01/14/07: Edmonton: Rexall Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

bigA wrote:Enjoy

Summer Side of Life

p.s. I am just boarding the plane, and it is still processing, but I wanted to post this. Enjoy.
Thanks very much! :thumb:
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

I'm loving thesees covers, not only is it getting me more hyped for the Shwa and T.O. shows, but its turning me back on to all these bands that i forgot i loved
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Thanks Adrian! Very cool!
That's a pretty killer encore!
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Ok I'm a little more "with it" now than I was late last night and this morning.

strange things
The kids really don't get it, I was in the merch line behind some 14 year olds and I thought "kinda cool that they are digging the hip", and then one of em pulls a psp out and they all start playing games in the merch line! wtf is that all about?

I was kinda disappointed in the crowd in section 136, most of them sat for the entire show, I mean ya the seats were good, but to actually sit in them while the Hip is tearing up the joint....bizarre.

good things
The video screen is very cool, it does not pull focus from the band imo like some of the other shows I've seen where you can't help but watch it casue it is so big and really at the fore front of the stage. I found that it really complemented the show, and it was nice to get good looks at JF pounding the skinz.

The Set List
That was my 19th show and I gotta say the list was excellent, to finally hear FG after missing it by one night in Calgary in Oct was amazing. I'll admit that I was more than moved, I cried as I sang along, partly due to the booze and partly because my dad has been in hospital since xmas eve, so I've been a bit stressed and really needed the release. But they were manly tears ok :roll:

great to hear about cold winds blowing over private parts to, it has been a long time since I heard that one live

I thought Gord was in fine voice and fine form, he ranted and raved, but most of all he sang his guts out, and screamed his appreciation at the end of the show. The band was pretty tight, I didn't notice many glitches, but then again I thought IBE was IVL, nough said eh :mrgreen:

and finally it was cool to meet a couple of hipbasers/tapers, i think they were a bit thrown off by me asking if they were basers, but they were gracious and put up with my ramblings, thanks guys, hope you made it home safely

any other Edmonton peeps notice something I forgot?
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Not to seem selfish, but I really think Fiddler's should have been left for the club shows. Hearing people scream "I LOVE YOU GORD" and the usual "YEAAAH WOOOOOO" in the middle of that song kind of kills the mood for me, and it's just so fucking disrespectful. Yeah, you're excited, just...leave it for the next song, okay? I guess the same could be said for any slow song, really, but...yeah.

It bugged me is all.

As for people playing video games in the merch line, hey, I had my DS along for the pre-show wait in Grande Prairie, ain't nothing wrong with killing time! If they'd been playing during the show, well, that's another story. Also, if you're objecting to the fact that they had PSPs (as you rightly should), that's another other story altogether.

I do go on.
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

I really think Fiddler's should have been left for the club shows
I agree with that daylight, it just lends itself better to that type of setting, but I am still damn happy to have heard it.

I'm not really objecting to the kids and the psp, I just found it a bit strange. If the psp doubled as a camera, well that would have been different.
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

Great stuff, BigA!! Thanx again for the quick work.
dancepartyprotest
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dancepartyprotest »

what time did the hip come on in edmonton? we're making the drive up from calgary after work. i'm guessing for a 7:30 show it would be sadies at 8, hip at 9? cheers!
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Sadies 7:30, Hip 8:45, almost exactly both shows I've seen so far.
elliot g
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by elliot g »

Thanks for that info, should help for the trip on Wednesday.
elektra43
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by elektra43 »

hey everyone, last night was the first time I saw the Hip live (I've only really gotten into them in the last couple of months). it was amazing! we had really good seats, row 3 in section 119.

my ex said right before the show started, "I hope they play new orlean is sinking," and I wasn't sure if they would play it or not because it's a bit of an older one, but lo and behold it was the second song on the setlist! we both wanted to hear bobcaygeon, especially him, so it was awesome when they played that one, too.

the one song I really wanted to hear was locked in the trunk of a car...thank goodness they played it during the encore!

I also wanted to hear fireworks...is it one of those songs they generally don't play? I know there's a couple like that (sorry guys, I'm still a new fan...still learning!)

anyways, what an amazing night! gord downie is probably one of the most entertaining people I've ever seen live...the whole band was awesome.

also, who else liked the sadies? they were way better than I was expecting!
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

elektra43 wrote:hey everyone, last night was the first time I saw the Hip live (I've only really gotten into them in the last couple of months). it was amazing! we had really good seats, row 3 in section 119.

my ex said right before the show started, "I hope they play new orlean is sinking," and I wasn't sure if they would play it or not because it's a bit of an older one, but lo and behold it was the second song on the setlist! we both wanted to hear bobcaygeon, especially him, so it was awesome when they played that one, too.

the one song I really wanted to hear was locked in the trunk of a car...thank goodness they played it during the encore!

I also wanted to hear fireworks...is it one of those songs they generally don't play? I know there's a couple like that (sorry guys, I'm still a new fan...still learning!)

anyways, what an amazing night! gord downie is probably one of the most entertaining people I've ever seen live...the whole band was awesome.

also, who else liked the sadies? they were way better than I was expecting!
I'm glad you had a good time! :thumb: The first Hip show is very exciting!

New Orleans Is Sinking is (from what I can gather) a real live favourite. Fireworks usually gets a good airing as well. One of the great things about the Hip is that, unlike some bands, you never have a clue what they're gonna play! It just adds to the excitement. 8)
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Zenith wrote:Fireworks usually gets a good airing as well.
I've been to 5 Hip concerts...
I've seen Fiddler's Green live more times than I've seen Fireworks.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

sean.bonner wrote:
Zenith wrote:Fireworks usually gets a good airing as well.
I've been to 5 Hip concerts...
I've seen Fiddler's Green live more times than I've seen Fireworks.
Really? I was under the impression they played Fireworks quite regularly. :oops:
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Zenith wrote:Really? I was under the impression they played Fireworks quite regularly. :oops:
Oh, it is! I was just pointing out how its bizarre that I haven't seen a semi-staple and have seen one of (if not THE) rarest Hip song!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston