02/05/07: London: John Labatt Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

IMissMyLungBob
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by IMissMyLungBob »

Wow. The show was amazing. Oh so many times me and my brother have been fooled by the Hip about doing a NOIS sandwich, and this time was incredable especially since it was Nautical Disaster in the middle. Dire Wolf was a first for me live and it delivered. BRoach mentioned how d_Alex_d was calling "London Calling" as the cover tune and I was predicting the same thing. But the Iggy Pop tune was quite good. Cant wait to get my hands on a copy of this show.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just posted an MP3 of Lust For Life to www.hipfans.com .
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Thank You Chris! I was hoping this would come up.
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

I’ve committed way too much useless Hip information to memory over the years, like I’m sure the rest of you have. One thing I’ve always remembered was an interview with Gord Sinclair when he was asked a question about what song The Hip would cover if they still played them in concert. His answer was “Lust for Life”. After a quick Google search I found the interview, it was back in 1996 and here is the Q&A…

Q. A lot of bands are doing covers. If you had to pick only three songs, which ones would you cover? Oh, and if you were going to cover an Elvis Costello song, which one would it be?

A. This is a really tough question to answer. We toy with the idea of pulling out cover songs every time we tour, but it's really tough to come up with a consensus within the band as to what we should play. Last summer we were doing Gordon Lightfoot's Summerside of Life because it felt so right. If the guys gave me the choice unilaterally, I'd love to play Iggy's Lust for Life (did you know that it came out prior to Trainspotting?) or something like Dead dog On The Highway or Circle Circle by the Sons Of Freedom. No reason, just really cool tunes that we could rip up live. I'd probably give you a different answer on any given day. Elvis Costello has written so many great songs it's tough for me to choose. I can’t really hear us doing justice to anything he's written. - GS

If I knew, I'm sure we'd do a couple of covers. Love Elvis Costello, but again, don't know which tune we d do. - PL

Black Day In July, Summerside Of Life & Endless Wire by Gordon Lightfoot and Almost Blue by Elvis Costello - RB

North Window - from It's Sydney or the Bush by the Inbreds, Tokyo - Bruce Cockburn, To Cry About from Miss America by Mary Margaret O Hara, It Wouldn't Make Any Difference from Something/Anything by Todd Rundgren - GD

One? No! - This Year's Girl from This Year's Model and Watch Your Step from Trust - GD

Here is a link to the entire article, it’s a pretty good read…http://www.canoe.ca/HipLetter/hip_letter5.html
diehardhipfan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by diehardhipfan »

wow this was my third Hip concert and it was totally amazing.. loved it.. there was so much energy, and it was great.. and the tunes just amazed me.. i defently gotta get out to more hip shows :thumb: :thumb: :jump :lol:
skippy, remotely
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by skippy, remotely »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:Lucky Londonites.
Well, not all of us. At about the time they hit the stage, I would have been staring at the wall of my Edmonton hotel room.

And they did NOIS > Nautical > NOIS and Don't Wake Daddy....
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

BDS28 wrote:
zukes wrote:He gave her the sweater back as well. gardz wasn't far from her.
Are you sure??? I was sitting literally right beside her and I never saw her get the sweater back....
she got it back about 4 minutes or so after the band finished...Ricky met her at the railing at the far right (baker's) side, and gave it to her...Trust me, it was pretty disgustingly wet, but she was smiling!!!
Gibie
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Gibie »

Excuse my ignorance... but who's Ricky?

And on another note... who's the tech guy that wears the cowboy hat and gets all the instruments ready etc etc?
tth_fan
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tth_fan »

Gibie wrote:Excuse my ignorance... but who's Ricky?
He's the Hip's head of security...excuse my political incorrectness, but he's the big black guy.
He's a nice guy...if you're with a girl who has a nice body :lol:
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Gibie wrote: And on another note... who's the tech guy that wears the cowboy hat and gets all the instruments ready etc etc?
thats Billy Ray
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

and the tech guy is Billy Ray (can't think of his real name at the moment.) Been with the guys a long time, almost always rocks that hat.
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

jgardz wrote:and the tech guy is Billy Ray (can't think of his real name at the moment.) Been with the guys a long time, almost always rocks that hat.
ive seen him @ every show ive been to...
so he's been around for at least 7 years
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

BRoach wrote:
jgardz wrote:and the tech guy is Billy Ray (can't think of his real name at the moment.) Been with the guys a long time, almost always rocks that hat.
ive seen him @ every show ive been to...
so he's been around for at least 7 years
I think he's in the Heksenketel video, so that would mean he's been around since at least 93
Bootlegger420
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bootlegger420 »

Doesn't he joke in the Hek video about being the guy who has too clean the toilets? Must have got promoted!!
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

that is NOT Billy Ray talking about cleaning the port a potties!