02/02/07: Ottawa: Scotiabank Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Angels Wings »

It was "like a rolling stone". Suppsedly they practiced that and Hendrix "let me stand next to your fire".
zopust
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by zopust »

The Lonely End of the Rink
New Orleans is Sinking
Grace, Too
Bobcaygeon
Family Band
Ahead By A Century
In View
Poets
Fiddler's Green
World Container
Springtime in Vienna
At the Hundredth Meridian
Long Time Running
The Kids Don't Get It
Fully Completely
Wheat Kings
Yer Not The Ocean
3 Pistols
Blow at High Dough
The Drop-Off
Like A Rolling Stone
Little Bones

AWESOME SHOW!!!
zopust
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by zopust »

The energy in the building was electric, which surprised me. I didn't expect that kind of response from the crowd, especially after the Constantines received muted applause.

Gord was at his best, fighting the mic stand, taking his nap, wiggling like James Brown.

Highlights for me included:

Bobcaygeon - For some reason it really worked tonight, even though Gord screwed up the beginning of the second verse :?

Ahead By A Century - The jam at the end of the song when performed live will always sum up the Hip for me.

Fiddler's Green - What can be said. I could feel the emotion in Gord's voice and in Rob's guitar. A real treasure.

Springtime In Vienna - Rocking as loud as ever, a song that improves ten-fold when played live.

Meridian - Walking on the Moon... just too cool. Likely a tribute to the impending Police reunion tour... awesome!

Long Time Running - Amazing sing along.

Wheat Kings - My 10th Hip show, and the first time I've seen them play it, again, a real treat. I loved Rob's electric on the 3rd verse.

Three Pistols - I'm really starting to feel I've underappreciated Road Apples, after seeing them rock this tune. It was likely the best song of the night, IMHO.

Like A Rolling Stone - The crowd loved it. A song we could all sing along too. The band kept it simple, but it worked well.

All in all, one of the best Hip shows I've seen... likely top 3.

And, in the off chance that the woman standing next to me comes on the board (not likely I know), I was the guy who knew when Meridian would come on... send me a PM! :D
schaggs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by schaggs »

It was - simply fantastic - for a show in Ottawa, anyhow. I've been fortunate to see some of the best hip shows during the years, I believe, but I've always been disappointed by something when I see them in Ottawa. During the "evening with" tour, the sound on the floor was terrible, during the 2004 tour, the apathy by everyone farther than 15 rows back was painful.

But, they definitely got this one right. Sound was phenomenal, performance was up there with the best ever, and the crowd was into it. There was a guy in front of me though, he was about 6'5" or so, and wearing a toque with the earflaps, and braids coming off the earflaps. I can handle a guy 6'5" in front of me, that's no problem. I'm a tall guy myself, but this hat made his head at least twice as big, and thus, made it difficult to see. (it wasn't goulet, I was farther back than that).

If Oshawa was a 9/10, Ottawa gets a 9/10, if only because Fiddlers earns the bonus points.

Now I need to recover. I don't know how some of you people go to a bunch of shows in a row. After two (and one massive detour) in three days, I'm exhausted.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Show was great! I don't know about the sound being phenomenal... we heard Gord echoing through the place up in 209. The mix seemed kinda off at the beginning too, but got better as the show went on.

Nice to hear so many from Road Apples! After 18 shows, I still see most of them so rarely. 3 Pistols kicks ass! ::thumb::
zopust
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by zopust »

ShannonW wrote:Show was great! I don't know about the sound being phenomenal... we heard Gord echoing through the place up in 209. The mix seemed kinda off at the beginning too, but got better as the show went on.
I was in the front of 116, and the sound was fine, though I could hear some reverb off the back of the SBP at some points.

But yeah, 4 off Road Apples, a special treat to be sure!
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

Great show.

Wheat Kings sounded amazing, crowd was in to it but it was Fiddler's Green that brought most of the lighters out. Gord showed how he has improved his singing over the years on both these old songs (quitting smoking etc as mentioned in The Hour on CBC interview a few months ago.)

Wow... nothing played newer than Phantom Power except for songs from WC. I actually could've done without a few of the older songs... Fully Completely in particular in exchange for Luv (sic) and/or Last Night I Dreamed but this was probably the best set list I've seen in a while, yes even with Nautical noticeably absent :)

The beer sale cut-off at 8:45 (right when Hip took the stage) sucked... yes I got caught in line 30 seconds too late... but did cut out some of the drunken-fat-guy-singing-along-louder-than-the-band-and-spilling-his-beer-everywhere that I remember from previous shows (which I don't mind THAT much as long as he knows the words...)
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Great show -- I was 4th row, section A and it was a blast to see to facial expressions, the sweat fly and the band just keep grooving no matter what Gord was doing.

Not only a great show, but a great crowd -- Ottawa stood through a whole show! I was really supirised by the age of the floor around me -- I'm 35, and was generally on the younger side. But they were fans, both of old and new stuff.

Highlights for me would be Fiddler (Gord's look to the sky after the song, the bass drum emphasis that's been added), the crowd painting, and actually World Container -- songs has grown on me on the album, and they nailed it live. Agree on Gord's singing, you really notice how much it has imrpoved on Long Time Running.

Gord's smile after his Bobcaygon flub was funny, and his added "tough town".

About show #19, and ranks right up there and likely the best arena show I've seen. Being 10 feet away helped!
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

review from the sun, 3.5 stars ...

Scotiabank Place, Ottawa - February 2, 2007

By ANN MARIE MCQUEEN -- Sun Media

OTTAWA - The Tragically Hip opened their show with The Lonely End of the Rink in front of 9,000 people at Scotiabank Place last night, though it seemed anything but on Gord Downie's stage.

The eccentric frontman, lithe and lean in black from head to toe, proved he is as entertaining as ever.

The band's faithful fans -- is there anything but when it comes to Canada's Hip? -- loved Downie whether he was playing the clueless mime or "my mic stand is a recliner and I'm just going to sit here leaning on it."

He was odd from the get-go, but in a good way, jumping around like some sort of hopped-up sprite, animating a white handkerchief as though he were engaging in some sort of performance art instead of clowning around in the middle of a rock show.

The Hip (including guitarists Bobby Baker and Paul Langlois, bassist Gord Sinclair and drummer Johnny Fay) touring on their latest album World Container, were as tight as ever, though I did detect their single In View seemed slightly out of tune initially.

And Downie messed up the words in the first part of good old Bobcaygeon, but got quickly back on track, and as he explained it, "whatever."

Downie dedicated a typically nice-and-easy rendition of Wheat Kings to "the Senators in this town -- the real Senators, the ones who get something done" to raucous cheers.

Many there last night, I suspect, are less accustomedto seeing The Hip inside on a February night. And it does take a little getting used to, especially when they are so conducive to rock festival fun.

Kingston's favourite sons' stage was spare, four panels onto which were projected profoundly Canuck images of snowy trees and workmen.

Blue-hued floodlights set the mood for slow-rocking, sweet and subdued tunes from their early catalogue like Long Time Running.

Things fired up for beloved Hip hits like New Orleans Is Sinking and At The Hundredth Meridian, and the crowd, ever patient with their old friends, hung on as the group peppered the set with unfamiliar selections from World Container.

Downie can make a crowd buy in no matter what he's doing though, and that includes random, high-pitched shrieking, hurling himself into a some sort of awkward half salchow or casually belting out "War is hard work" in the middle of what is just a really cool song.

In the end, at two hours, it was what any typical Hip show is, inside or out, summer or winter, new tunes or old: Satisfying, stirring, oddly patriotic and comfortably familiar.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

I absolutely loved the show, I thought it was fantastic. Thanks to the TTH presale for the sweet seats, it was an absolute treat being right up close like that. I met a couple of "lurkers" on the Hipbase last night who were in the row in front of me and they were having a hell of a time...they knew every single word to every song...even the new ones, which, in my eyes, is the mark of a true fan. To the guy I met last night, start posting on here...we need more fans like you to keep this place going strong.

Although Fiddler's is no longer a setlist surprise it was no less special for me being the first time getting to hear it played live. I was literally in awe for the entire song...that was really cool.

After the show I headed back stage... drinks kept a flowin' and the headache is definitely a poundin' right now. But, as usual it was a hell of a party. I told Paul about his t-shirts that are being featured right now in the Hipbase shopping mall and he thought that was pretty hillarious.

So overall, I have to say that was a hell of a show and I'm really looking forward to the next time the come back to town.

BTW I gave Gord S shit for not playing any of the tunes I requested earlier in the day. He said we basically have no chance of ever getting Get Back Again to see the light of day...but fear not...they said that about Fiddler's Green too.
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

robert goulet wrote:
After the show I headed back stage... drinks kept a flowin'
I've seen other members on here mention that they went backstage as nonchalantly as they went to the bar for beer. Is this that commonplace? How does this happen? I am pretty sure I would never want to do this for fear of emulating a segment of "The Chris Farley Show," but I am still interested.
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

Yes, it was a good show. I am suprised we got nothing from IBE or MAW or even IVL....... Glad to see 4 Road Apples tunes thou.

I cannot add much beyond what has already been said, though I loved my 4th row, Section B, end of the row seats. That is the closet I have been to the Hip since around '92 or so at the Halifax Metro Centre for the FC tour!

So, thanks to MAv and the presale stuff.

I was a bit let down they stuck to the standard 3 song encore, given they have 3 days off now I think.... but that was my only complaint.
danwalker
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by danwalker »

A fantastic show.

Thought I'd add that a few pictures from the sound check and show are here:

http://www.a1great.com/

and

http://www.onvertigo.ca/

Enjoy.

dan
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

GBV wrote:OTTAWA - The Tragically Hip opened their show with The Lonely End of the Rink in front of 9,000 people at Scotiabank Place last night
doesn't scotiabank hold close to 18000?
was the stadium half filled??
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

--was the stadium half filled??

Pretty much. Lots of people came dressed as empty seats.