01/13/07: Grande Prairies: Canada Games Arena

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

01/13/07: Grande Prairies: Canada Games Arena

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
prairiedog
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by prairiedog »

Lonely End of the Rink
NOIS
Fully Completely
Gus
Family Band
Boots or Hearts
Putting Down
Courage
Long Time Running
Pretend
Something On
At the Hundredth Meridian
ABC
In View
Nautical Disaster
Wheat Kings
Yer Not the Ocean
50 Mission Cap
Fire in the Hole

Cover song (have no idea)
Fireworks
Blow
Crashman77
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Crashman77 »

Was at GP show and it rocked, the Hip are the greatest Canadian Rock Band of all time and last night they showed why. Gord was up to his old tricks of sparring with mic stand, even smashing it in half at one point, and showing off his ass!! Improv was great and dance moves were....well, weird as usual. The sound was decent however it was the arena not band that was the problem in that area. However during the break before the encore I think I broke an ear drum!! In typical Grande Prairie fashion :x the upper seats never stood up til the applause at the end but I was in the 13 row on the floor and it rocked where I was, the audience stood and danced and sang every word they knew all the way through. I was very impressed by the great musicanship of the band..I mean I know they been doin' it a long time but they were flawless and you could see they enjoyed themselves as much as we all did. The classics were awesome and even the new stuff was great although not eveyone knew all the new material, but didn't stop them from dancing and clapping along.
I have been a fan since "Up to Here" and it was really worth the wait to see them. I hope they come back to GP cause next time I want front row seats.
Thank you Hip for coming to our small but growing city.
You were my favorite Canadian Band but after last night you are now my favorite band, Period.

Peace. :thumb:
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Thanks for the list and the review! I'm hoping Fiddler's is in rotation tonight man, 12 hours from right now the boyz should be hitting the stage :jump
Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

NIIICE.and thanx
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Cover was "I Can Only Give You Everything" by Them. Gord played it pretty often on his most recent solo tour. I liked it!

Show was good, a little too "greatest hits" for my liking, but that may have been done as a courtesy to the Grande Prairie fans who'd never seen a Hip show before. Still, I got 6 songs that I didn't see on the club tour, so I was happy. Great seats, pretty good crowd, I can't complain too much. My only issue is that they haven't stopped playing Pretend, because it absolutely kills the show's momentum. There was literally an exodus to the beer vendors when it started. New visuals are okay, but the video of the band on the screens seemed very low quality. This was compounded by the fact that they didn't have the top screen (I think there's a top screen, anyway) up (arena too small?), so they had to project Johnny on the top half of the middle ones. Non-band backgrounds were interesting but mostly static.

I've got some decent shots (many marred by a YEAH DEVIL HORNS WOO guy in the front row) which I'll get around to posting eventually.

Other notes: Gord trashed his mic stand again. Also seperated the mic from its cord at one point and did an amusing "sperm swimming to egg" bit (that's as close as I can describe it) before reattaching them. I liked the cliched rock goodbye "make a fist, to the chest, double tap" (or whatever), and Gord's dramatic lowering of the mic to the floor at the end of the set. I think he flubbed the lyrics to Fire in the Hole and Fireworks a little, but I may have just misheard/forgotten the exact order of the verses.

PS: It's a single prairie. ;)
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

daylight wrote:Cover was "I Can Only Give You Everything" by Them. Gord played it pretty often on his most recent solo tour. I liked it!
The Hip also covered this back in the 80s (more recently, full band, it's found its way into New O -- NYE 02 at the Hammer is one example).

So what's next -- breaking into the old covers vault for this tour. "Train Kept A Rolling'"? "Suzie Q?" "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl?"

Cheers,

Pat
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Photos.

Way late, sorry.