02/08/07: Toronto: Air Canada Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

ceebuler wrote:
Zenith wrote:
laliber wrote: there is a little more about it (I’m done) here.....
http://www.hipfans.com/
No man could keep up the amount of hobbying Chris has been doing (and I don't know the half of it) without it being a full-time job with pay? Career, Family and balance all come into play and I've had my moments of hip-fading..... and sometimes you need to fade away to be able to come back... and no one has to come back thru the same door.

Step 1 - We admitted that we were powerless over Gord and that our lives had become unmanageable.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

ceebuler wrote:
Zenith wrote:
laliber wrote: there is a little more about it (I’m done) here.....
http://www.hipfans.com/

I find this quite sad....not because I particularly care if another fan is giving up the Hip, but because the solution seems as though it could be far less drastic; how about just going to Hip shows to enjoy them, and leaving the video camera at home. Your complaints seem to be more about filming the shows than anything. I imagine filming all the shows would be exhausting, so stop doing it! I guarantee you'll regret it if you pass up the Hip the next time they're in town.
CB
What he said.
d_alex_d
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by d_alex_d »

Dicks can only stay up for so long....eventually they must come down
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Maybe someone can start a thread concerning Chris and leave this for the toronto reviews!
maggie123
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

the best band ever..........

Post by maggie123 »

i think everyone has an idea of what they want too see. i have gone too 15 shows you almost have the setlist picked out in your head and its dissapointing when they are done and didnt play the one you wanted too hear.
we have the chance too see them so many times in some form whether a full concert or a benefit.-how many people have been too 22 WHO shows or 17 RUSH shows.
the more they play, the more someone is not getting what they want.
the reveiws for the new cd makes it sound like they were washed up but i love IVL and IBE.the great songs are not played on the radio.i have never them do dire wolf live before. i think when i go see them that in the back of my mind i wish i could hear.
the sun review says they cant beleive they filled the ACC.obviously this person has never tried too get a ticket when they go on sale.
my son in law went too hamilton and said he talked too someone who saw the barrie shows and said the thursday night was the better of the two.
i totally disagreed and of course get defensive someone could say any performance they did was bad.
its unfortuneate the sets list were similar from hamilton and toronto.that was a reason i had never gone too 2 shows in 2 nights and was happy the barrie shows were totally different aside from a few songs.
they do seem too too mix it up a bit because they know they have people going too see them more than once on a given tour.
it could depend on who you go with ,beer consumption and if someone hasnt managed too piss you off at any point by getting in front of you causing you too miss a second of the show.
my first show was the phantom power tour and i hated the hip.i still have people i know saying they cant beleive i have seen them as much as i have and remind me how i said i hated their music.
by all accounts that show was not near being the best they ever did and i went with a guy who had seen them 6 times before that that informed me of that fact.
i swear too god it was like a religious experience for me,i mean no offence with that remark but i was in trance by the end of the night..i heard a few songs i hadnt heard before, went and bought -day for night --and i was hooked.
hipgirl from stratford
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by hipgirl from stratford »

Did anyone get the feeling that the band is getting worn out from all this touring? Lets face it they are not 20 year olds, I was front row at the JLC in london on monday and I could just see it in their faces, they looked exausted. I think its impossible to give 100% every night when you are touring that much. The more shows they play the more money they make, but I feel if they are pushing themselves too hard and giving up a little bit of what makes a great show. Despite my observations I still believe they are great musicians and make beautiful music.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

This was my 3rd show in a week and 6th in 6 months(a record for me) and yeh im a bit Hipped out! Last night was a good show.Gord messed up right from the get go but thats okay.He missed the soccer mic. flip at the beginnining and started the lyrics to Rink a couple beats off.Big deal,Rink still kicks ass live.I dont care what anyone says...LTR,FIDDLERS, WHEAT,& BOBCAYGEON in the same show! I would go just for those tunes.I should mention the tug of war with the mic. stand between Billy Ray and Gord was Hilarious.Billy finally let go first,so I guess you could say Gord won.The boys do look tired and I am sure they are going to have a nice break before blessing the U.S with their presence.So the boys did summer,fall,and winter Canadian multiple dates,in large,and small,both indoor and outdoor venues,and to their loyal fan base(Belleville),as well as some European dates all in the last 6 months.They have covered most of their catalogue and we have audio & video to remind us! Not to Freaking bad.six months ago i didnt even know about hip.com,hipbase,tracker etc....All im trying to say is i am very grateful for this band and those that support! Peace
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

I enjoyed this show very much as with Oshawa, however Alexander Keiths is a dirty man and has basically washed my brain with most memories from both shows.

I was really into this show, the beer really helps you get a groove on for sure! I love to read everyone's opinions on the night, but hate when someone basically says if you don't say something nice then don't say it. I am approaching 50 shows and I thought this showed rocked hard, I sang along with every song last night and was mesmerized as usual! It was about the new songs for me, and of course would have been mighty pissed if Fiddler's wasn't played.

