02/08/07: Toronto: Air Canada Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

You know I was holding back , but a Ramones pun deserves a thumbs up.

I stand by what I said earlier -- I wish I had been there. Because for every fan of the rocking standards The Hip play, there are folks who really really dig the lighter stuff. And then there are some who realize that hearing Fiddlers is always going to be special, no matter how many times it's been played on this tour.

Now I'm gonna have "20-20-24 hours to go" running through my head all day... sigh

Cheers,

Pat
kcpr3
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by kcpr3 »

Even if the setlist was a greatest hits, I had a wicked time! 3rd row off to Paul's side, and a bunch of entertaining fans all around me made the night!

I have about 250 some odd pics to edit, but here are a few..

thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

hotmetal401 wrote:Now I'm gonna have "20-20-24 hours to go" running through my head all day... sigh
Ha. Just for picking on me I hope that everyone endures an ear worm of "20-20-24 hours to go" for the rest of the day. :D

But I digress....kcpr3, those pictures are amazing.
zopust
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by zopust »

I wonder if the set lists are put together with consideration for the audience who will be attending the shows. For example, an arena tour would seem to draw fans from various levels of commitment, newbies and die-hards. I'd imagine, they are still trying to grow their fanbase every tour, every album.

I'm not saying this as an excuse. I think most true fans go to shows hoping to see songs they haven't heard in a long time or never at all. But the bottom line is that a large portion of the crowds are casual fans who would be disappointed if they didn't hear New Orleans Is Sinking... again.

I was at the Fort York show on the 24th last summer, and since it was released to Hip club members first, they knew that the crowd had a much higher proportion of long-time fans. Thus were able to throw in a more ecclectic mix of tunes. Also, as people have mentioned, the "Evening" tour featured 30 songs a show, so there was plenty of room for the lesser known songs to make an appearance. (That's why the "Live 10" series was such a treasure, and I'm hoping Mav gets 'em restarted here soon!)

Thoughts?
kdwdjd
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kdwdjd »

Went to all three and Hamilton was the winner in my mind. Rocking crowd, no issues from anyone around us, and I think of the three shows the best set list right down to the Head tune. Go ahead and compare............see attached lists.

Toronto ACC
8-Feb-07
Lonely End of the Rink
New Orleans is Sinking
Fully Completely
Bobcaygeon
The Drop Off
Ahead by a Century
In View
Poets
Fiddler's Green
World Container
Springtime in Vienna
At the Hundredth Meridian (Walking on the Moon + Instrumental)
Long Time Running
The Kids Don't Get It
Courage
Wheat Kings
Yer Not the Ocean
Fifty Mission Cap
Blow at High Dough

Encore:
Diamond Dogs (Bowie)
Family Band
Fire in the Hole
Little Bones

Hamilton Copps
6-Feb-07
Lonely End Of The Rink
New Orleans is Sinking
Fully Completely
Boots & Hearts
Yer Not the Ocean
Ahead by a Century
In View
Courage
Fiddler's Green
World Container
Springtime in Vienna
At the Hundredth Meridian(Dreams + Instrumental)
Good Life
Kids Don’t Get It
3 Pistols
Wheat Kings
Family Band
Music at Work
Blow At High Dough

Encore:
Picture My Face (Teenage Head)
Grace Too
Fire in the Hole

London JLC
5-Feb-07
Lonely End Of The Rink
Little Bones
Giftshop
The Dire Wolf
Family Band
Ahead By A Century
In View
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Flamenco
World Container
Fireworks
At The Hundredth Meridian(Instrumental)
Long Time Running
Kids Don’t Get It
Poets
Bobcaygeon
Yet Not The Ocean
New Orleans Is Sinking - Nautical Disaster - New Orleans Is Sinking

Encore:
Don’t Wake Daddy
Lust For Life (Iggy Pop)
Blow At High Dough
[/img][/list]
O.N.
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by O.N. »

Good show. I too was a bit surprised with the amount of repeats from Hamilton, especially after they seemed to make such an effort to mix up the club shows. Oh well, can't please 'em all. I thought the crowd & band seemed more into it in Hamilton...but that could just be me.

