01/14/07: Edmonton: Rexall Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

sean.bonner wrote:
Zenith wrote:Really? I was under the impression they played Fireworks quite regularly. :oops:
Oh, it is! I was just pointing out how its bizarre that I haven't seen a semi-staple and have seen one of (if not THE) rarest Hip song!
Hmm, yeah. That is a weird coincidence.
elektra43
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by elektra43 »

see, I didn't realize that fiddler's green is so rare...it's one of the songs I regularly listen to, so it wasn't as special and magical for me as it might have been for some of you folks...but I guess now that I know that, in retrospect it is a pretty cool moment!

I remember during that song I totally just took it all in and (since we were in a sitting section) just kinda closed my eyes and put my head on my ex's shoulder and took the whole atmosphere in...the fact that the song almost never gets played makes it even more amazing of a moment then! :)
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

elektra43 wrote:see, I didn't realize that fiddler's green is so rare...it's one of the songs I regularly listen to, so it wasn't as special and magical for me as it might have been for some of you folks...but I guess now that I know that, in retrospect it is a pretty cool moment!

I remember during that song I totally just took it all in and (since we were in a sitting section) just kinda closed my eyes and put my head on my ex's shoulder and took the whole atmosphere in...the fact that the song almost never gets played makes it even more amazing of a moment then! :)
I guess you and the ex get along still:)

I had to say that.

Welcome.

MAv.
d_alex_d
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by d_alex_d »

MAverick wrote:
elektra43 wrote:see, I didn't realize that fiddler's green is so rare...it's one of the songs I regularly listen to, so it wasn't as special and magical for me as it might have been for some of you folks...but I guess now that I know that, in retrospect it is a pretty cool moment!

I had to say that.

Welcome.

MAv.
I too was wondering the same thing
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

The Hip help overcome all relationship trauma!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

I know they've only played about a half dozen shows so far...and my Winnipeg date is comin up real fast...but....where's the No Threat? Man that song kicks so much ass, I was really hoping it'd be comin around somewhat frequently for the WC tour.
elektra43
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by elektra43 »

MAverick wrote:

I had to say that.

Welcome.

MAv.
You guys are so funny. ;)

I won't get into details (to respect both his privacy and mine - after all, Edmonton really isn't that big of a city), but long story short, we bought the tickets when we were still together, but then broke up a day later (Oct. 25), stayed friends for the sake of the concert, sort of got back together, then we had a second (much messier) break-up at the end of December, but we've kept in touch so the concert wouldn't be super awkward.

We still get along really well as friends, so in moments like Fiddler's Green, it was good to be able to enjoy the concert WITH him instead of BESIDE him, just as great friends.

I guess The Hip just have a way of bringing people together, haha.

Back on topic: if you HAD to choose, what was your FAVOURITE part of the night?
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

to make a long story short :)
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

elektra43 wrote:just kinda closed my eyes and put my head on my ex's shoulder and took the whole atmosphere in...
If you had only left this part out, nobody would have said a thing! :lol: Glad to hear you enjoyed the show with your "friend".
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

elektra43 wrote:... then we had a second (much messier) break-up at the end of December, but we've kept in touch so the concert wouldn't be super awkward.
Hmmm... I did not know Good 'Ol Number 11 was a bad breaker-upper. :mrgreen:
elektra43
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by elektra43 »

thompson girl wrote:
elektra43 wrote:just kinda closed my eyes and put my head on my ex's shoulder and took the whole atmosphere in...
If you had only left this part out, nobody would have said a thing! :lol: Glad to hear you enjoyed the show with your "friend".
Guess I should've clarified that my head on his shoulder was just a friendly thing. The internet has no tone.

I will state for the record that yes, we are just friends.

Anyways, hopefully this conversation can be over and done with, and we can get back on topic of how great a concert it was!

:)
Captain Canada
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Captain Canada »

This show was good but for the money they dont play long enough. The Hip are really starting to gouge the fans, like id hardly think 75 dollars is nessecary. After seeing them in Chicago at the House of Blues, seeing them at a big venue was a bit of a change. But alas what can you do. The setlist was excellent, i love the World Container album, its their best since Phantom Power.
tth_fan
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tth_fan »

Captain Canada wrote:After seeing them in Chicago at the House of Blues, seeing them at a big venue was a bit of a change.
We all know that most live performances are best played in a small, intimate and interactive environment; it's not just The Hip.
When I go and buy tickets for the Hip in an arena, I do knowing that it won't sound as well as a little venue (like MacEwan Hall). One thing I hated at Rexall was hearing ppl complain of how bad the sound is.....really!!!? :roll: It's Rexall....expect it, live with it, & enjoy it.
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

sean.bonner wrote:The Hip help overcome all relationship trauma!
Correction:

"The Hip help overcome almost all relationship trauma!" :)

I won't bore you with a story of two a.m.t-h'ers who met online, fell in love and moved out to Alberta... suffice it to say that there's only one Love that'll keep people together!

Welcome, elektra43... this music'll change your life!

J.
Pez004
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Pez004 »

Obviously it's better to see the Hip in a small venue, the Jube shows in 2002 are going to be tough to top in Edmonton. However, the sound at the begining of Sunday's Edmonton show was a bit distorted, although it got better through out the evening.

I stood 3rd row floor for both the Edmonton and Red Deer show (I promise I'm not bragging) and I can say without question the sound in Red Deer was much clearer.

Although, while I liked the sound better in Red Deer, Gord D was much more energetic in Edmonton and put on a better show.

As for the hip gouging fans, please. Over the past couple of years they've done a bunch of small venue shows in Canada or played 3-4 shows in a city when they could have just played one large one, and in 2000 they did a series of concerts where they had an intermission and played 30+ songs a night.

If the hip were only interested in making money they would charge $99 and then show up for 14 songs and leave.

Plus, if you don't want to pay $75 to see them, then don't pay it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.