I am usually disappointed with the set list also, that's just a fact I've become used to, they aren't writing it for me though. When you've seen them many times you don't want to hear a song that you've heard 30 times, but I always enjoy it anyways. There are just other songs that you'd prefer to hear. I don't fully understand why they don't change it up as much, I'm sure the casual fan would enjoy Another midnight, luxury, pigeon camera, greasy jungle to just name a very few.

For the reasons I've discussed, that is why I chose to go to only two shows, because I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. My mentality used to be, I don't want to miss a show in case they play something I haven't heard yet, but I can't do it anymore because the odds are against it. I also don't understand why they dropped Luv(sic) & Last Night, that really pisses me off as they are basically my top two on the album!

Anyways, I'm a die hard for life, and can't wait to see them again soon! Mix it up a little more lads, your catalog is huge and you proved at all the phoenix shows that you can still rattle off all the songs like fined tuned machines, with the odd hiccup of course. Where the hell is No Threat, you killed that at the york!

Chris, if they come in the summer, leave your gear at home and get pissed drunk and just flow with the show man, don't even bring a still. Live for the moment, two hours of pure ecstasy is what I go for, even if I can't remember much the next day!

Sorry if you find this boring, or if it doesn't make much sense, but I am just pushing little buttons as thoughts enter my mind! Take care and long live the Hip, I am no longer sure if there is a master plan, but I hope there is!
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

hipgirl from stratford wrote:Did anyone get the feeling that the band is getting worn out from all this touring? Lets face it they are not 20 year olds, I was front row at the JLC in london on monday and I could just see it in their faces, they looked exausted. I think its impossible to give 100% every night when you are touring that much. The more shows they play the more money they make, but I feel if they are pushing themselves too hard and giving up a little bit of what makes a great show. Despite my observations I still believe they are great musicians and make beautiful music.
impossible? come on.
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

I thought Blow was a brain boiler. I thought 50 MC was a barn burner. I thought ATHM was a bag full of fun and the giraffe visual was priceless. I thought Fiddler's Green was fantastic. I was actually surprised (in a good way) by the setlist choice of Fiddler's Green + LTR + Wheat Kings. Say what you want about "Greatest Hits" and "predictability", but I don't think many people would have laid money on hearing all three of those in the same show.

I gotta say, when he said "Are there any fighters in the crowd?", I was praying that they were gonna launch into Fight. That would have been too much.

Re complaints about stuff everyone loves complaining about - Among our group of 12 at the show last night, were a couple of first timers, a couple of "it's been a long timers" and a couple of newbies, and a couple of hardcore, double-digit timers. I think there was a bit in the show for everyone: new tunes, hits, antics, cover tunes, extenda-jams, giraffe visuals, mock Stanley-Cup hoisting, microphone stand hijinks, predictable ad-libs ("Mr. Paul Langlois", "Bring Out Yer Dead", "Um, yoo-hoo", "It's the song I hate; it's the song I hate", "If my name was Courage, I'd never be late", "same Tragically Hip thing", and my new favourite: "I'll be the right whale/And I'll be parallel -- to that whale"), and general grooviness to make it a fantastic show. No one was disappointed.

People who've been to fifty-odd shows can be a little picky -- that's their right, but, hey, if you saw them in Ottawa, Hamilton, London, Oshawa, Sudbury, maybe you should have predicted there would be some repetition.

Let's not forget they played four shows in five nights in T.O. in October and, besides the brand new stuff, they repeated like two songs total in those shows.

great night!

ct
JL90
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by JL90 »

The concert was good considering I had garbage seats, wasn’t as good as my first being 2/3 row. 100th Meridian was stretched far too long and lost my attention. The set list wasn’t the greatest IMO. Otherwise it was good concert.
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

Just finished uploading some of pics my pics from the 3rd row last night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylewlane/ ... 527081281/

Excuse the noise on some of them, it was my first concert using my Canon S3IS, and I guess ISO800 is pushing it a little for that camera...man a need to get an SLR.

Here's a few of my favourites:

And this one's just funny...Gordie displaying his brute strength:

BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

RE:grimes-amazing pictures man! im glad to see my fat head wasnt in the way too much.it was nice to meet you.if i had of known you were taking awesome pics like that i would have traded you seats! peace
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

Wow. No....no....no, that doesnt look like the Winnipeg setlist at all...Isn't that kinda dissapointing? Thing I look forward to most about these reviews is seeing what they played in other cities. Maybe I'm accustomed to the set being quite different everytime, idunno, thats a little dissapointing for me.
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

BIGVDOGG wrote:RE:grimes-amazing pictures man! im glad to see my fat head wasnt in the way too much.it was nice to meet you.if i had of known you were taking awesome pics like that i would have traded you seats! peace
Haha thanks man...I'm sure your video cam made pretty good use of being in the 2nd row. And I'm tall too so I didn't have too much trouble getting the camera above your head when I needed too :thumb: