5. Luv Sic
6. Weaken
7. In View
8. Nautical Disaster
9. Long Time Running
10. Pretend
11. Fireworks
12. Hundredth Meridian
13. 38 Years Old
14. Kids Don't Get it
15. Gift Shop
16. Scared
17. Yer Not the Ocean
18. Three Pistols
19. NOIS

Encore
20. C'Mon Everybody
21. Family Band
22. Locked

Thanks for that. :D It's good to se Scared making an appearance.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The Bear wrote: 20. C'Mon Everybody
Did I miss the discussion on who this cover is by? Is it Zepplin? Eddie Cochran? or Bryan Adams? (Those are just some names that popped up when I googled the songname)

t.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

At Holiday Jam, Gord introduced it as an Eddie Cochran tune...
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:At Holiday Jam, Gord introduced it as an Eddie Cochran tune...
As usual, thanks CK! :thumb: