02/02/07: Ottawa: Scotiabank Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

Well my first Hip show in 10 years didn't disappoint. Sitting in the second row perhaps had a positive influence as well. Like a Rolling Stone was a highlite for me. Wish they could have played for another hour. It flew by. There were a couple guys 4 seats over from us filming and recording it. Hipbasers probably. Didn't get to talk to them as they were quite busy. One guy had a Canadiens touque on. Most of my pics are out of focus do to lack of skill at holding a camera steady while grooving.

5/5 for me.

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

A little lite on reviews and stories here ...or long on the recovery.... and rides home....
Last edited by thecompletist on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

colinjardine wrote:There were a couple guys 4 seats over from us filming and recording it. Hipbasers probably. Didn't get to talk to them as they were quite busy. One guy had a Canadiens touque on. Most of my pics are out of focus do to lack of skill at holding a camera steady while grooving.

5/5 for me.
They are Hipbasers, and there's only one of guy I know that is willing to walk around wearing a Canadiens toque...
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

I really enjoyed it...wouldn't put it on a par with the 'evening with...' or the club show I saw in Montreal in November, but it was a great performance all in all. Especially after finally getting the "I've never heard 'locked in the trunk..' monkey off my back last fall, I could just enjoy the set as it came, so even the warhorses that had bored me in the past (like ABAC and fully completely) I really could listen to them for what they were. (The pissbreak during 'springtime...' probably helped, too.) Three pistols was great, a monster version of 100th, and being the massive dylan fan I am, LARS as the cover was pretty special.

I have to laugh, though...had you told me six months ago, I'd be mildly disappointed to see fiddler's green *again*....I'd have laughed long and hard.
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

What a great version of Hundredth Meridian. It was the longest version I have ever witnessed. I can't remember what song it was they were playing towards the end of the jam...anyone catch that?

That was the first time I have seen an Ottawa crowd actually stand up.

The cover was really cool. It was nice to see the band play something that didn't have their sound to it. The crowd, and myself, loved it.

Where the hell did Gord learn to swing a baton like that? He looked total pro at it.
Last edited by Andre Cardinal on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

BRoach wrote:
GBV wrote:OTTAWA - The Tragically Hip opened their show with The Lonely End of the Rink in front of 9,000 people at Scotiabank Place last night
doesn't scotiabank hold close to 18000?
was the stadium half filled??
Well they don't open the sections behind the stage. Can't remember if they used a full (20,000) layout for earlier Scotiabank (formerly Corel Centre/Palladium) shows.

But it wasn't sold out anyway (300 level seats were still available a few hours before the show.)
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

chris wrote:
colinjardine wrote:There were a couple guys 4 seats over from us filming and recording it. Hipbasers probably. Didn't get to talk to them as they were quite busy. One guy had a Canadiens touque on. Most of my pics are out of focus do to lack of skill at holding a camera steady while grooving.

5/5 for me.
They are Hipbasers, and there's only one of guy I know that is willing to walk around wearing a Canadiens toque...
Did he look like this?Go Leafs Go! :lol:

http://picasaweb.google.com/BIGVDOGG/Tr ... 4571216242
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

that was him. Is he a member here? I was wondering how long it takes for them to turn it around and get it on the net.
das_hips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by das_hips »

Like a lot of people, I was actually surprised at how energetic the crowd was. The shows at Bluesfest are always pretty rambunctious, but typically the arena shows are a little more subdued. As was previously noted, that version of ATHM was absolutely ridiculous. I was almost convinced that Gord was on the verge of a nervous breakdown; lying down against the mic stand with his handkerchief across his face, it really appeared the band look concerned, but I haven't seen them this tour, and that might be normal.

The song that they quickly touched during ATHM was 'Walking on the Moon' by the Police, and I think just before that they played a little bit of some Peter Frampton tune (I'm almost positive Gord was trying his best at the talking guitar, and it sounded familiar).
Flame N' Co.
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Flame N' Co. »

Another excellent show with bitchin' seats!

It was nice meeting Goulet at the show...I'm one of the hipbase lurkers you met...I was hanging with the dude with the Downie Bruins jersey...

Great Dylan cover...better than Dylan's version I saw last fall...lol...and loved the hint of Walking On The Moon

Great show, great energy, great hangovers...lol

Hope to see Goulet and other hipbasers at the next show
exnihilio
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by exnihilio »

There were a couple guys 4 seats over from us filming and recording it. Hipbasers probably. Didn't get to talk to them as they were quite busy. One guy had a Canadiens touque on. Most of my pics are out of focus do to lack of skill at holding a camera steady while grooving.

5/5 for me.
Oh God, here's hopin' they were filming it for a DVD torrent.
I recall that the last Ottawa show at the Civic Centre some locals drummed up an awesme DV with menus as well as Joel Plaskett Emergency's opening set.
Yes my friends, it was a 2 DVD menued release.
Was just spectacular.

But Gord last night...I've never seen him more entertaining....it was kinda a distrubed, very humerous entertaining. But damned entertaining non-the-less!

Any chances of another DVD release gentleman?
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

He reminded me of Jim lahey on the Trailer Park Boys while he pretends to be drunk, Gord just pretends. Showman extrordinaire. I hope there's a DVD too. That would rock.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

colinjardine wrote:that was him. Is he a member here? I was wondering how long it takes for them to turn it around and get it on the net.
It takes as long as it takes.

The tapers that I know who were at the show will share their recordings through www.thehiptracker.com
colinjardine wrote:He reminded me of Jim lahey on the Trailer Park Boys while he pretends to be drunk, Gord just pretends. Showman extrordinaire. I hope there's a DVD too. That would rock.
I have a pile of about 15 shows to edit and author to DVD.... I'm working on shows from last summer/October. And there are a few really dedicated fans/tapers who have been to just about every show this year, and taped them all... and are also very busy guys, so there are no timelines set on when things will be released. But you can count on the fact that when they are, they will be posted to www.thehiptracker.com

exnihilio wrote:
There were a couple guys 4 seats over from us filming and recording it. Hipbasers probably. Didn't get to talk to them as they were quite busy. One guy had a Canadiens touque on. Most of my pics are out of focus do to lack of skill at holding a camera steady while grooving.

5/5 for me.
Oh God, here's hopin' they were filming it for a DVD torrent.
I recall that the last Ottawa show at the Civic Centre some locals drummed up an awesme DV with menus as well as Joel Plaskett Emergency's opening set.
Yes my friends, it was a 2 DVD menued release.
Was just spectacular.

But Gord last night...I've never seen him more entertaining....it was kinda a distrubed, very humerous entertaining. But damned entertaining non-the-less!

Any chances of another DVD release gentleman?
Eventually.... :thumb:

The guys you saw taped it, as did the guy who put out the last Ottawa DVD.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

das_hips wrote: they played a little bit of some Peter Frampton tune (I'm almost positive Gord was trying his best at the talking guitar, and it sounded familiar).
One guy behind me seemed really pissed off about that, and he left muttering something about "Peter Frampton"... yes he left the show and didn't come back. Weird.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

Thanks for the info Chris. I see there is a torrent up now. I'll start to download and seed it too.