I noticed Robbie threw a few cover teases in there. "Jumping Jack Flash" at the beginning of Poets and the main riff from "Whole Lotta Love" during Fire in the hole. I liked Diamond Dog as the cover, seemed to have more energy than the Teenage Head in Hamilton.

Gord has more & more mime-like moves everytime I see him. The robot (wave like the queen) and his skating round the stage move seem new.

I waited 39 shows to hear Fiddler's, then heard it on my 40th(Hamilton) and again on my 41st. It makes for one happy hipster.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

What a fantastic show! For me, it's tied with night 1 at the Pheonix when I was front row dead centre. Last night I was front row but the first seat on the left side which was a bit of an obstructed view but still special.

From my area, the sound was perfect and the band sounded awesome. I have no problems with the set. Which brings me to this:

All the complainers, seriously shut up. If you heard 38YO instead of Fiddlers you'd complain not hearing Fiddlers. Be happy they played a great set regardless of what favs you were expecting. It could have been alot worse too. It was quite special IMO to hear Fiddlers, Kings, LTR among the rest last night. Not to mention they were performed flawlessly. I understand that from seats further away the experience is different (like in Oshawa when anal-retentives sit for 2 hrs and ruin it), but still, appreciate what you saw and stop finding fault! Gord was outstanding and the band was as well. Great Hip experience last night!

Ok I will write one complaint, just to fit in: When Gord gave away the mic stands to the front left corner (twice) I was between both girls. :nooooo

To make it worse, the 2nd girl was not even in my row, she was standing infront of my seat the whole night for some reason to my left. I said "since this is my seat and not yours do I get that?" Obviously kidding and she wasn't gonna bite :)
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

zopust wrote:I wonder if the set lists are put together with consideration for the audience who will be attending the shows. For example, an arena tour would seem to draw fans from various levels of commitment, newbies and die-hards. I'd imagine, they are still trying to grow their fanbase every tour, every album.
This is definitely the case, hence the gems that were pulled out for the small club shows, small crowd = die hard fans = rarities.

But, it would be nice to see at least 2 or 3 rarely played songs added into the set for an arena tour. Keeps the die hards happy and gives the casual fan a chance to use the wasrhoom.............. or whatever casual fans do..........LOL

The Stones always put at least 2 or 3 rarities in every setlist..........
laliber
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by laliber »

sean.bonner wrote:Chris's final post / 5000th wasn't even a review.

...dick.
there is a little more about it (I’m done) here.....
http://www.hipfans.com/
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

laliber wrote:

...dick.
Blimey. I don't know what to say... I thought I'd never, never see that happen!

I'm pretty sad actually. I hope I get to see you around somewhere soon, chris. :(
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

Can you say Drama Queen? i find it quite interesting that he would end with his 5000th post...
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

Zenith wrote:
laliber wrote:

...dick.
Blimey. I don't know what to say... I thought I'd never, never see that happen!

I'm pretty sad actually. I hope I get to see you around somewhere soon, chris. :(
Sadly that is one of the worst things that could happen to our little community.

Thanks for all the hard work Chris, maybe you just need a breather. You know you won't be able to stay away, but when you come back leave the camera at home, and do what the rest of us do and live in your memories.
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

Last edited by sherpa on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ceebuler
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ceebuler »

Zenith wrote:
laliber wrote:

...dick.

I find this quite sad....not because I particularly care if another fan is giving up the Hip, but because the solution seems as though it could be far less drastic; how about just going to Hip shows to enjoy them, and leaving the video camera at home. Your complaints seem to be more about filming the shows than anything. I imagine filming all the shows would be exhausting, so stop doing it! I guarantee you'll regret it if you pass up the Hip the next time they're in town.
CB
longseason
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by longseason »

I can see where Chris is coming from, but what I don't understand is why it has to be a totally clean break.

Why can't he just go back to being a casual fan? Let other people take up the work. Post occasionally on Hipbase, catch the odd show, etc.

Anyway, Chris—hope you come back for post 5,001+

If you want somebody to maintain the tracker, etc. I would be happy to help out!