01/10/07: Kamloops: Interior Savings Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

elliot g
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by elliot g »

Gord wear the same damn thing every night. either he travels very light, or there's a suitcase full of black shirts and levis somewhere.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

ikky99 wrote:Hey, Gord's Rasta-fa-rian wrist band is back! Sweeeeeet!

Setlist? Anyone? Bueller?
1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: New Orleans Is Sinking
3: Summer's Killing Us
4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
5: The Drop-Off
6: Boots Or Hearts
7: In View
8: Poets
9: Long Time Running
10: World Container
11: Springtime In Vienna
12: At The Hundredth Meridian
13: Ahead By A Century
14: The Kids Don't Get It
15: Fully Completely
16: Wheat Kings
17: Family Band
18: Fifty-Mission Cap
19: Fire In The Hole
--
20: On A Night Like This
21: Yer Not The Ocean
22: Blow At High Dough
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Thanks MAv. :D
elliot g wrote:Gord wear the same damn thing every night. either he travels very light, or there's a suitcase full of black shirts and levis somewhere.
I hope it's the latter. The amount he sweats, I would fancy wearing the same clothes more than once...
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

gotta tell ya..it was an honour to have the chance to intro the band last night...do these guys keep gettin better?? WOW!! What a show...great to meet Corby, whose pics are amazing by the way...where to begin?? well...why not with Rink..perfect opener, and NOIS right after set the tone for the rest of the night..i don't think i've ever heard Gord SING better than he did last night...and some new moves he's pulled out as well...Meridian was awe-inspiringlly brilliant...FC was intense...the new stuff sounds so freakin' unreal...and the 50 Mission/ Fire in the hole to close out the main set made me almost wet myself...Great night all around
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Corby, great pics. What song were they playing in that first pic?
Rocker_Matt
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Rocker_Matt »

What kinda merchandise were they selling at the show??? How many types of shirts were there?
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

tigerthelion wrote:Corby, great pics. What song were they playing in that first pic?
yes! exactly what I was thinking.
I can't figure it out, looks like Robbie has a 'stand up' lap steel ?
I would have maybe guessed 'blow' but Gord is playing guitar
???? I'm confused
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

cheney50mc wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:Corby, great pics. What song were they playing in that first pic?
I can't figure it out, looks Robbie has 'stand up' lap steel.
???? I'm confused
i think it was Wheat Kings, but Corby might know better
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

opiated wrote:
cheney50mc wrote:
???? I'm confused
You're probably right. I'm not much of a fan of WHEAT KINGS live to be honest. Especially in Moncton, Gord omitted a line and the song didn't flow. The band is usually tight but didn't sound like it then.

Anyway, opiated, did you introduce them as "the musical chroniclers of our time" or does Mansbridge have exclusive rights to that intro? :D
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

tigerthelion wrote:
opiated wrote:
cheney50mc wrote: yes! exactly what I was thinking.
???? I'm confused
You're probably right. I'm not much of a fan of WHEAT KINGS live to be honest. Especially in Moncton, Gord omitted a line and the song didn't flow. The band is usually tight but didn't sound like it then.

Anyway, opiated, did you introduce them as "the musical chroniclers of our time" or does Mansbridge have exclusive rights to that intro? :D
first off, Wheat Kings sounded amazing last night..probably the best i've ever heard it...and secondly, it's funny..i thought of that line as i walked on stage..i did say it had been a long time comin, but well worth wait(since it's been so long since they've played kamloops), and called them the greatest band in the world
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

Another stellar show from the boys. My first thoughts were that they couldn't top the stage set-up from the IBE tour, but I was mistaken. The new set-up was very sleek and incorporated into the performance so well that it didn't detract your focus from the music.

Impeccable setlist; not laden with the rarities we saw during the club tours, but the choices fit the venue. Poets in particular sucked you into the show, then to follow with LTR and and WC was very moving. The energy snowballed at the end of the set when Family Band fed Fifty-Mission Cap, and Fifty-Mission Cap fed Fire in the Hole. On a Night Like This was a real treat. It made the encore really feel like a little gift, not just like it was the end of the show.

The band was tight, the sound was great. Gord had a few new moves in his repertoire, and he utilized the free range of movement the arena stage offered. Not much banter between songs, but it was made up by his crazy animation. There was a moment during Fire in the Hole that was especially entertaining, where Gord S. and Rob were looking so intently at Gord to cue them out of the groove and back into the song that I thought they were going to get stuck in the song forever. I will say also, that the crowd seemed to be one of the happiest I've seen at a concert.

It was great to meet up with you Opiated, great introduction, and I'm sorry, Kelman, that we didn't have much time to catch up.

Tigerthelion, I'm trying to remember, and I think it was Wheat Kings.

Here's some of the better photos I took last night.

EDIT: The Sadies were quite impressive, some definite talent, they just need a bit of exposure, I think, which hopefully this tour will bring.
Last edited by Corby on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

opiated wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:
opiated wrote: i think it was Wheat Kings, but Corby might know better

first off, Wheat Kings sounded amazing last night..probably the best i've ever heard it...and secondly, it's funny..i thought of that line as i walked on stage..i did say it had been a long time comin, but well worth wait(since it's been so long since they've played kamloops), and called them the greatest band in the world
Right on brother! :thumb:
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Corby wrote:Another stellar show from the boys. My first thoughts were that they couldn't top the stage set-up from the IBE tour, but I was mistaken. The new set-up was very sleek and incorporated into the performance so well that it didn't detract your focus from the music.

Impeccable setlist; not laden with the rarities we saw during the club tours, but the choices fit the venue. Poets in particular sucked you into the show, then to follow with LTR and and WC was very moving. The energy snowballed at the end of the set when Family Band fed Fifty-Mission Cap, and Fifty-Mission Cap fed Fire in the Hole. On a Night Like This was a real treat. It made the encore really feel like a little gift, not just like it was the end of the show.

The band was tight, the sound was great. Gord had a few new moves in his repertoire, and he utilized the free range of movement the arena stage offered. Not much banter between songs, but it was made up by his crazy animation. There was a moment during Fire in the Hole that was especially entertaining, where Gord S. and Rob were looking so intently at Gord to cue them out of the groove and back into the song that I thought they were going to get stuck in the song forever. I will say also, that the crowd seemed to be one of the happiest I've seen at a concert.

It was great to meet up with you Opiated, great introduction, and I'm sorry, Kelman, that we didn't have much time to catch up.

Tigerthelion, I'm trying to remember, and I think it was Wheat Kings.

Here's some of the better photos I took last night.

EDIT: The Sadies were quite impressive, some definite talent, they just need a bit of exposure, I think, which hopefully this tour will bring.
Sounds like a good time. :thumb:
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

yes, Wheat Kings, looks like Paul is playing an acoustic.
I don't like the pedal steel on Wheat Kings, there's a version of it on one of the Live shows and it was it didn't sound very good.

New Years Day 2000 was the best version, Rob should use a Telecaster for that song.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

It's not a pedal steel Rob's playing, it's his accoustic, you can see the strap, it's just turned on it's side to be played like a lap steel.