03/06/07: Indianapolis: The Who with Special Guests The Hip

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

03/06/07: Indianapolis: The Who with Special Guests The Hip

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Did anyone attend this show? Does anyone have a setlist?
DanD
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by DanD »

Let me start off by saying The Hip are one of my favorite bands out there right now making music that matters. The music/musicians I grew up with, Led Zeppelin, Stones, Who, Kinks, CCR, etc... are a little old/dead to really create any new relevant music. I still love them dearly, but it's kinda' a reminder of how old I'm getting! I was introduced to The Hip when I lived in Toronto for a few years between 1994 and 1997. I caught their July 20, 1995 show at the Cayuga Speedway outside Toronto w/Blues Traveler and Ziggy Marley. They were awesome! Hands down the best live show I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. The closest shows to that level of intensity were Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the Rust Never Sleeps Tour, The Who In Cincinnati in 1979 (yeah, where the kids weren't alright), Van Halen in '78 backing up Black Sabbath w/Ozzy (totally blew Black Sabbath off the stage... anything after Eddy and David's performance that night was a let down...., Alice In Chains on the Dirt tour (they smoked Ozzy), and believe it or not John Mellencamp on the Pink Houses tour at Dayton's Hara Arena. I've seen a couple of Dead shows, a couple of Stones shows ('81 in Pontiac w/Santana and Iggy Pop....poor Iggy... and in Lexington with Living Color), a couple of U2 shows, Dylan, Ozzy w/Black Sabbath and without, Jethro Tull, Rush, April Wine, UK, Styx, Tool, Judas Priest, Dave Mathews, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Fishbone, Smashing Pumpkins, RCHP, and too many others to name. I've been hitting shows since 13~I'm...gulp... 43 now...

Out of all the shows I've seen the Cayuga Speedway Hip show was the highlight. I was ecstatic when I saw the Hip were coming as a Support band for the Who to Indy. I scrounged $110 each up for two floor seats and brought my brother to introduce him to The Hip. He's heard me play the CDs but had never seen them live and I had this great expectation that The Hip would just destroy the Who live. When I saw the Who in 1979 they were awesome, no back up band and 2+ hours of hard rockin'. I was literally deaf for three days afterwards with nothing but ringing in my ears from Pete's wall of Marshalls. But I know Pete's almost completely deaf now and read interviews that the show was much "quieter" now and I completely understand why...

Fast forward to March 6th, 2007 Indianapolis' Pacer Arena. What a let down... If I felt old before attending I really felt old after that show! More blue hair and bald heads than I've ever seen at a concert! My brother, 36, was almost embarrassed to be part of that crowd. He spent every minute the lights were on looking around at the crowd and wondering who was gonna fall out with the first heart attack. We even started picking out the most likely candidates! It was a shame... The hip played about 30 minutes with no encores... The crowd had no clue whatsoever who they were and my brother and I were two of the ten or so people on the floor who actually stood through the Hips set even though the ushers repeatedly asked us to sit! Their sound was awesome clear and perfect volume level without the distortion the Who had in their sound system. Grace Too was the highlight of the show and they drug it out into an extended jam. Very nice. But other than that it did not come close to the 8 song set they did in San Diego in support of the Who. Needless to say the show was more than a bit of a let down... We actually came to see the Hip. The Who was just a bonus band in the mix. After their set we were all entranced (sic!!!) by the 25 minute Who infomercial on buying their new CD (don't bother...we heard some of it..like every other song the Who played that night..) My brother's and mine opinions after the show at the Buffalo Wild Wings up the street from the arena was that the Hip sounded great but didn't play to their potential and The Who was OK... as in great old song, shit new song, great old song, shit new song...lather rinse repeat...The Who even resorted to melding old songs into their new work. The crowd didn't react to the new songs at all and in a couple of places started to clap in the middle of the new songs when they were quieter to try and give them the hint. They didn't get it. Pete was and still is an amazing guitarist and had it not been for my love of guitar the whole set by the Who would've been a waste. Like I said we came to see the Hip and they let us down. Anyone notice that the March 6th Indy set list is not listed on TheHip.com? Shows up to March 13th are listed... It's no mistake the Indy set list isn't included...

I'm really hoping that they make up for short Indy/Who performance when they come to the Vogue in Indianapolis on May 10th, 2007. Yeah, I'm traveling from Cincy again to the Vogue show because I know The Hip has it going on in spades. I've already got my tickets. It's really hard to believe that after all these years we Americans have not caught on to The Hip en mass. Seeing such a great band in a club! I'm just hoping the blue hairs stay at home and Indy can pick up the enthusiasm level about a hundred fold and turn out a crowd to support one the greatest bands currently touring.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I guess the three songs we know are:
The Lonely End Of The Rink
New Orleans Is Sinking
Springtime In Vienna
Ahead By A Century (The pre-recorded track cuts in just before the SOTD cuts out).
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston