02/05/07: London: John Labatt Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

^^^^

Just simply amazing... like old school Road side days... WOW, im still in awe over how they did that. My g/f thought I was nuts, but them playing it like that holds a special place for me, since the very first tiem I saw the hip the jammed ND inside NOIS.

Here you go folks, some of my pics from the 5th row:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billwoodcock/

trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Those are some great pics! You had a nice view from the 5th row!
Care to share what camera you have?
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

zukes wrote:He gave her the sweater back as well. gardz wasn't far from her.
Are you sure??? I was sitting literally right beside her and I never saw her get the sweater back....
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

Locked wrote:I just recognizing this now!!!

18: New Orleans Is Sinking >
19: Nautical Disaster (Full version) >
20: New Orleans Is Sinking

Please describe..

:thumb:

Back during ARA 93, prior to day For Night being released, it was a common staple where the middle section of NOIS morphed into the full version of ND, then would return back to NOIS at "pale as a lightbulb........."

it was classic then even without knowing ND at the time........ :thumb:
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

now that the hipbase is back up and running.....it's about time i got some thoughts down on this concert

pre-game @ taps on talbot was a lot of fun
not sure how many hipbasers were there, but i'm pretty sure i ran into a few of them

didn't make it out for buck 65 due to lack of time, and i haven't heard anything about his set yet.......anyone want to fill that in?

onto the show..
the new stage setup was really cool. i liked it a lot better than the 1 screen they had on the fall 2004 tour

the rink opener was fairly obvious (they have been doing it all tour), but it rocked nonetheless
little bones - wow.....did not see that coming in the 2nd slot placement, incredible
gift shop > dire wolf - this really got the night going for me.....dire wolf was the only song my one friend wanted to hear...he was pretty excited when they started the opening rift
family band - by far my favourite song on the new cd......it rocks live
ABAC - might have had too much to drink, cause i barely recall them playing this one
locked - fascinating.....they played it last time in 2004 at the JLC, with gord doing an "Oliver" (yes, the play) tease near the end of it...that was neat, but this version rocked too
flamenco - hadnt heard this song since my first hip show (dec 3, 2000)
world container - simply awesome
fireworks - also hadnt heard this one in over 4 years as well
100th - the whole song was a crazy adventure....from everything with gord getting the sweater from the girl, to him lounging on the mic stand, to them doing a police tease, to finally gord breaking the mic stand and handing it to the girl who gave him her sweater....it was wild
LTR, Kids, Poets, BobC, Ocean - all of these songs were great, and i was happy to hear every one of them (no specific reviews though, i was just enjoying the show @ this point)
NOIS > NAUTICAL > NOIS -- never in my wildest dreams did i think they would play this. when they busted into NOIS, i thought the set was over with that tune, but when gord started playing nautical, i was in a state of awe (can we get any confirmation on when the last time they did this was???....i'm pretty sure it's been at least 10 years, the last time i can think of was the Kumbaya festival, but i may be wrong on that one...any help??)
Encore:
Daddy - sick song, they opened Fort York night 2 with this one...
Iggy Pop - i thought at first it sounded like "i want you to want me" by the ramones, but they started singing and i set myself straight....lots of energy in this song (d_alex_d was predicting london calling by the clash, that would have been cool too)
Blow - i could have called this one from a mile away...i'm kind of getting sick of blow (ive been getting sick of NOIS too, but not when they sandwich nautical into it :mrgreen: :jump ) i wouldve much preferred any other song than this one, however, the song still does rock and the song still brings a lot of energy.....and the boys definitely finished the show on a high point

i cant wait to see them again (i dont know when that is, but hopefully soon). another fantastic night with the hip, cant wait to hear a recording of the show...
and maybe, just maybe, next time they will play membership for me :D
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

After monday's show Family Band is now one of my favorite live songs.

..Hey get the kick drum loaded!!

Awesome!
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Those are some great pics! You had a nice view from the 5th row!
Sure, I used my back up point and shoot Canon S2IS... I woulda loved to have taken my Nikon D80 in with my 70-200f2.8 lense, but wasnt sure if I would get it throug h security. Turns out there was no security at the doors. Oh well.

Thanks for the compliments. I will post more up in the next few days.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

crazykid wrote:
Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Those are some great pics! You had a nice view from the 5th row!
I woulda loved to have taken my Nikon D80 in with my 70-200f2.8 lense, but wasnt sure if I would get it throug h security. Turns out there was no security at the doors. Oh well.
The security has been very understanding about equipment this tour. I would have never in my wildest dreams thought about taking my 70-200 f2.8 to a Hip show but there have been no questions! It's great!

And you have done fabulous for a P&S.
Cheers!
t.
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

Thanks Trevor...

I looked at alof the exif data on your pics fomr the phoniex to get a idea where i should be shooting - so take some credit too.

London was an aamzing show... #24 for me, I think were gonna make the trip to Lancaster PA in April for my 25th. Something random... something off the wall.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

crazykid wrote: I looked at alof the exif data on your pics fomr the phoniex to get a idea where i should be shooting - so take some credit too.
Always glad I can help! :thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I've got a video of 100th that I'm in the process of uploading... d_alex_d sent it my way.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Amazing show. As others have metioned the setlist was great. Dire Wolf on its own is an amzing song but when performed live it gets brought to another level. Locked, LTR, Gift Shop and Daddy sounded amazing. The highlight for me was Flamenco, I didnt think I;d ever get to see this live. The people around me however took the opportunity to go to the washroom during this song. I must have seen at least 7 or 8 people around me all get up and leave during Flamenco.

Gord throwing the microphone stand as high as he could into the air and then giving the remnants of the demolished stand to the girl whose sweater he was wearing was hilarious. I think he said "you can have this if you promise not to beat up your boyfriend with it" or something. I saw Ricky give her back the sweater after the show and he was joking with her asking if she really wanted it back.

The Hip always seem to elevate their performance when they come to London.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

great vid...
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »